• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Orgeron's firing.......

That was the argument regarding the 9-10 win coach we fired. He had peaked.

I’m stunned that you see no difference between the mental aspect of this team versus last year. But for some, it’s impossible to see past the “L”.
Defense yes. Offense and special teams no way. Look at our turnovers and penalties this year. Can’t say progress in 2/3 of the game.

When you have a for sure great hire with a pen in his hand waiting to sign a contract and the team doesn't show any improvement.

Unfortunately, Nebraska is not a top destination anymore for head coaches. Maybe a stepping stone place at best for a non-power 5 or a FCS coach. We will never hire a Sabin, Meyer, etc. When the new facilities are built, we maybe able to entice a name to come to Nebraska, if needed then.

I keep hearing "You all need to hire Luke Fickell." All I say is "you need to change whatever you are smoking cause it ain't happening."
Honestly, was Nebraska ever a top destination for head coaches? I mean I have only been around since the 70's but I dont ever recall a situation where Nebraska had a list of who's who want to come here and they had to choose instead of trying to find a head coach.

So I went to the game yesterday. I sat 7 rows up on the 50 yard line behind the Husker bench. I was surrounded by knowledgeable Gopher fans., They knew the Husker players and performance levels really well and were a fun fan base to sit with. That being said, anyone who thinks this Husker team was ready to play yesterday did not get my view of the sideline. There were times when a strong yell on my part would have reached the whole teams ears. The sideline was visibly calm, almost disinterested in the game. Robotic in feel tone. The one thing that has kept the smallest crack of hope for Frost in my soul is that I felt he hadn't lost the team yet. I don't feel that way anymore after what I saw yesterday. Disconnect was more the feel tone. Just my observations, do with them what you want. I will still travel to cheer them on and, unfortunately, my expectations were met yesterday.

FYI, The Gopher stadium is outstanding. The fans are very Nebraska-like in tone, and it is now one of my favorite venues for watching a football game. Highly recommend to make the trip in couple of years. PS. Bring your wife or girlfriend and take her to Paisley Park the Friday before. You will get major points for the effort.

Now fire away! (I mean your responses to my post not any individual previously mentioned)

I’m just really worried about recruiting as long as this situation keeps going. How can a coach recruit on the hot seat, or with an ultimatum? It’s a very bad spot to be in.

......shows how much patience the Admin has with Frost and it also shows the difference philosophies each school has. LSU won the MNC 2 years ago, with what would rival the 95 huskers in the "Best Team Ever" mantra. LSU will be able to pick ALMOST whoever they want as HC, but be warned. IF LSU will fire a coach who won (and dominated that year) the MNC 2 years prior, WITH A WINNING RECORD when the "firing" is announced, what does that tell the incoming coach?

Nebraska had the lamest coach ever in Riley, IMO, (I am not going to go back to the 30's, 40's, 50's. or 60's, just from the Bobfather on) and his "soft of tackle football" philosophy he had. Frost has had to really change culture and toughness. He is doing it, IMO, it is 90% mental now. But Nebraska can NOT change staffs every 4 years like a school like LSU can and expect it to work. W/o going into the whys and why nots, just trust me, we can't. LSU can probably do it.
Gosh i hope we learn this. We are not in a position to draw whomever we wish to coach this program. I would view us as most likely needing an alum, someone whom sees the program as more than another gig. Thats simply because i dont think we get anywhere near the most "proven" coaches with multiple choices.

And that is the reason why Frost is still at Nebraska. Anyone else they would have been run out on a rail.
But we can't keep running off coaches/staffs after 4 years unless you want the next coach to be from Chadron State, Millard South or Omaha Bryan.

Defense yes. Offense and special teams no way. Look at our turnovers and penalties this year. Can’t say progress in 2/3 of the game.
We must be looking at different offenses and special teams. Or perhaps you are just pulling the bad games out and looking at them in isolation. I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the growth of the offense and special teams until yesterday. But if we are only going to look at the last 48 hours, then I agree with you. (Though the defense kind of sucked yesterday too.)

Gosh i hope we learn this. We are not in a position to draw whomever we wish to coach this program. I would view us as most likely needing an alum, someone whom sees the program as more than another gig. Thats simply because i dont think we get anywhere near the most "proven" coaches with multiple choices.
Disagree.
-We are a desirable program
-We are in a very desirable Conference which is critical with conference realignment coming all too soon. HCs will want to be coaching amongst the "haves" who can be playing for bowls and National Championships which includes members of the Big Ten.
-We have tremendous physical resources, especially with the new facility being built.
-We have very, very good young athletes on campus: enough that a new staff knows they have a very good chance to win right now, with a few additions through the Transfer Portal: QB, Rush end, one or two experienced o-lineman.

Solich and Pelini won here. It can happen again.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back