• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked QB recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, perhaps he should have been recruited before the others, wouldn't that make sense? Facts are, we are scrambling, and that's OK, nothing to be too upset about as long as we don't get shut out.

I can understand people at times taking issue with the decisions made the coaching staff. What I do not understand is that for you its always negativity never a positive comment have I seen you post. You immediately jump on anything that you can spin to your view point. How about looking at the whole picture once in a while. It is quite apparent of your dislike for Bo Pelini as you never hesitate to attack him.

GFoA makes things interesting around here. Don't have to agree with him, but his viewpoint and collection of shiny lures can be appreciated for what they are.....

There is a perception that schools try to lock up their top QB targets early so that they can build their classes around them.

It would be interesting to see which of the top teams (maybe just take the top 25 ranked teams from last year) have already found their QB. Or alternatively, how many of the 4 and 5 star QB's have already given a verbal commitment, and how many are left.

I would try to do it but I don't have time right now. :)

I can understand people at times taking issue with the decisions made the coaching staff. What I do not understand is that for you its always negativity never a positive comment have I seen you post. You immediately jump on anything that you can spin to your view point. How about looking at the whole picture once in a while. It is quite apparent of your dislike for Bo Pelini as you never hesitate to attack him.

The whole picture (4 straight 4-loss seasons) and each piece that makes it up is exactly what I look at. Bo is responsible for it all, so he rightfully owns the criticisms because he is the one person who can do something about them. I rarely mention players in anything but a very positive way, unless they are being misused or underdeveloped by the coaching staff. I rarely criticize any of the assistants because they are doing Bo's bidding and he has the power to change anything they do. To be honest, I think that every starter on the team and every assistant coach on the team is better at their job than Bo Pelini is at his. I believe he was likely a very good defensive coordinator/coach, who inherited some great talent and was hired into some enviable positions. He parlayed that relative inexperience (with significant success) into a head coaching position at a school that should never be hiring a head coach that needs on-the-job training. We have been seeing the results, it all comes from Bo. We've seen the offensive indecision, constant experimentation and poor decision making. We've seen the defense look great with Suh on board and then begin to flounder as the inherited talent wanes. We've seen teams that look great for a quarter or two, fall completely flat and become unnerved, much like their coach. We've seen the team decide not to show up at all. Other than "righting the ship" (after Callahan drove the program into the ditch), which I believe any competant coach could have done, he's shown no progress...in fact last year, and perhaps the year before, was a regression. There really isn't much to be pleased about unless you are happy with 4 loss seasons...I'm not. But hope springs eternal, maybe this year will be different. If not, I'm sure Bo will find another excuse.

Last edited:

The whole picture and each piece that makes it up is exactly what I look at. Bo is responsible for it all, so he rightfully owns the criticisms because he is the one person who can do something about them. I rarely mention players in anything but a very positive way, unless they are being misused or underdeveloped by the coaching staff. I rarely criticize any of the assistants because they are doing Bo's bidding and he has the power to change anything they do. To be honest, I think that every starter on the team and every assistant coach on the team is better at their job than Bo Pelini is at his. I believe he was likely a very good defensive coordinator/coach, who inherited some great talent and was hired into some enviable positions. He parlayed that relative inexperience (with significant success) into a head coaching position at a school that should never be hiring a head coach that needs on-the-job training. We have been seeing the results, it all comes from Bo. We've seen the offensive indecision, constant experimentation and poor decision making. We've seen the defense look great with Suh on board and then begin to flounder as the inherited talent wanes. We've seen teams that look great for a quarter or two, fall completely flat and become unnerved, much like their coach. We've seen the team decide not to show up at all. Other than "righting the ship" (after Callahan drove the program into the ditch), which I believe any competant coach could have done, he's shown no progress...in fact last year, and perhaps the year before, was a regression. There really isn't much to be pleased about unless you are happy with 4 loss seasons...I'm not. But hope springs eternal, maybe this year will be different. If not, I'm sure Bo will find another excuse.

:lol::lol:..........oh, I forgot you're serious.....

Every positive thing that happens under Bo, the credit goes to the players or previous coaches (JUCO, or as you mentioned in an old thread, the high school coach gave the kid everything he needs to be successful at this level). Bo, inherited such great wealths of talent, so, how dare we give him any credit for any type of success he may have with the team.

But everything that goes wrong with the program, weather it's, a player getting into an altercation at a bar, a kid choosing to transfer to be closer to home, a coach not developing a player to be all american and/or having to switch his position because of need, or a kid just never living up to the hype given to him upon his entry into the program..........It's Bo's fault because he's the man in control.........

I'm really enjoying my vacation at the moment. But I love coming to HuskerMax to be entertained by the rants of the Greatest Fan of All. If only we can be half as great a fan.

Last edited:
So committing late has a direct correlation to onfield results during a college career. If he commited earlier he would be starting already. Interesting
:sarcasm:

I never said that, but the poster I was replying to was pointing to BCarnes as an example of us landing someone late. Of course, that same type scrambling could yield results again this year, I am hoping for that, but Carnes hasn't proven a thing here yet. Recruiting late may work, but it's not the preferred route, 8 of the top 10 dual threat QB's (Rivals) for 2013 have already committed, and were just getting started looking at new guys.

:lol::lol:..........oh, I forgot you're serious.....

Every positive thing that happens under Bo, the credit goes to the players or previous coaches (JUCO, or as you mentioned in an old thread, the high school coach gave the kid everything he needs to be successful at this level). Bo, inherited such great wealths of talent, so, how dare we give him any credit for any type of success he may have with the team.

But everything that goes wrong with the program, weather it's, a player getting into an altercation at a bar, a kid choosing to transfer to be closer to home, a coach not developing a player to be all american and/or having to switch his position because of need, or a kid just never living up to the hype given to him upon his entry into the program..........It's Bo's fault because he's the man in control.........

I'm really enjoying my vacation at the moment. But I love coming to HuskerMax to be entertained by the rants of the Greatest Fan of All. If only we can be half as great a fan.

When he starts winning some championships, he'll start to earn some credit.

A couple of things to consider here.

1) We could take two QBs in this class.

2) Wait until we have our QB camp. I am told someone could emerge from this years' camp if all goes well.

I never said that, but the poster I was replying to was pointing to BCarnes as an example of us landing someone late. Of course, that same type scrambling could yield results again this year, I am hoping for that, but Carnes hasn't proven a thing here yet. Recruiting late may work, but it's not the preferred route, 8 of the top 10 dual threat QB's (Rivals) for 2013 have already committed, and were just getting started looking at new guys.

So should we cut Carnes? Or shnould USC have cut John David Booty or Mark Sanchez because they didn't produce their redshirt freshmen year because they had someone starting in front of them? What are you getting at with not giving Carnes or our staff credit with that recruitment?

Again, Carnes was committed somewhere before we got his verbal, and you are trying to say we are in a heap of trouble because 8 of 10 dual threats on Rivals are committed.....

The whole picture (4 straight 4-loss seasons) and each piece that makes it up is exactly what I look at. Bo is responsible for it all, so he rightfully owns the criticisms because he is the one person who can do something about them. I rarely mention players in anything but a very positive way, unless they are being misused or underdeveloped by the coaching staff. I rarely criticize any of the assistants because they are doing Bo's bidding and he has the power to change anything they do. To be honest, I think that every starter on the team and every assistant coach on the team is better at their job than Bo Pelini is at his. I believe he was likely a very good defensive coordinator/coach, who inherited some great talent and was hired into some enviable positions. He parlayed that relative inexperience (with significant success) into a head coaching position at a school that should never be hiring a head coach that needs on-the-job training. We have been seeing the results, it all comes from Bo. We've seen the offensive indecision, constant experimentation and poor decision making. We've seen the defense look great with Suh on board and then begin to flounder as the inherited talent wanes. We've seen teams that look great for a quarter or two, fall completely flat and become unnerved, much like their coach. We've seen the team decide not to show up at all. Other than "righting the ship" (after Callahan drove the program into the ditch), which I believe any competant coach could have done, he's shown no progress...in fact last year, and perhaps the year before, was a regression. There really isn't much to be pleased about unless you are happy with 4 loss seasons...I'm not. But hope springs eternal, maybe this year will be different. If not, I'm sure Bo will find another excuse.

Just reading your first sentence tells me your agenda. It could easily be changed to 4 straight 9 win seasons is not easy and should give Bo MAJOR credit, as look at the list of schools that have done that. Not many...

For as much as you claim that people just put Bo on a pedastal and they have blinders on and don't hold him responsible, I think everyone here would agree that you are the polar opposite of what you are trying to rake everyone over the coals for. You give no credit when credit is due, you look at the negative in everything, and can find no reason on the goods.

Just reading your first sentence tells me your agenda. It could easily be changed to 4 straight 9 win seasons is not easy and should give Bo MAJOR credit, as look at the list of schools that have done that. Not many...

For as much as you claim that people just put Bo on a pedastal and they have blinders on and don't hold him responsible, I think everyone here would agree that you are the polar opposite of what you are trying to rake everyone over the coals for. You give no credit when credit is due, you look at the negative in everything, and can find no reason on the goods.

IMO I have given him all the credit he deserves. I have said he is a good coach, just not good enough for Nebraska. Yes, he has won 9 games in each year...frankly, at Nebraska we shouldn't be praising 9 win seasons we should be demanding more. I believe 9 wins is the absolute minumum expectation for any Nebraska football season...including those occassional down years. So yeah, Bo deserves credit for barely exceeding the minimum expected outcome for 4 years....hooray for Bo! On an A-F grading scale he is a C.

Last edited:

So should we cut Carnes? Or shnould USC have cut John David Booty or Mark Sanchez because they didn't produce their redshirt freshmen year because they had someone starting in front of them? What are you getting at with not giving Carnes or our staff credit with that recruitment?

Again, Carnes was committed somewhere before we got his verbal, and you are trying to say we are in a heap of trouble because 8 of 10 dual threats on Rivals are committed.....

Never suggested any such thing and I am quite confused why you would suggest so?

So are you suggesting you believe we will flip another verballed QB? I doubt it. If we do, it will likely be another already committed to a lesser program than Nebraska.

PS--regarding not giving "credit" for Carnes, please re-read post #36, that might help you out.

Last edited:
Never suggested any such thing and I am quite confused why you would suggest so?

So are you suggesting you believe we will flip another verballed QB? I doubt it. If we do, it will likely be another already committed to a lesser program than Nebraska.

PS--regarding not giving "credit" for Carnes, please re-read post #36, that might help you out.

You are wondering why there is any hope when he only had 23 yards...I gave examples on why that is irrelavant...

In regards to someone committing that may be verbaled elsewhere, it could happen.

It could, but as I mentioned...it is not the preferred way to recruit. You don't want to have to pull a rabbit out of the hat. You need to do you work in a timely workmanlike manner. Sure, some years this will happen and you may get lucky scrambling. Who knows? Carnes might yet win a Heisman, but we don't have any idea whether that scrambling got us the right guy yet. Check out the new thread article:
http://www.huskermax.com/vbbs/showt...-Article-quot-B(u)y-The-Numbers-QB-Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back