• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked NU in Top 10 next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

I believe NU will be in the top 10 next year with Pelini as coach. Armstrong pushed by Stanton will be much better. The offensive line will be shored up. And with an experienced defense I really think we are poised for something special. The QB will be the key along with some maturation of Bo as head coach.

Didn't read the rest of the posts, but I would concur. Top ten for sure.:huskerflag:

I believe NU will be in the top 10 next year with Pelini as coach. Armstrong pushed by Stanton will be much better. The offensive line will be shored up. And with an experienced defense I really think we are poised for something special. The QB will be the key along with some maturation of Bo as head coach.

I'm curious about this. We're losing a lot of starts on the OL to graduation, who's going to shore the line up? I know there's young guys waiting in the wings but I honestly don't know who we have in next year's two-deep, and how that projects to line play.

Well, Finnin is back. Jake Cotton, Mark Pelini, Ryne Reeves and Givens Price. Sterup, Cethan Carter. Mike Moudy looked pretty good. Knevel and DJ redshirted. Sam Hahn sat a year. Kondolo sat a year. Chris Long, Zach Hannon? Not a total bare cupboard.

Well, Finnin is back. Jake Cotton, Mark Pelini, Ryne Reeves and Givens Price. Sterup, Cethan Carter. Mike Moudy looked pretty good. Knevel and DJ redshirted. Sam Hahn sat a year. Kondolo sat a year. Chris Long, Zach Hannon? Not a total bare cupboard.

I agree, there could be a lot of depth, but it's unproven. Moudy was dominated at times. How well these other guys step up will decide the season, IMO.

I'm curious about this. We're losing a lot of starts on the OL to graduation, who's going to shore the line up? I know there's young guys waiting in the wings but I honestly don't know who we have in next year's two-deep, and how that projects to line play.

I see it somewhat like this:

LT-Alex Lewis, Matt Finnin
LG-Jake Cotton, Givens-Price
OC-Mark Pelini, Chongo Kondolo
RG-Mike Moundy, Ryne Reeves
RT-Zach Sterup, David Knevel

Corey Whitaker and Paul Thurston will be in the hunt for a G or C spot. Kondolo can also play Guard. Cotton can also swing out to tackle if needed. Zach Hannon is a wildcard and Chris Long is a walk-on with considerable upside.

Corey Whitaker and Paul Thurston will be in the hunt for a G or C spot. Kondolo can also play Guard. Cotton can also swing out to tackle if needed. Zach Hannon is a wildcard and Chris Long is a walk-on with considerable upside.

Nice take.

I hope Kondolo can overtake a starting spot.

Thanks HIO, I was hoping someone like you would answer. My question now would be, how do you rate this line relative to the 2013 line?

Thanks HIO, I was hoping someone like you would answer. My question now would be, how do you rate this line relative to the 2013 line?

Well that all depends on your perspective. For example, Spencer Long was a great lineman but he was hurt most of the year. Normally, I would have said replacing him would have been one of the biggest question marks. Offensive Tackle performed better than I expected them to perform this year. I liked Sirles coming into this year but had concerns about A-Rod and Qvale. Next year, I like Lewis and Sterup as potential starters and have heard great things about Knevel, but have heard little about Finnin. Dwayne Johnson is probably in the "needs more time" part of the equation. We will be pretty deep at guard and I expect Kondolo to win a starting job somewhere and be one of our better linemen. The guy to keep an eye on is Corey Whitaker. He could be a star.

Better than 2013? I think it has a chance to be. The injuries of 2013 actually gave us a sneak preview of next year and by and large most of the young reserves faired pretty well in their time on the line in 2013. I think interior-wise, we are pretty strong. OT is the biggest concern for me, not a lot of depth if injuries wreck plan "A"--but that really is nothing new. Most seasons have their share of "ifs" that need to happen and 2014 is no different. But the potential is there, imo.

Well that all depends on your perspective. For example, Spencer Long was a great lineman but he was hurt most of the year. Normally, I would have said replacing him would have been one of the biggest question marks. Offensive Tackle performed better than I expected them to perform this year. I liked Sirles coming into this year but had concerns about A-Rod and Qvale. Next year, I like Lewis and Sterup as potential starters and have heard great things about Knevel, but have heard little about Finnin. Dwayne Johnson is probably in the "needs more time" part of the equation. We will be pretty deep at guard and I expect Kondolo to win a starting job somewhere and be one of our better linemen. The guy to keep an eye on is Corey Whitaker. He could be a star.

Better than 2013? I think it has a chance to be. The injuries of 2013 actually gave us a sneak preview of next year and by and large most of the young reserves faired pretty well in their time on the line in 2013. I think interior-wise, we are pretty strong. OT is the biggest concern for me, not a lot of depth if injuries wreck plan "A"--but that really is nothing new. Most seasons have their share of "ifs" that need to happen and 2014 is no different. But the potential is there, imo.

Thanks for the breakdown HIO. :thumbsup:

How would you rate the overall depth next season? With so much inexperience coming forward, it doesn't bode well to tolerate injuries.

Last edited:

Thanks for the breakdown HIO. :thumbsup:

How would you rate the overall depth next season? With so much inexperience coming forward, it doesn't bode well to tolerate injuries.

It certainly bodes well for excuses though.:stirthepot:;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back