• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

N. Illinois Week Practice Thread: 14 Sept. Coach Rhule

I can't think of a better opportunity to play HH.
Gives Sims the rest he needs, gives HH the opportunity he deserves.
If he struggles, insert Sims to come in if needed.
Just thoughts.

I suspect HH gets the start and it isn't going to be pretty. Sims is most likely the best option we have for QB this year. Maybe sit him a game to let him get his head right. But if HH or Purdy couldn't beat him out this year, that means they aren't very good IMO.
I'm going to disagree here. Maybe not as good, but likely not as harmful as Sims has been.
I think we win by ten whoever starts

All I know is . . . the one area where Sims excels is the QB run game. If he has a bad wheel, you can't leverage the one thing he hasn't proven to be a liability doing. So asking him to do more of what he's struggled mightily with while injured doesn't sound like a very good plan.

Our QB room is a bit of a mess. Purdy has struggled every time I have seen him play and now he sounds gimpy anyway. Seems like you'd start Haarberg and see how it goes and just crank up the run game if you can lean on it. I have no idea what Longval can do at this point. Kind of making me shudder a bit at the thought of another Troy St. replay where a game that never should have been lost . . . was. All because we didn't have a functional backup QB anywhere.

All I know is . . . the one area where Sims excels is the QB run game. If he has a bad wheel, you can't leverage the one thing he hasn't proven to be a liability doing. So asking him to do more of what he's struggled mightily with while injured doesn't sound like a very good plan.

Our QB room is a bit of a mess. Purdy has struggled every time I have seen him play and now he sounds gimpy anyway. Seems like you'd start Haarberg and see how it goes and just crank up the run game if you can lean on it. I have no idea what Longval can do at this point. Kind of making me shudder a bit at the thought of another Troy St. replay where a game that never should have been lost . . . was. All because we didn't have a functional backup QB anywhere.
I would start Haarberg, design a game plan that includes lots of QB runs and not many complex reads in the passing game and put him out there and have him run the plays that he’s been doing well with in practice. Doesn’t need to be complicated. He doesn’t need to run the whole offense. Sims gets the day off to get well and to get his mind right. Sims starts next week against Louisiana Tech to get back into a rhythm, so that he’s as ready as he can be for Michigan and the rest of the Big 10. Haarberg gets valuable playing experience so that he’s better prepared to be the back-up.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back