• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Only 2 B1G Presidents voted to play: NU and Iowa

Everybody on this thread seems shocked at the likely prospect of cancelling CFB. Even after spring sports were cancelled and COVID continues.

Really? Disappointed I get, But shocked? Anybody visited a Dr., dentist, or hospital? They're all wearing protective gear. They're medically trained. They take this seriously. Well, so are the colleges, K-12, etc.

There are "helicopter" parents/grandparents; and, now, "helicopter administrators," who likely have never, played "the game!"

Been reported on Fox New, now... That the conference has cancelled the season. (not determination on if they will try it in the Spring)

Rumor/tweet says the 12-2 vote was medical personnel, asked if they felt good about where their teams were, how mitigation was going.

Who knows...

This would certainly seem to go against the info Jim Harbaugh shared wherein he stated something go to the effect that folks were very comfortable with their protocol and in fact, mentioned something about how the powers that be felt others should witness what they were doing at Michigan. I thought he was implying medical personnel as well, but I may be incorrect.

It seemed from SF presser that he was not really informed on the conversations at the top within the conference. So while the coaches are impassioned, I am not sure they wield much influence over the decision making. I do think it is good PR for the coach —-showing that they want to play and are looking out for players. This may help tamp down transfers.

Last edited:

I wouldn't doubt the SEC reached out. No clue if we can make it happen.

Truth is, once the Big Ten (and apparently Pac-12 also tomorrow) announce they are shutting it down, what was going to be a season with a giant asterisk beside it is going to be a full-on exhibition season for those who do still play (if any do). Still, it would be fun to see Nebraska play a few SEC teams.
Now that we've shown we're tough enough to still want to play , do we really have to take on SEC or Texas and OU teams as well? Surely there must be some fired-up Division II teams we could play instead? What about DIvision III?

Remember all we gotta do is beat Iowa the day after Thanksgiving to be B1G champs, let's try to be undefeated in the rest of schedule then maybe drive out to Pasadena and play some neighborhood kids and claim an NC!

;)

Last edited:
How about a bone for the Hawkeyes? They have been hammered on this venue, many times. And then they vote with us, no matter who voted. GBR

No cookie for them. They just want football so people will have something to talk about instead of their racist culture :Stirthepot:

If you took a poll of coaches and players nationwide, you'd easily find 95%+ of them want to have a season.

At its most basic, childhood level, it's the nerds who are pushing to take things away from the jocks.
You forgot one other obnoxious group of society. The marketers/administrators.

Never put nerds in the same group as marketers/administrators.

Being a nerd myself, I have been fighting against marketers/administrators for many years. I want to do the right thing. They want to insure they get a larger bonus. Any possibility of a liability to do the right thing (that thing the marketers/administrators promised we would do) and they are demonstrating how to do, (what we called) the Backpedal 100 (Backpedal 200, if they considered it necessary).

I’ll bet South Dakota st. And North Dakota st. Would b willing to play us.

Home and home with SDSU. Haul some extra bleachers up to Brookings and pack 50k in. Open up the bars and boom the Brookings economy for a weekend.

You want to play the school that in July still hadn’t even considered the possibility of testing players or even how that might work?

Yeah, that’s a good decision.

NU can manage this as well as anyone, and have thus far. Unfortunately, you have to trust that *anyone* you want to play is doing absolutely everything else correctly too, and that’s the difficulty. Playing an FCS school that doesnt have a plan or financial resources to keep their own players safe is not an option.

Other schools like Michigan and tOSU probably can too. It’s going to take money, real leadership, and commitment to do it right, and even then it could be a disaster that ends after just a few weeks. Keeping it “in conference” is the only way to go to set standards and have accountability if someone tries to hide positives or threaten players, but regional games make sense from a risk standpoint.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back