• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Never been more proud...

It will be complicated but for the amount of money involved there are people very capable of working through the complexity. If its torpedoed it's more likely going to be by the existing rights holders, or even more likely by the B1G itself.
There's that too....the networks that have "rights" to the big 10 aren't going to be interested in NU going and playing someone without getting their "cut". Lots of moving parts. Very little time.

Very likely untrue. Whatever "contract" they have to schedule games likely contains provisions for situations like this.

If the big 10 cancels...we know that NU wants to play. I will pay the next 10 years of your HM dues if NU plays a game outside of the big 10. If they don't you donate 10 years worth of dues to UNL.

It's not happening and the Big 10 won't let it.
You think there was a pandemic clause? And that it included provisions that no program could look for other opportunities if the Conference decides to cancel football? Doubtful.

You think there was a pandemic clause? And that it included provisions that no program could look for other opportunities if the Conference decides to cancel football? Doubtful.
Maybe. They spent millions of dollars on lawyers trying to think of everything they could. There's probably reference to war, civil unrest, natural disaster, etc. The words "force majeure" are probably in there somewhere to catch any unforseen, unthinkable situations...like a global pandemic.

Maybe. They spent millions of dollars on lawyers trying to think of everything they could. There's probably reference to war, civil unrest, natural disaster, etc. The words "force majeure" are probably in there somewhere to catch any unforseen, unthinkable situations...like a global pandemic.
I’m sure there is some general language to cover the unpredictable, but it seems unlikely that they would include language that would forbid a member from pursuing their own interests under such circumstances. And what attorneys would let an organization sign off on something like that? Incompetent ones.

Last edited:

found it...

"section 8.2.45: screw with us and you'll play at OSU, PSU and Michigan every year."
With our schedules we seem to have qualified under similar sections already: "Admission of Former Powerhouses Seeking to Re-Emerge; Consequences", and "New-Entrants Previously Acquiring Titles at Expense of Existing Members; Ex Post Facto Remedies."

Last edited:
I’m sure there is some general language to cover the unpredictable, but it seems unlikely that they would include language that would forbid a member from pursuing their own interests under such circumstances. And what attorneys would let an organization sign off on something like that? Incompetent ones.
Joining a conference is, almost by definition, waiving your ability to "pursue your own interests" with the idea that we are greater as a whole. Obviously, this is a weird situation. The only way NU plays is if the Big 10 expressly signs off on it. I just don't see that happening but I really hope the big 10 does.

Even then...who are we going to play? The ACC and (I think) SEC already have their schedules, right? Does the Big 12?

Joining a conference is, almost by definition, waiving your ability to "pursue your own interests" with the idea that we are greater as a whole. Obviously, this is a weird situation. The only way NU plays is if the Big 10 expressly signs off on it. I just don't see that happening but I really hope the big 10 does.

Even then...who are we going to play? The ACC and (I think) SEC already have their schedules, right? Does the Big 12?
Some programs are still looking for noncon games. And there was a report that the service academies are looking for opponents. What’s BYU’s status? They’re still independent aren’t they? I don’t recall.

And there may be other programs that want to play but their conferences canceled.

also....if they say "we are gonna try for spring"...that hamstrings NU even further.

Exactly what I was about to say.

If the Big Ten says they are playing in the spring, you can't really have a Big Ten team or four go off and play a fall season and then dis the conference in the spring. And equally impossible, you can't play a fall season and then turn around and play a spring season -- and another next fall.

If the Big Ten says they're playing in the spring -- even if it doesn't ultimately happen -- no teams are going anywhere in the fall. And I tend to think that's exactly how this will play out.

Last edited:
Agree. This thing is a total disaster from the PR perspective. Nothing they do now (maybe it was always this way) is going to look good. There clearly isn't unanimous support for scrapping the season. And changing course AGAIN would be a bad look probably (although I'd personally be impressed if they said "keep practicing...we need to give this some more thought.")

Criminey...we've been talking about what's going to happen with college football since day 1. It seems like the big 10 was blindsided by this.

I never always agreed with him, bit you can bet your a** this wouldn't have happened on Jim Delaney's watch

It's like Husker Nation is going through the 5 stages of grief, we're halfway there, we're at the "bargaining" stage. Unfortunately the last 2 stages are depression and then acceptance, gunna be tough getting to that last stage in our current world.
Uh... I think if you're right there will just be depression.

I REALLY want NU to go out on their own and try to put a season together but I think the lawyers would crap all over that. Not sure how you deal with TV revenue...say NU and KSU decide they want to play. What network gets it? How do they work it out financially since existing TV deals are are lump sum deals with conferences and not $X/per game on Network Y, etc. Seems like the complexities of making it work would be a big hurdle.
I think you are right...its much easier said than done. Hope it happens though. Eligibility as Frost stated would be a huge question.

One thing that may help is that the Big 10 does not share non-league revenue...and the only reason the non-league games were cancelled without a fight is because the Big 10 added a few games to everyone's schedule.

A lot of gray area here, but it would be great if they could pull it off. Spring football has way too many problems, so I don't see that succeeding. Even if it is planned, it will be a total dud.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back