• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Question?

Fans can't complain about the best players wanting to get paid, and then at the same time complain that there won't be enough talent to watch.
Have you never heard of amateurism? Geez, not everyone should get paid. I went to a reasonably high level baseball, I was an all state catcher, I never expected to get paid, I didn’t make it high enough to get paid. They are NOT professionals, at least they weren’t, until now. Now they are.

Let's see the financial books of the XFL after the season. I doubt it will show enough progeress to have Fox and other busineses continue to put money into it. But we'll see.

If they lose their minor league programs they have now (i.e., college football the way it is now handled) they'll need something. It's been their free minor league for some years now.

Turing lose big boosters to pay for play as well as turning loose the gambling industry and partnering up with it will produce professionalism at the college football level. The only thing left to discover is exactly what form it will take.

I suspect that there are enough rich alums around to field quite a few college affilated pro teams. We'll see, but it probably won't be an XFL-type answer.

My guess that there will probably be around 40 or 50 colleges that still will claim they have colege football teams but will have professional players. Maybe some will have an outright affiliation with some kind of league. I think it's too early to tell.

But one thing that is sure to go is the prohibition on players playing in the NFL at any time they are qualified physically and mentally to do so.

Last edited:

If they have talent? Yes. If the NFL is involved? Yes. If the play is really good? Yes. These USFL teams couldn’t beat Oklahoma State or Baylor, maybe not even Nebraska, much less Alabama or LSU.
Having 18 year old talent doesn't guarantee eyeballs. How many people watch high school football on TV?

Let's see the financial books of the XFL after the season. I doubt it will show enough progeress to have Fox and other busineses continue to put money into it. But we'll see.

If they lose their minor league programs they have now (i.e., college football the way it is now handled) they'll need something. It's been their free minor league for some years now.

Turing lose big boosters to pay for play as well as turning loose the gambling industry and partnering up with it will produce professionalism at the college football level. The only thing left to discover is exactly what form it will take.

I suspect that there are enough rich alums around to field quite a few college affilated pro teams. We'll see, but it probably won't be an XFL-type answer.

My guess that there will probably be around 40 or 50 colleges that still will claim they have colege football teams but will have professional players. Maybe some will have an outright affiliation with some kind of league. I think it's too early to tell.

But one thing that is sure to go is the prohibition on players playing in the NFL at any time they are qualified physically and mentally to do so.
Few are ready for the NFL out of high school. It’s different than basketball. Adrian Peterson comes to mind. Zero quarterbacks are ready for the NFL out of high school.

Having 18 year old talent doesn't guarantee eyeballs. How many people watch high school football on TV?
If the best recruits are going the way of the XFL, then people may watch it. I guess what I’m saying is, it could replace college football in a sense. You could have a watered down college version. Basically, college football as we know it is going to change drastically. There might be 25-40 programs able to compete. I’m not sure, but status quo is done.

Have you never heard of amateurism? Geez, not everyone should get paid. I went to a reasonably high level baseball, I was an all state catcher, I never expected to get paid, I didn’t make it high enough to get paid. They are NOT professionals, at least they weren’t, until now. Now they are.

When was the last time you think big time college athletics was amateur?
And yes, if players are bringing hundreds of millions for everyone else, they should get something.

Because college football will suck. The best players won’t be in college. Fans are already being turned off. Wake up!
Best players are not necessarily in CBB. Some are leaving for short professional stints overseas and/or G-League. Many of the best are one and done’s. Chet Holmgren for example has not grown into the player he will be in a few years.

If Bryce Young went to XFL then Casey Thompson or someone like him will end up QB-ing Alabama.

There are 65 P5 schools each with 85 scholarships … 5,525 athletes. If 100 of them, albeit the best of them, went to the XFL there is still 98.2% left for college.

Ok. Academic scholarships offer much the same. Those students can make as much money as they want outside of school.
Until it destroys the sport that allows them to do so. Then they can go play for the Rock, maybe, and get no education. Well, some of them.

Until it destroys the sport that allows them to do so. Then they can go play for the Rock, maybe, and get no education. Well, some of them.

So the coaches making millions wasn't a contributing factor as well? How about schools making money off the players through uniform sales and video games?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back