• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Never been more proud...

Coach Day of OSU just said exactly what coach Frost said, they prefer to play in Big Ten but will explore all options if that isn’t possible.
We only need 6 total teams to play 5 home and homes (every team plays every other team twice in the season). That gives each team ten games with five at home, same as we would have had in the B1G this season.

I agree, although I don't know if any conference wants this fight. From a PR perspective, t turns into preventing athletes from playing when they want to play.
Agree. This thing is a total disaster from the PR perspective. Nothing they do now (maybe it was always this way) is going to look good. There clearly isn't unanimous support for scrapping the season. And changing course AGAIN would be a bad look probably (although I'd personally be impressed if they said "keep practicing...we need to give this some more thought.")

Criminey...we've been talking about what's going to happen with college football since day 1. It seems like the big 10 was blindsided by this.

We only need 6 total teams to play 5 home and homes (every team plays every other team twice in the season). That gives each team ten games with five at home, same as we would have had in the B1G this season.
If this happened and the other 8 programs said "Cool...but we want our share." would we be cool with that?

I would if it meant having a season. But those are the kinds of debates that will arise. If the 6 said "sure" there might be a better likelihood of it happening.

If this happened and the other 8 programs said "Cool...but we want our share." would we be cool with that?

I would if it meant having a season. But those are the kinds of debates that will arise. If the 6 said "sure" there might be a better likelihood of it happening.

That wouldn’t happen. That wouldn’t be legally viable.

Then again, I'm not sure how well it would go for NU if there were 6 teams wanting to play. The other 5 would probably be those with the most to play for. Could be a rough 10 games! :oops:

More legally viable than telling the other 8 to go pound sand. They'd have the majority of the votes.
Bro, there’s no vote. If the Conference doesn’t provide a vehicle for playing football then they have violated the contract, implied or stated. A party who violates a contract cannot legally hold the other parties to the terms of the contract.

Mountain West has cancelled the season. And someone posted in another thread that Fox is reporting Big 10 is a done deal.

It's over fellas. There's no stopping this train now, IMO

Then again, I'm not sure how well it would go for NU if there were 6 teams wanting to play. The other 5 would probably be those with the most to play for. Could be a rough 10 games! :oops:
We will take all comers. I have no problem with it and I guarantee the players and coaches wouldn’t either.

BTW the service academies are looking for opponents. There’s 3 right there.

I REALLY want NU to go out on their own and try to put a season together but I think the lawyers would crap all over that. Not sure how you deal with TV revenue...say NU and KSU decide they want to play. What network gets it? How do they work it out financially since existing TV deals are are lump sum deals with conferences and not $X/per game on Network Y, etc. Seems like the complexities of making it work would be a big hurdle.
It will be complicated but for the amount of money involved there are people very capable of working through the complexity. If its torpedoed it's more likely going to be by the existing rights holders, or even more likely by the B1G itself.

Bro, there’s no vote. If the Conference doesn’t provide a vehicle for playing football then they have violated the contract, implied or stated. A party who violates a contract cannot legally hold the other parties to the terms of the contract.
Very likely untrue. Whatever "contract" they have to schedule games likely contains provisions for situations like this.

If the big 10 cancels...we know that NU wants to play. I will pay the next 10 years of your HM dues if NU plays a game outside of the big 10. If they don't you donate 10 years worth of dues to UNL.

It's not happening and the Big 10 won't let it.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back