• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

New OC Matt Lubick hired!

It has been an issue. But not to the degree your stating. The defense is getting gassed because of a stagnated offense. There were times the defense kept the offense in the game. Then there were times the defense was on the field longer than the offense was.
I agree with the point you are making. But in fairness, We will not know how good the D can be until the offense gets to be the high octane deal we were promised. There were an awful lot of games where the opposing offense marched right down the field because we could not get off the field on third down. You can't blame being tired on the first series. The Defense needs to hold every team to 20-25 points or less before I can fully say they are not part of the problem.

It has been an issue. But not to the degree your stating. The defense is getting gassed because of a stagnated offense. There were times the defense kept the offense in the game. Then there were times the defense was on the field longer than the offense was.

Correct. The Colorado loss was just as much about the offense going completely stagnant in the 3rd Q as it was on the defensive collapse late. The OSU and Minnesota losses were both a complete dismantling but the offense only generated seven points in both of those games. Of the remaining four losses, we only eclipsed 30 points in one of those - against Indiana. We struggled in all three phases at times. With the staff changes it's possible to improve while keeping continuity in scheme as this roster matures. Changing defensive coordinators would likely lead to yet another significant scheme change. That's probably the last thing we need right now.

Correct. The Colorado loss was just as much about the offense going completely stagnant in the 3rd Q as it was on the defensive collapse late. The OSU and Minnesota losses were both a complete dismantling but the offense only generated seven points in both of those games. Of the remaining four losses, we only eclipsed 30 points in one of those - against Indiana. We struggled in all three phases at times. With the staff changes it's possible to improve while keeping continuity in scheme as this roster matures. Changing defensive coordinators would likely lead to yet another significant scheme change. That's probably the last thing we need right now.
This is a great post. That is all.

Sorry, I totally disagree.

This is a great post. That is all.
Alabama loses coordinators every year .It takes athletes which we haven't had enough of this century

Last edited:

Alabama loses coordinators every year .It takes athletes which we haven't had enough of this century

They do but the defensive system is Saban's and while there may be tweaks so forth, that remains the same regardless of who is the coordinator. They did evolve on offense but they largely run the same stuff year in and year out. Also, Saban has been at Bama for a dozen years. They have had plenty of consistency even with many staff changes. That is very different than at Nebraska,

I totally agree with your point about athletes. I think we're seeing good movement in that regard. I know we've typically signed classes rated higher than others in the BTW but we're seeing an uptick in signing of top 150 and top 200 types.

The 3-4 is not an unique concept. It has been around a long time and used successfully at a lot of places. You can still have the same scheme with a different guy in control.

Agree but did Bama ever have a 5 year period that had 4 different coordinators on the same side of the ball? Papuchis-Banker-Diaco-Chinander, 2014-2018. That is awfully hard for even a great athlete to deal with.

My whole point about Walters was that several of my friends who go to every game said WRs were often open contrary to what Coach Frost would say. I couldn't tell watching on TV. But I could see terrible blocking on the hated bubble screens so I'm willing to say Walters wasn't doing a good job there. Unfortunately two receivers that were supposed to help turned out to be knuckleheads and got suspended. My point about Mario is where was the guru? AM was having a sophomore slump, was it all because of injury? Then he shouldn't have been playing, was Vedral hurt too, OK that wasn't great either, but you still had Andrew Bunch and Masker, give them a chance. Obviously they wanted to save McCaffrey's redshirt so I understand not playing him, but it was so hard to watch AM struggle, sometimes players need to sit it out.

Reactions: Fly

The 3-4 is not an unique concept. It has been around a long time and used successfully at a lot of places. You can still have the same scheme with a different guy in control.

I'm not a X's & O's expert and don't want to pretend like one but my understanding is that Chin's 3-4, while it shares some commonalities, isn't the same as most of the Parcels lineage 3-4 defenses that are pretty common. Others on here could either expand on this or correct me if I'm wrong, but even though the base is still an odd front, what he does from a gap control standpoint is different than most 3-4's. And I believe he does some Bear front variations. Nothing that's unique, just a bit different than most of the 3-4 guys out there and somewhat different than what Diaco did in his year here.

Reactions: Fly
My whole point about Walters was that several of my friends who go to every game said WRs were often open contrary to what Coach Frost would say. I couldn't tell watching on TV. But I could see terrible blocking on the hated bubble screens so I'm willing to say Walters wasn't doing a good job there. Unfortunately two receivers that were supposed to help turned out to be knuckleheads and got suspended. My point about Mario is where was the guru? AM was having a sophomore slump, was it all because of injury? Then he shouldn't have been playing, was Vedral hurt too, OK that wasn't great either, but you still had Andrew Bunch and Masker, give them a chance. Obviously they wanted to save McCaffrey's redshirt so I understand not playing him, but it was so hard to watch AM struggle, sometimes players need to sit it out.
You're assuming that the coaching staff wasn't smart enough to consider any of the things that you mentioned? Give them the benefit of the doubt: they're not stupid. If they made choices that you don't understand, but they have infinitely more knowledge and information, you have to either trust them enough to do their jobs, or you need to put your resume on Bill Moos' desk and apply for their jobs.

I'm not a X's & O's expert and don't want to pretend like one but my understanding is that Chin's 3-4, while it shares some commonalities, isn't the same as most of the Parcels lineage 3-4 defenses that are pretty common. Others on here could either expand on this or correct me if I'm wrong, but even though the base is still an odd front, what he does from a gap control standpoint is different than most 3-4's. And I believe he does some Bear front variations. Nothing that's unique, just a bit different than most of the 3-4 guys out there and somewhat different than what Diaco did in his year here.
You summed it up reasonably well, except that you didn't place enough emphasis on how different Chinander's scheme is from Diaco's. Diaco's entire scheme was built around reacting to the offense, hoping that they'd make a mistake. Every D-lineman was supposed to stand up his O-lineman first, find the ball, THEN attack the ball. The secondary was backed up so as to never get beat deep, and the main coverage was a deep umbrella designed to keep everything in front ... but also incredibly easy for offenses to pick apart for short and intermediate passes.

Chinander's defense is a multiple-front look with multiple blitz packages, including from both zone and man coverages. Against teams that like to run inside, he runs a lot of Bear-Front, which means that the 3 D-linemen attack the 3 interior offensive linemen so that none of them are easily double-teamed unless they commit an OT to help out with a double-team, which then opens them up to blitzes from the edge. Most of the time this past year, they didn't run a true 3-man front as Alex Davis was for all intents and purposes a 4th down lineman to the short side of the field.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back