• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Projected Starting Lineups for 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to free up that schollie sooner? I dont see his logic then. If a kid is not going to play, you use his redshirt. I dont care the position or the class of the player. Whether he is injured or cannot break into his position groups rotation. If you dont consider it a benefit to have a kid in your program an extra year then why is he worth a scholarship to begin with?

I don't think anyone expected Maher to perform as well as he did. I don't think the coaching staff did either. I think that's why he played. Also it may have partly been wishful thinking that he would be able to step in to the Kunalic role. I don't know kicking that well but is it possible for him to look good in practice but not get it done in games???

Last edited:

I think it is always a benefit for a kid to enroll early and participate in Spring Practices. Those 15 practices springboard a team towards summer workouts and fall camp. If the kid is mature enough to handle college early he should. Then again, if he is on course to graduate ahead of schedule he is showing his focus and maturity already IMO. Besides the Spring exposure to the coaches and the fundamentals they install then, the kid also gets to begin workouts with James Dobson and begin transitioning to a D-1 athlete. I am 100% in favor of having as many kids as possible enroll early. Start the learning of the system, weight training, etc. ASAP is how I see it.

I could not agree more. I read recently in an Alabama newspaper that 9 (I believe) incoming recruits were in school for the spring semester. This gives them, along with oversigning, another advantage. The chance to adjust to college life, the weight and nutrition programs, and then spring practice--all good. This is a great thread to help us get to the spring game.

Just to free up that schollie sooner? I dont see his logic then. If a kid is not going to play, you use his redshirt. I dont care the position or the class of the player. Whether he is injured or cannot break into his position groups rotation. If you dont consider it a benefit to have a kid in your program an extra year then why is he worth a scholarship to begin with?

Could be just a miss evaluation. I'm not saying it's the case but the logic is sound.
If it is clear early on that maybe the kid just isn't as good as he was on film or as good as the coaches thought he was and its a miseval on talent, why redshirt him? It ties up that spot for another year.

Again, not saying it's the case here, but it makes sense.

That's my guess. He didn't RS Kunalic, even though he didn't have a K for the following year, although he did handle KO duties. Probably left it up to Bondi, as well.

Yeah I was surprised over how that played out too. I thought it was a win/win to redshirt him that last year. Give him a season to kick for Nebraska and showcase for the NFL. He obviously was good enough and luckily got a chance to catch on with the Carolina Panthers.

I looked it up and indeed he wanted to redshirt his senior year just for that reason.

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_c4562bdf-8279-56eb-9f29-42005dc7787a.html

With Kunalic being a scholarship kicker because of a Bill Callahan recruiting class, I guess I had chalked it up to Bo not wanting to use scholarships on kickers/punters. Then he offered Bondi so I am lost, heh.

Why don't we wait and see...he got a scholarship for a reason.....kickers usually don't get them.....FWIW Bondi didn't kick off much if at all....so not much to judge on...

the simple fact that he burned a redshirt, and then sat and watched as maher struggled on kickoffs should tell us all we need to know...last year he was not good on kickoffs. and for the record, he did KO a bit...they generally landed outside the endzone. im not at all saying that the kid will not be a great kicker or even a great KO guy, but now tht the season has passed, and we can reflect on it, it was ADI that was missed, not henery last season...many on these boards disagreed..

http://www.huskermax.com/vbbs/showthread.php?18302-Kicker-Michael-Ziola-transfering-to-Nebraska

Mauro Bondi the young man from Florida, who commiited in the 2011 class, has a huge leg....70 yard kickoffs on this film.....starts at 2:37 on the video.....have to disagree with you that we will miss Kunalic with or without Bondi.....

The amount of kickoffs he participated in tells us nothing (which if you actually go and look he hardly KO at all) which you freely admitted yourself....

Oh and thanks for the shoutout in the thread you posted....I stand behind what I wrote...:)... He has a big leg in those video's which was my point went I wrote that....so what your point was on that is beyond me??

He did kick one PAT...:)

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/514512/mauro-bondi

I don't disagree on the RS...and said so earlier....

Oh and I disagree with you on Adi over Henery....again...:)

the simple fact that he burned a redshirt, and then sat and watched as maher struggled on kickoffs should tell us all we need to know...last year he was not good on kickoffs. and for the record, he did KO a bit...they generally landed outside the endzone. im not at all saying that the kid will not be a great kicker or even a great KO guy, but now tht the season has passed, and we can reflect on it, it was ADI that was missed, not henery last season...many on these boards disagreed..

http://www.huskermax.com/vbbs/showthread.php?18302-Kicker-Michael-Ziola-transfering-to-Nebraska

Last edited:
The amount of kickoffs he participated in tells us nothing (which if you actually go and look he hardly KO at all) which you freely admitted yourself....so it really tells us nothing about him....

Oh and thanks for the shoutout in the thread you posted....I stand behind what I wrote...:)... He has a big leg in those video's which was my point went I wrote that....so what your point was on that is beyond me??

He did kick one PAT...:)

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/514512/mauro-bondi

I don't disagree on the RS...and said so earlier....

Oh and I disagree with you on Adi over Henery....again...:)

our coaches do seem to leave the better man for job on the bench alot! :huskerflag:

Not so sure I agree with that either....but armchair coaches all have an opinion....don't they?....:)

right up there with key board jockeys...we'll just have to disagree with the value of a double dip all-conference player in maher compared to his kick offs land at the 5...

what do you think of pensick at center? i just dont see a freshman (redshirt) like reeves steping into a starting role over a (bit undersized perhaps) veteran like pensick and even jackson who the coaches have talked of even if he has moved around for injury reasons...

LOL....all is cool....:)

Open job at center...Reeves is the real deal..but perhaps a bit too young at this point....they are actually looking at Whitaker down the road as a possible center candidate...needs to gain about 20 pounds as a RS first though....recruited as n OG, but open to the idea of playing center....one of the better technical ready O-linemen I have seen of film that we have recruited of late...

2013 is going to be a national title run year....:)

right up there with key board jockeys...we'll just have to disagree with the value of a double dip all-conference player in maher compared to his kick offs land at the 5...

what do you think of pensick at center? i just dont see a freshman (redshirt) like reeves steping into a starting role over a (bit undersized perhaps) veteran like pensick and even jackson who the coaches have talked of even if he has moved around for injury reasons...

I dont see why it will matter that he is a RSFr. Tyler Moore started at the most important position on the OL (Tackle) as a true frosh. Ryne Reeves was one of the best center prospects in the country coming out of HS.

On a side note, I dont see why Cole Pensick should be considered a "veteran". Just because Pensick will be entering his 4th year, he still has yet to play any significant snaps. Despite his spot duty in a few games, he is just as green as Reeves, really. I also wonder why another converted DT in Justin Jackson, who will have less than a year playing OL come summer camp, should get consideration over him? Ryne Reeves is bigger, stronger and more of a natural than either Pensick or Jackson who both came into the program as DT's. I think Reeves could be a 4-year starter. I was a big fan of his coming out in 2011.

i have seen not only these coaches, but just about every coach alive play experience over youth, and seems like they are the last ones to give into talent over experience...coaches always go back to THEIR playbook and the execution of it when the heat turns up. as time goes on, they usually give in but i dont see a freshman starting when a junior/senior are available...hence you'll see rose, reeves and even anderson behind others on my board. i dont doubt anderson is the real deal, as bo has hit on most of his juco's, but not sure if he makes up enough ground in fall camp to over take santos whom has a year and half head start...i may miss on all of them but be prepare for a little jibbing when im right...it wont happen enough to cause any pain, so you can admit when your wrong!;)

Last edited:

I dont see why it will matter that he is a RSFr. Tyler Moore started at the most important position on the OL (Tackle) as a true frosh. Ryne Reeves was one of the best center prospects in the country coming out of HS.

On a side note, I dont see why Cole Pensick should be considered a "veteran". Just because Pensick will be entering his 4th year, he still has yet to play any significant snaps. Despite his spot duty in a few games, he is just as green as Reeves, really. I also wonder why another converted DT in Justin Jackson, who will have less than a year playing OL come summer camp, should get consideration over him? Ryne Reeves is bigger, stronger and more of a natural than either Pensick or Jackson who both came into the program as DT's. I think Reeves could be a 4-year starter. I was a big fan of his coming out in 2011.

we have had many many highly reguarded guys come into nebraska, and majority of them do not start as freshman...redshirt or otherwise...as i am sure you know, moore was the first one (on the oline) to start game 1 and when a veteran got healthy the freshman went to the bench. i realize pensick has short comings, and is not marcel jones (starting experience) but i still see coaches starting out with the 3 extra years of experience to get things underway..as the season goes on reeves may very well pass him up, but game 1 i see an upperclassmen getting the nod...

Okay I can see your agenda now....have a good one...:)

Oh and you are and will be wrong....:):)

Reeves as I said above is the real deal....if he stays healthy he is going to have a great career at Nebraska....:)

i have seen not only these coaches, but just about every coach alive play experience over youth, and seems like they are the last ones to give into talent over experience...coaches always go back to THEIR playbook and the execution of it when the heat turns up. as time goes on, they usually give in but i dont see a freshman starting when a junior/senior are available...hence you'll see rose, reeves and even anderson behind others on my board. i dont doubt anderson is the real deal, as bo has hit on most of his juco's, but not sure if he makes up enough ground in fall camp to over take santos whom has a year and half head start...i may miss on all of them but be prepare for a little jibbing when im right...it wont happen enough to cause any pain, so you can admit when your wrong!;)

Nor will Cross be the primary backup to Burkhead...

Or Santos ahead of Anderson....Anderson will be the #1 or #2 LB.....with Compton the other....

Rose has a shot at starting early too.....

Also don't count out scholarship kicker Mauro Bondi from taking the kicking job either....with Maher remaining the punter....the NFL loves Mahaer as a punter and he did struggle a bit as a kicker at the end....

Got to disagree with you on this the kicking job RR. True Maher did not have a great bowl game but one game does not a season make. I do not call that struggling at the end, unless you are referring ton only the bowl game. I can see Bondi taking over the kick offs as Maher did not particularly kick the ball into the end zone on a consistent basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back