• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Orgeron's firing.......

dparks

Varsity
20 Year Member
......shows how much patience the Admin has with Frost and it also shows the difference philosophies each school has. LSU won the MNC 2 years ago, with what would rival the 95 huskers in the "Best Team Ever" mantra. LSU will be able to pick ALMOST whoever they want as HC, but be warned. IF LSU will fire a coach who won (and dominated that year) the MNC 2 years prior, WITH A WINNING RECORD when the "firing" is announced, what does that tell the incoming coach?

Nebraska had the lamest coach ever in Riley, IMO, (I am not going to go back to the 30's, 40's, 50's. or 60's, just from the Bobfather on) and his "soft of tackle football" philosophy he had. Frost has had to really change culture and toughness. He is doing it, IMO, it is 90% mental now. But Nebraska can NOT change staffs every 4 years like a school like LSU can and expect it to work. W/o going into the whys and why nots, just trust me, we can't. LSU can probably do it.

......shows how much patience the Admin has with Frost and it also shows the difference philosophies each school has. LSU won the MNC 2 years ago, with what would rival the 95 huskers in the "Best Team Ever" mantra. LSU will be able to pick ALMOST whoever they want as HC, but be warned. IF LSU will fire a coach who won (and dominated that year) the MNC 2 years prior, WITH A WINNING RECORD when the "firing" is announced, what does that tell the incoming coach?

Nebraska had the lamest coach ever in Riley, IMO, (I am not going to go back to the 30's, 40's, 50's. or 60's, just from the Bobfather on) and his "soft of tackle football" philosophy he had. Frost has had to really change culture and toughness. He is doing it, IMO, it is 90% mental now. But Nebraska can NOT change staffs every 4 years like a school like LSU can and expect it to work. W/o going into the whys and why nots, just trust me, we can't. LSU can probably do it.
Yeah but 90% mental is the hardest aspect to overcome and we aren't seeing much improvement there. I might think differently if I really believed that Coach Frost will take a leap forward next year. I am afraid he is as good as he will ever be here. The administration has been very patient with him and they needed to be. I agree you can't change staffs every 3 to 4 years but where do they draw the line?

They’re crazy down there at LSU. They had to replace basically all their assistant coaches after they won it all in 2019, but they were dissatisfied with their 2020 Covid/rebuilding year so they fired all the assistants again. How can you expect the team to succeed in 2021 when they’ve had 3 different offensive and defensive coordinators in 3 years? They are insanely impatient and have too high expectations. You’re in the SEC West with Alabama. Chill out.

Yeah but 90% mental is the hardest aspect to overcome and we aren't seeing much improvement there. I might think differently if I really believed that Coach Frost will take a leap forward next year. I am afraid he is as good as he will ever be here. The administration has been very patient with him and they needed to be. I agree you can't change staffs every 3 to 4 years but where do they draw the line?
When you have a for sure great hire with a pen in his hand waiting to sign a contract and the team doesn't show any improvement.

Unfortunately, Nebraska is not a top destination anymore for head coaches. Maybe a stepping stone place at best for a non-power 5 or a FCS coach. We will never hire a Sabin, Meyer, etc. When the new facilities are built, we maybe able to entice a name to come to Nebraska, if needed then.

I keep hearing "You all need to hire Luke Fickell." All I say is "you need to change whatever you are smoking cause it ain't happening."

When you have a for sure great hire with a pen in his hand waiting to sign a contract and the team doesn't show any improvement.

Unfortunately, Nebraska is not a top destination anymore for head coaches. Maybe a stepping stone place at best for a non-power 5 or a FCS coach. We will never hire a Sabin, Meyer, etc. When the new facilities are built, we maybe able to entice a name to come to Nebraska, if needed then.

I keep hearing "You all need to hire Luke Fickell." All I say is "you need to change whatever you are smoking cause it ain't happening."
Yeah, what’s funny is Fickell is the new Frost and we were extremely lucky to get the hottest coaching prospect at the time. There’s no way we can get Fickell. He can go to USC or LSU or just wait for the Ohio State job. We will never get the hottest coaching prospect again, unless it happens to be another former Husker. Probably will never happen again.

Yeah, what’s funny is Fickell is the new Frost and we were extremely lucky to get the hottest coaching prospect at the time. There’s no way we can get Fickell. He can go to USC or LSU or just wait for the Ohio State job. We will never get the hottest coaching prospect again, unless it happens to be another former Husker. Probably will never happen again.

I don't know, go to LSU where they fire a NC coach two years later or NU where they keep a coach going on his fourth losing season and has not even hit .500 much less a winning season.

C

Or you could look at Orgeron's firing as a commitment to excellence, no matter what the financial cost.

I liked Orgeron and thought he was an above average HC.

But, if LSU and their athletic administration want more than above average well then god bless their hearts, more power to them.

If wish we had that kind of courage.

Just the facts
1. SF has a losing record across four seasons; can you cite ONE example of a head coach with great success who started with a losing record in their first four seasons ?
2. We have not beat Power 5 teams with winning records
3. SF is loyal to his assistant coaches no matter how incompetent they are. Cigar man and Austin were known problems last year and yet we still have them
4. AM is great guy whose ceiling was hit his freshman year. No matter how many great runs he makes his record says he is a loser but here we are four years of same s...
5. If SF is not fired this year and he decides to fire our incompetent offensive coaches would any talented assistant coaches in their right mind would come here? Hell no
6. We are going to have a bad recruiting year regardless if we fire SF or not but next year if SF returns we are guaranteed to not have a good class

Just share why should keep SF as a coach?

Just the facts
1. SF has a losing record across four seasons; can you cite ONE example of a head coach with great success who started with a losing record in their first four seasons ?
2. We have not beat Power 5 teams with winning records
3. SF is loyal to his assistant coaches no matter how incompetent they are. Cigar man and Austin were known problems last year and yet we still have them
4. AM is great guy whose ceiling was hit his freshman year. No matter how many great runs he makes his record says he is a loser but here we are four years of same s...
5. If SF is not fired this year and he decides to fire our incompetent offensive coaches would any talented assistant coaches in their right mind would come here? Hell no
6. We are going to have a bad recruiting year regardless if we fire SF or not but next year if SF returns we are guaranteed to not have a good class

Just share why should keep SF as a coach
Dabo was 6-7 in year 3 at Clemson

To add to Dallasblackshirt’s post:

1. Iowa State got Matt Campbell and kept him - look at Kelly and Notre Dame. who says Nebraska can’t do something similar with a new hire.
2. This team has had questions with player personnel, play calling, transfers and inconsistent messaging. Are they magically going to fix this in year 5?
3. Why should The defensive staff stick around after this year if Frost is on chopping block next year?

I'd laugh if Dave Aranda is named the next LSU head coach.

LSU has not been the same without him. And Baylor has benefited tremendously.

Last edited:

Or you could look at Orgeron's firing as a commitment to excellence, no matter what the financial cost.

I liked Orgeron and thought he was an above average HC.

But, if LSU and their athletic administration want more than above average well then god bless their hearts, more power to them.

If wish we had that kind of courage.
Above average with a dominating 15-0 MNC 2 years ago? I do not agree with the bolded above. LSU had, AT WORSE, the 2nd best team EVER 2 years ago. Lost a ton of players to the NFL after that season. Starting a TON of under classmen who were 4/5*'s so some knocks to be expected the years after the MNC. This isn't the Bo years, i.e. 9 wins every year but no Conference championships. This is a coach who had one of the best teams EVER 2 years ago and has since gone 9-8 (would Nebraska like to be 9-8 their last 17 games?). 2 of those 9 wins was over a top 20 team and they also beat the #6 team the year before.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back