• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Never been more proud...

If one party doesn’t hold up their end of the contract then I don’t know why they would expect the other party to do so. I don’t think it would even be a legal battle. I don’t think the B1G would interfere at all. Hopefully the B1G does the right thing and plays this fall and we don’t have to find out.
I'm sure the contract discusses things like 'extraordinary circumstances". A global pandemic probably falls in that category. The fact that other conferences have and will do the same provides cover.

Don't take my posts to mean that I don't want NU to at least explore this option. Right now the Big 10 is at the very top of my s--- list. They have absolutely screwed this pooch every way possible.

That we were talking about schedules 2 days ago and bracing for a full cancellation of the season tomorrow is beyond reprehensible and shows that the Big 10's leadership is an absolute mess. It's not like the presidents could have been surprised by the commissioner coming out with a schedule and a plan to play. It had been talked about for 2 weeks. If they had a problem with it they should have slammed on the breaks a week ago. They didn't. It shows that there is no communication and nobody knows who the hell is supposed to be in charge. A Class A clustertexas.

That said....you join a conference knowing that you aren't always going to get your way. The conference exists for the greater good of all members and the members agree to some form of governance and to abide by the decisions. If Nebraska and Michigan State decide they don't like the date that their game is scheduled they can't just go reschedule it on their own. If Nebraska doesn't like a new academic requirement they can't just ignore it.

I truly hope that between now and tomorrow they either decide to hold off on this decision OR make it with the understanding that individual programs can go it alone for a year. I can't imagine a scenario where that wouldn't create division within the league...then again, I can't imagine this current scenario won't either. My hope is that OSU (mentioned before), Michigan, NU and others...hopefully one of the "smaller programs" (like NW or purdue) express similar thoughts as Frost/NU. But if there isn't enough momentum and it's just NU and 1 other program....the Big 10 decision will ultimately prevail.

Last edited:
Don't take my posts to mean that I don't want NU to at least explore this option. Right now the Big 10 is at the very top of my s--- list. They have absolutely screwed this pooch every way possible.

That we were talking about schedules 2 days ago and bracing for a full cancellation of the season tomorrow is beyond reprehensible and shows that the Big 10's leadership is an absolute mess. It's not like the presidents could have been surprised by the commissioner coming out with a schedule and a plan to play. It had be talked about for 2 weeks. If they had a problem with it they should have slammed on the breaks a week ago. They didn't. It shows that there is not communication and nobody knows who the hell is supposed to be in charge. A Class A clustertexas.

That said....you join a conference knowing that you aren't always going to get your way. The conference exists for the greater good of all members and the members agree to some form of governance and to abide by the decisions. If Nebraska and Michigan State decide they don't like the date that their game is scheduled they can't just go reschedule it on their own. If Nebraska doesn't like a new academic requirement they can't just ignore it.

I truly hope that between now and tomorrow they either decide to hold off on this decision OR make it with the understanding that individual programs can go it alone for a year. I can't imagine a scenario where that wouldn't create division within the league...then again, I can't imagine this current scenario won't either. My hope is that OSU (mentioned before), Michigan, NU and others...hopefully one of the "smaller programs" (like NW or purdue) express similar thoughts as Frost/NU. But if there isn't enough momentum and it's just NU and 1 other program....the Big 10 decision will ultimately prevail.

Under normal circumstances, you are 100% correct. But when the decision of the conference can result in a $100 million loss to the athletic department, that changes everything.

Under normal circumstances, you are 100% correct. But when the decision of the conference can result in a $100 million loss to the athletic department, that changes everything.
They are all facing similar losses...at least the "big boys" of the league. I doubt that the size of the loss somehow trumps whatever bylaws come into play.

edit...I do agree that the size of the pie we are talking about certainly provides incentive for NU, etc. to explore the idea. But if they can't get the majority to agree to a 1 year exception it's obviously not happening. And the window is closing fast...there isn't time for legal fights.

Last edited:
depends on wh

depends on what is in the big10 membership agreement
Has anyone read this agreement yet?
I'm sure the contract discusses things like 'extraordinary circumstances". A global pandemic probably falls in that category. The fact that other conferences have and will do the same provides cover.
Doesn't DONU, overpay a small army of lawyers to read stuff like this???? Well, what does it say?

Edit: It's probably in the nondisclosure section of the agreement anyway.

Last edited:

They are all facing similar losses...at least the "big boys" of the league. I doubt that the size of the loss somehow trumps whatever bylaws come into play.

edit...I do agree that the size of the pie we are talking about certainly provides incentive for NU, etc. to explore the idea. But if they can't get the majority to agree to a 1 year exception it's obviously not happening. And the window is closing fast...there isn't time for legal fights.

I agree, although I don't know if any conference wants this fight. From a PR perspective, t turns into preventing athletes from playing when they want to play.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back