• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Poll: The 9-win Season

Frequency of 9-win seasons over the course of HCSF's entire career?

• 100% of the time

Votes: 12 14.5%
  • 95 to 100% of the time

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • 90 to 95% of the time

Votes: 21 25.3%
  • 85 to 90 % of the time

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • 80 to 85 % of the time

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • 75 to 80 % of the time

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • 70 to 75% of the time

• 65 to 70 % of the time

• 60 to 65% of the time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • less than 60% of the time

Votes: 3 3.6%

• Total voters

By the way, Pelini's measure on this stat is inflated in comparison to the coaches who went before him because the 12 game regular season started in 2006, although there were a couple of extra games in the early 2000s and a couple of Kickoff Classics back in Tom's day.

Last edited:
Since there are now more bowls and the regular season schedules accomodate more games, it seems to me 9 win seasons are easier to achieve. Change the pole question to be a 10 win season then I'll participate.

This is a 9-win season poll. If you'd prefer a 10-win season poll, do it yourself.

But there is such a thing as a 9-win (or better) season. TO had 25 of them in 25 tries.

To me, that record represents a STANDARD of excellence.

But I'll change the title for you. No problem.
I didn't ask you to change the title of the thread, but neither do I consider a 9 win season a standard of excellence. For SF, 9 wins this year would be a great start, but only championships (conference & greater) are a standard of excellence. SF, like TO and all NU coaches before him, will have to win those to keep folks satisfied. He'll get a long honeymoon, but hopefully it won't be needed.

Last edited:
Been watching games from the sixties to present times. I still have to see this new coaching system to make a positive comment. I'm hopeful this is the right path finally. Gbr

By they way, Pelini's measure on this stat is inflated in comparison to the coaches who went before him because the 12 game regular season started in 2006, although there were a couple of extra games in the early 2000s and a couple of Kickoff Classics back in Tom's day.

Yes, Bo won 9 games every season just like TO, but TO never lost 4 games in a season like Bo did, and TO did not get blown out nearly as often as Bo.

Since 1962, the number of games played in a season has increased. TO normally played more games in a season than Bob Devaney, and Pelini normally played more games in a season than TO.

However a 9-win season is still considered good season, so I'll go with that.

A better poll might be career winning percentage. Number of games in a season becomes a non-factor in that poll, but strength of schedules are still a factor, and hard to compare.

I didn't ask you to change the title of the thread, but neither do I consider a 9 win season a standard of excellence. For SF, 9 wins this year would be a great start, but only championships (conference & greater) are a standard of excellence. SF, like TO and all NU coaches before him, will have to win those to keep folks satisfied. He'll get a long honeymoon, but hopefully it won't be needed.

I see your point. Bo won 9 games every year but he did not achieve excellence. However, I think a 9-win season is quite good and very hard to achieve on a consistent basis. Coaches who have won 9 games per season at an 80% clip over their entire career are rare. How many current HCs can claim to have done that? You can probably count them on one hand. I don't think Nick Saban has done it.

In CF, a 9-win season is commonly considered a good season. Why make it more complicated than that?

Last edited:

9 wins a year is irrelevant...Bo had 9 a year and we weren't relevant. How about how many years will Scott bring home hardware..

If Bo wins the 2 CC championship games he played in, he definitely would have been more relevant. But winning 9 games per season for 7 straight years was a rare feat during the time he did it.

A hardware poll can be done. Go for it!

Yep, SF will not do it by himself. He has a very capable staff. Seems like Ryan Held could land a top-25 recruiting class all by himself...even from his remote outpost in Lincoln.

SF said the greatest lesson he learned from TO is that players will go through a wall for coaches that genuinely care about their welfare. SF has assembled an entire coaching staff that practices that philosophy. In that regard, SF's program will be just like TO's. Sooner or later, lots of great players will be knocking on the door to get in...from all corners of the nation.

9 wins every year? Probably not, but NU will be very competitive.
I guess I misunderstood the poll, I picked 80-85% only because the rest will be more than 9.

Last edited:

That train has gone for us, and for most schools not located in a state loaded with talent. We aren't. Can you imagine the talent in the 500 mile radius of a school such as OSU, Alabama, Clemson, U of Georgia, USC, Florida, etc. But look at our 500 mile radius. We can get a few really good players from there, but the key word is few.

Do you know one thing this group all has in common?

Mississippi
Mississippi State
Alabama
Auburn
Florida State
Florida
Georgia
Georgia Tech
Tennessee
LSU
Arkansas
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Clemson

They are all within 500 miles of Alabama. And I probably missed some other big name schools but certainly a ton of small name schools. My point being is while there is more talent in their 500 mile range, we only have a handful of Big 10 teams and Iowa to compete with. They certainly still have it a little easier but you can't under estimate how close the other schools are to you and the pull some can have. When you have multiple major schools in one state they don't have the same type of allegiance to that school as some players might have to Nebraska.

GET TICKETS

Back