• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Projected Starting Lineups for 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got to disagree with you on this the kicking job RR. True Maher did not have a great bowl game but one game does not a season make. I do not call that struggling at the end, unless you are referring ton only the bowl game. I can see Bondi taking over the kick offs as Maher did not particularly kick the ball into the end zone on a consistent basis.
I thought Maher's leg was tired by the end of the year. I will have to look at the numbers, but I felt like he wasn't getting the distance on punts or kick offs like he did earlier in the year. I would like to see the kicking duties split up to save leg strength. Just like every other position, the season is a grind. I believe one of the reasons Henery was so good, was Kunalic handling the kick offs.

I'm guessing Long will move to (and start at) center, allowing Cotton to start at right guard. I doubt the two tackles will flip flop - Sirles started at left tackle all of 2010. And I'll be surprised if Rose beats out Whaley and Fisher. It will be interesting to see if Fisher can come back all the way. If not, Whaley will start.

I'm guessing Long will move to (and start at) center, allowing Cotton to start at right guard. I doubt the two tackles will flip flop - Sirles started at left tackle all of 2010. And I'll be surprised if Rose beats out Whaley and Fisher. It will be interesting to see if Fisher can come back all the way. If not, Whaley will start.

Long has practiced some at center. I wouldn't be surprised to see this move. If Reeves really progresses in the spring, though, Long may be able to stay at guard. Moore has better feet and is more mobile than Sirles. Still, flip flopping them does seem like it would be disruptive. Can't see Rose beating our two seniors to become the starter either. Whaley finally got out of Bo's doghouse at the end of the season. I expect him to start and to play well. Rose, I think, will back up Compton.

the tackles have already switched from what i have seen. moore was playing behind hardrick at left tackle in the bowl game and i believe that sirles was playing some right tackle threw the season...could be wrong but that is what comes to mind, along with moore being the better of the 2 long term. i dont think fliping sides for the players would be a big deal, and getting your best man on the left is proven to be the route teams go

With news coming out about position changes and where a few players currently stand on the spring depth chart, I thought I would update my projected fall lineups:

QB: Taylor Martinez (Jr.), Brion Carnes (So.), Tommy Armstrong (Fr./redshirt)
RB: Rex Burkhead (Sr.), Aaron Green (So.), Ameer Abdullah (So.), Imani Cross (Fr./redshirt)
FB: Mike Marrow (Jr.), C.J. Zimmerer (Jr.), Graham Stoddard (Sr.)
WR: Quincy Enunwa (Jr.), Taariq Allen (RFr.)
WR: Kenny Bell (So.), Jordan Westerkamp (Fr.)
WR: Jamal Turner (So.), Tim Marlowe (Sr.)
TE: Ben Cotton (Sr.), Kyler Reed (Sr.), David Sutton (RFr.)
LT: Tyler Moore (So.), Jeremiah Sirles (Jr.), Jake Cotton (So.)
LG: Seung Hoon Choi (Sr.), Brandon Thompson (Sr.), Ryan Klachko (RFr.)
C: Cole Pensick (Jr.), Justin Jackson (Sr.), Mark Pelini (So.)
RG: Spencer Long (Jr.), Ryne Reeves (RFr.), Mike Moudy (So.)
RT: Andrew Rodriguez (Jr.), Brent Qvale (Jr.), Zach Sterup (RFr.)

DE: Cameron Meredith (Sr.), Joseph Carter (Sr.), Greg McMullen (Fr./redshirt)
DT: Baker Steinkuhler (Sr.), Thad Randle (Jr.), Jay Guy (So.)
DT: Chase Rome (So.), Todd Peat (RFr.), Kevin Williams (RFr.)
DE: Jason Ankrah (Jr.), Eric Martin (Sr.), Donovan Vestal (So.)
WLB: Zaire Anderson (Jr.), David Santos (RFr.), Jared Afalava (Fr./redshirt), Thomas Brown (Fr./redshirt)
MLB: Will Compton (Sr.), Michael Rose (Fr.), Trevor Roach (So.), Jared Afalava (Fr./redshirt)
SLB: Alonzo Whaley (Sr.), Michael Rose (Fr.), Sean Fisher (Sr.), Jared Afalava (Fr./redshirt)
CB: Mohammed Seisay (Jr.), Stanley Jean-Baptiste (Jr.), Daniel Davie (RFr.)
CB: Andrew Green (Jr.), Ciante Evans (Jr.), Braylon Heard (So.)
S: Daimion Stafford (Sr.), Courtney Osborne (Sr.), Harvey Jackson (So.)
S: P.J. Smith (Sr.), Corey Cooper (So.), Dijon Washngton (Jr.)

PT: Brett Maher (Sr.), Sam Foltz (Fr./redshirt)
PK: Brett Maher (Sr.), Mauro Bondi (So./redshirt)
PR: Ameer Abdullah (So.), Jamal Turner (So.)
KR: Ameer Abdullah (So.), Kenny Bell (So.)

I was looking to engage in some debate but all I've got is I think Jake Long will be the third tight end instead of Sutton. Basically I agree with everything that you have there based on all that I've read.

Wow that defense is young! I count 9 Sr's in the 3-deep (although 6 are starters) with 11 freshmen or redshirt frosh in the 3-deep. If our talent pans out the next few years will be awesome! Thanks N2FL for the line-up. I don't think you're too far off if not spot on.

I was looking to engage in some debate but all I've got is I think Jake Long will be the third tight end instead of Sutton. Basically I agree with everything that you have there based on all that I've read.

Yeah, but if N2FL had submitted this in BleacherReport, we could have ripped him. As it is, we can only sit here and nod. If third string TE is all we got.... then we ain't got much. :)

With news coming out about position changes and where a few players currently stand on the spring depth chart, I thought I would update my projected fall lineups:

QB: Taylor Martinez (Jr.), Brion Carnes (So.), Tommy Armstrong (Fr./redshirt)
RB: Rex Burkhead (Sr.), Aaron Green (So.), Ameer Abdullah (So.), Imani Cross (Fr./redshirt)
FB: Mike Marrow (Jr.), C.J. Zimmerer (Jr.), Graham Stoddard (Sr.)
WR: Quincy Enunwa (Jr.), Taariq Allen (RFr.)
WR: Kenny Bell (So.), Jordan Westerkamp (Fr.)
WR: Jamal Turner (So.), Tim Marlowe (Sr.)
TE: Ben Cotton (Sr.), Kyler Reed (Sr.), David Sutton (RFr.)
LT: Tyler Moore (So.), Jeremiah Sirles (Jr.), Jake Cotton (So.)
LG: Seung Hoon Choi (Sr.), Brandon Thompson (Sr.), Ryan Klachko (RFr.)
C: Cole Pensick (Jr.), Justin Jackson (Sr.), Mark Pelini (So.)
RG: Spencer Long (Jr.), Ryne Reeves (RFr.), Mike Moudy (So.)
RT: Andrew Rodriguez (Jr.), Brent Qvale (Jr.), Zach Sterup (RFr.)

DE: Cameron Meredith (Sr.), Joseph Carter (Sr.), Greg McMullen (Fr./redshirt)
DT: Baker Steinkuhler (Sr.), Thad Randle (Jr.), Jay Guy (So.)
DT: Chase Rome (So.), Todd Peat (RFr.), Kevin Williams (RFr.)
DE: Jason Ankrah (Jr.), Eric Martin (Sr.), Donovan Vestal (So.)
WLB: Zaire Anderson (Jr.), David Santos (RFr.), Jared Afalava (Fr./redshirt), Thomas Brown (Fr./redshirt)
MLB: Will Compton (Sr.), Michael Rose (Fr.), Trevor Roach (So.), Jared Afalava (Fr./redshirt)
SLB: Alonzo Whaley (Sr.), Michael Rose (Fr.), Sean Fisher (Sr.), Jared Afalava (Fr./redshirt)
CB: Mohammed Seisay (Jr.), Stanley Jean-Baptiste (Jr.), Daniel Davie (RFr.)
CB: Andrew Green (Jr.), Ciante Evans (Jr.), Braylon Heard (So.)
S: Daimion Stafford (Sr.), Courtney Osborne (Sr.), Harvey Jackson (So.)
S: P.J. Smith (Sr.), Corey Cooper (So.), Dijon Washngton (Jr.)

PT: Brett Maher (Sr.), Sam Foltz (Fr./redshirt)
PK: Brett Maher (Sr.), Mauro Bondi (So./redshirt)
PR: Ameer Abdullah (So.), Jamal Turner (So.)
KR: Ameer Abdullah (So.), Kenny Bell (So.)

i see you have changed out your freshman starters at center and LB...thats funny to me! what's the chances that cooper/jackson push for playing time? i put cooper into my lineup as a peso as i think he will be a much bigger contributor this year and just dont trust smith or osbourne holding out jackson either.

i see you have changed out your freshman starters at center and LB...thats funny to me! what's the chances that cooper/jackson push for playing time? i put cooper into my lineup as a peso as i think he will be a much bigger contributor this year and just dont trust smith or osbourne holding out jackson either.

I really liked Ryne Reeves as a recruit (he was recruited by everyone as a center) and thought he would really push Pensick to start. The coaches have moved him to guard, but with Pensick (Jr.) and Jackson (Sr.) being upper classmen, I wouldnt be shocked to see him move back in a year or two. Very versatile and very talented.

As for Michael Rose, I still think he can push for PT but from all I have read and heard, Alonzo Whaley has really stepped up over the past 4-6 months and might do his best Phillip Dillard impression as a senior. I give him the nod because he will know the defense better going into summer camp. I think Rose will be the #4 LB at worse as a frosh though. Rose and Afalava are capable of playing all three LB spots so I could see both playing this year and not redshirting.

At safety, I am a huge fan of Corey Coopers. I think he can be an absolute stud at safety. Moving to CB, albeit for a short time, shows what the coaches think of his coverage ability/potential. I saw enough tape of him as a recruit to know he can hit you too. As far as Harvey Jackson, he too was an impressive recruit but has been only a special teams contributor so far. IMO Jackson and Cooper are athletic upgrades over PJ Smith and Courtney Osborne. Reports have Jackson running with the 2nd team with Cooper but it seems Pelini defers to players who know the system over someone with more athleticism. Because of that I think Osborne (if healthy) will have the coaches trust and thus more PT.

qvale was moved out to tackle...with nebraska implementing more pulling/movement of the guards, qvale, along with other recruits no longer fit system. i think that is a big reason we ended up with many walkons vaulting to the top of the depth charts out of no where. along with us recruiting a few more athletic linemen than expected...:2cents:

QB taylor, armstrong
RB burkhead, cross
FB marrow, zimmer
WR enunwa, marlowe/westerkamp
WR bell, turner
TE cotton/reed
LT moore, sirles
LG rodriguez, choi
C pensick, jackson
RG long, thurston/cotton
RT sirles, sterup
DE merideth, carter
DT steinkuler, peat
DT rome, randle
DE martin, ankrah
LB santos/anderson
LB compton, roach
LB whaley, rose/pirman
CB seisay, evans
CB green, bell/jean-babtise
PESO cooper, heard
SS stafford, osbourne
FS smith, jackson
K/P maher
PR abdullah, turner
KR green/abdullah

maybe not day 1, but armstrong jumping carnes, i see pensick holding on at center along with jackson in the mix, sirles being the true backup at LT, anderson perhaps not being as breath taking as david and hence yielding time to santos, thurston vaulting the other young linemen, martin taking over at DE, whaley holding off a young rose and pirman getting into the lb mix, cooper gettng in on a lot of snaps, maybe even heard.....o yeah still no one to replace adi!

with stanton now on board along with armstrong, the thought of carnes taking off for a better chance to play..(i mean be closer to home) still seems likely. maybe it dont happen this year but he will be gone in my opinion just like green.

with stanton now on board along with armstrong, the thought of carnes taking off for a better chance to play..(i mean be closer to home) still seems likely. maybe it dont happen this year but he will be gone in my opinion just like green.

Where did that come from? Are we to believe that every kid is going to go back to their home state just because they are faced with competition. If Carnes didn't want competition at his spot and wanted a job given to him, why didn't he just stay committed to W.Kentucky?

Where did that come from? Are we to believe that every kid is going to go back to their home state just because they are faced with competition. If Carnes didn't want competition at his spot and wanted a job given to him, why didn't he just stay committed to W.Kentucky?

FWIW, I also see Carnes transferring at the end of this season if he hasn't made huge strides. Not from "too much competition" meaning he wants the job handed to him, but from too many guys passing him up and the likelihood of him seeing the field getting smaller and smaller. It sucks to say that, because I was pretty high on him coming in and being the option guy we needed. From what I saw in last year's spring practice, he was clarly the best option guy on the field, whereas Cody Green wasn't good at all, and Taylor was in between. But, it's not all about being able to run one type of play.

I would put Marsh at #2, Carnes at 3 and TA taking a RS.

Last edited:
FWIW, I also see Carnes transferring at the end of this season if he hasn't made huge strides. Not from "too much competition" meaning he wants the job handed to him, but from too many guys passing him up and the likelihood of him seeing the field getting smaller and smaller. It sucks to say that, because I was pretty high on him coming in and being the option guy we needed. From what I saw in last year's spring practice, he was clarly the best option guy on the field, whereas Cody Green wasn't good at all, and Taylor was in between. But, it's not all about being able to run one type of play.

Yep...without significant mop-up time this year, he's gone....don't blame him wither

Agree unless he shows 'it' he is gone....from all I read about Armstrong and Stanton these two will blow past him....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back