• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked ND going to try to steal recruit number 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question for you Red Reign

We're looking to take 16 in this class, is that right? Why is it that Texas never takes any less than 20 (edit it looks like they took 15 in 2005, but more often than not it looks like they take 20 or more)? Is this completely due to over signing? Or do they have a rule like Alabama where a scholarship is only guaranteed for one year (I believe it was Alabama who used this rule)?

Last edited:
Question for you Red Reign

We're looking to take 16 in this class, is that right? Why is it that Texas never takes any less than 20 (edit it looks like they took 15 in 2005, but more often than not it looks like they take 20 or more)? Is this completely due to over signing? Or do they have a rule like Alabama where a scholarship is only guaranteed for one year (I believe it was Alabama who used this rule)?

Not RR, but gonna respond to this rawk... part of it has to do with attrition or lack thereof. Most of the time we are looking at taking 22+ every season, but with this class we got off due to some attrition issues and needs with burning shirts. I'll do a quick rundown of this class (FR in 2007 - you may remember that year as Cally's last): Played/No RS: Prince, Hagg, Helu, Henery, Kunalic, Niles, and Latravis Washington so these players' eligibility expired last year. Those who are still with the program as SRs this year: Caputo, Cassidy, Crick, Gilleylen, Grove, Austin Jones, Marcel Jones, Mathew May, Marcus Mendoza, TMo, Lance Thorell - who received scholarships of those players? Cassidy, Crick, Currenski, Marcel Jones, Mendoza, TMo, and Caputo received one later = 7. Not a good number. Which scholarship players did we lose? Anthony Blue, Quentin Castille, Ryan Hill, Blake Lawrence, Austin Stafford, Shawn Sullivan, Patrick Witt, and William Yancy = 8. As you can see we had some bad luck with this class. You can keep the classes even if you don't use those scholarships or give them to a walk-on in that class but that's tough to do sometimes.

Quick rundown of the 2008 (Pelini's first) class shows this: Compton, Khiry Cooper, Ben Cotton, Sean Fisher, Fonz, Kreikemeier, John Levorson, Brett Maher, Marlowe, Cam Meredith, Collins Okafor, Osborne Twins, Kyler Reed, PJ, Baker, Mason Wald, Lester Ward, Whaley, and Josh Williams. How many of these guys do we lose this year? 1 = Fonz. Point? This class is much better off from a numbers perspective.

I'm not saying issues don't arise at Texas, but as of yet they haven't had to deal with a coaching change. And no, as far as I know, Texas does not employ the SEC version of recruiting as the Big 12-3+1 doesn't allow them to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back