• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Never been more proud...

This is putting the cart way in front of the horse that this point, but considering ESPN, Fox Sports, CBS, etc., stand to lose a whole bunch of money if there are no games, I'm sure a compromise of some sort could be worked out. Easiest thing would be to keep some sort of the conference TV contract structure, where non-conference TV is dictated by home teams. So if NU hosts, the B1G contract partners have first dibs, and if KSU hosts, the Big XII TV partners get to have first rights to the game. There would have to be some sort of equal split in revenue, since I'm imagining a scenario where only partial conference members are competing this fall.
But then you are kind of working within the framework of the big 10 deal....NU gonna share any additional revenue 14 ways?

There is virtually no chance NU plays if big 10 doesn't.

I REALLY want NU to go out on their own and try to put a season together but I think the lawyers would crap all over that. Not sure how you deal with TV revenue...say NU and KSU decide they want to play. What network gets it? How do they work it out financially since existing TV deals are are lump sum deals with conferences and not $X/per game on Network Y, etc. Seems like the complexities of making it work would be a big hurdle.
Agreed. What I take hope in though is it seems like NU has been preparing for this and hopefully has some of those questions answered. When Scott comes out and directly says, "NU plans on having a season whether we play B1G teams or not", I hope that means NU has done due diligence and have alternative plans in place.

But then you are kind of working within the framework of the big 10 deal....NU gonna share any additional revenue 14 ways?

If I were Green and Moos, and it was their intention to play sports this fall, I would present to the B1G voting members a plan that would have anyone choosing to sit out the fall to waive their share of TV money, or allow NU to secure their own TV revenue contract on a one-time exception. See how quickly those other school Presidents squirm in their seats when they realize NU could be making money this fall.

Agreed. What I take hope in though is it seems like NU has been preparing for this and hopefully has some of those questions answered. When Scott comes out and directly says, "NU plans on having a season whether we play B1G teams or not", I hope that means NU has done due diligence and have alternative plans in place.

I really hope this is the case. While I admire Frost for making his voice heard, this is something where all levels of the school need to be on the same page. I'm confident Frost didn't go rogue today, and this was a planned statement the school wanted to put out there.

Last edited:

Here is the entire press conference since it is also being discussed in this thread. I just finished watching all 51 minutes. I can literally feel the emotion coming from Coach Frost. You can see the range of emotions on his face. It looks like he wants to put on some football pads and let loose!!

Last edited:
I REALLY want NU to go out on their own and try to put a season together but I think the lawyers would crap all over that. Not sure how you deal with TV revenue...say NU and KSU decide they want to play. What network gets it? How do they work it out financially since existing TV deals are are lump sum deals with conferences and not $X/per game on Network Y, etc. Seems like the complexities of making it work would be a big hurdle.

I would assume (and hope) that NU's legal team and Bill Moos have at least been inquiring about this for a while now in case this situation came up. I can't imagine publicly saying we're open to playing anyone if there is zero chance of it happening. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

What if they're not officially sanctioned NCAA events?

If I were Green and Moos, and it was their intention to play sports this fall, I would present to the B1G voting members a plan that would have anyone choosing to sit out the fall to waive their share of TV money, or allow NU to secure their own TV revenue contract on a one-time exception. See how quickly those other school Presidents squirm in their seats when they realize NU could be making money this fall.
The big 10 will shut it down. No link...no proof...i just can't see them letting anyone go rogue over this.

I especially like what he said in this, “our university is committed to play no matter what that looks like or how that looks”. GBR!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back