• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

MU - WI

If he doesn't beat OSU this season he's going to be in trouble regardless... There is NO shortage of talent on that team as you point out from recruiting classes.
He's done great on the recruiting. He should be more competitive today. Give Wisconsin credit.
JH's losses to date: Utah, MSU x2 and OSU x4, Iowa, FSU, PSU, Wisky, Notre Dame, Florida.

Some of those losses are by 1 point (Iowa & FSU). Double OT loss to OSU. And 5 other losses by a touchdown or less.

They aren't losing to say, Troy. Or Colorado. It takes a very talented team to beat Michigan. I don't think he's lost to an unranked team. His first game was Utah, which won 10 games that year (2015), they don't show a ranking. Anyway, point is made. They don't lose to teams they shouldn't.

Their recruiting rankings last 4 years are, according to rivals, 4, 4, 24 and 10. They are #7 right now this year. We are #42.

JH hasn't shown he can beat OSU obviously. Not many teams have. He gets beat twice a year or so by other top teams. Those on here touting a long term rebuild under Frost are ever so patient. Yet seem to understand why Michigan fans would expect a playoff team after 5 years. This years Michigan team doesn't look that great. So I understand the frustration based on that expectation. But man, I'd love to have 10 wins out of the last 4. Not saying I want Harbaugh, but I can't understand wanting to fire him because of the losses he's had. Just crazy in my opinion.

He's done great on the recruiting. He should be more competitive today. Give Wisconsin credit.
JH's losses to date: Utah, MSU x2 and OSU x4, Iowa, FSU, PSU, Wisky, Notre Dame, Florida.

Some of those losses are by 1 point (Iowa & FSU). Double OT loss to OSU. And 5 other losses by a touchdown or less.

They aren't losing to say, Troy. Or Colorado. It takes a very talented team to beat Michigan. I don't think he's lost to an unranked team. His first game was Utah, which won 10 games that year (2015), they don't show a ranking. Anyway, point is made. They don't lose to teams they shouldn't.

Their recruiting rankings last 4 years are, according to rivals, 4, 4, 24 and 10. They are #7 right now this year. We are #42.

JH hasn't shown he can beat OSU obviously. Not many teams have. He gets beat twice a year or so by other top teams. Those on here touting a long term rebuild under Frost are ever so patient. Yet seem to understand why Michigan fans would expect a playoff team after 5 years. This years Michigan team doesn't look that great. So I understand the frustration based on that expectation. But man, I'd love to have 10 wins out of the last 4. Not saying I want Harbaugh, but I can't understand wanting to fire him because of the losses he's had. Just crazy in my opinion.

Agree with the bolded. If I were advising Michigan fans I'd caution to be careful what you wish for.

They weren't supposed to be any good this year. Neither was Iowa. Northwestern isn't as good as many thought, but it still looks like the West is going to be a much bigger bear than everyone said going into the season.

Northwestern looks terrible. But I'm sure they'll play us tough for some reason.

Northwestern looks terrible. But I'm sure they'll play us tough for some reason.

Fitz finds was to fix things mid season and even mid game like few in the conference. They'll be better next year if not later this year. Hopefully they have an off game against the Huskers.

my sofa scouting report - :Biggrin:

Bucky's D looks solid, but not convinced they're the clear favorites in the west.

I'd expect to see folks load the box, try to limit JT & make Coan beat you...
+ UW's special teams seem to be struggling out of the gate... should be interesting as the season progresses.
:Popcorn:

edit - oh, & the B1G officials still stink

Last edited:

Lets remember BH also had some excellent classes so it's not all that difficult to recruit to UM imo. JH has had or will have 4 out of 5 recruiting classes in the Top 10. Lets contrast to say WI? Or yes Nebraska the past 15 years? There's been a steady diet of excellent talent and top 10 classes at UM as opposed to recuriting at Nebraska. OSU fired some pretty good coaches because they couldn't beat MU? So there is that to consider because it's almost like an unwritten law for coaches of those respective programs.

Michigan shouldn't lose to unranked teams with the talent glut they enjoy imo. Don't see that as a great accomplishment that many other good coaches couldn't maintain at UM. Most program have down years.. oh except Bama. Not saying JH is a terrible coach but right now he's close to being on the outside looking in. On the other hand 15 million buy out is a pretty steep even for UM.

I'm not advocating firing JH because I could not care less who their coach is to be honest. Give HCSF the same talent that MU has and I'd bet on better results. Obviously that comment is colored because SF is our coach but I really question if JH is the coach that's going to start winning the Big 10... thus beating OSU.

Last edited:

They weren't supposed to be any good this year. Neither was Iowa. Northwestern isn't as good as many thought, but it still looks like the West is going to be a much bigger bear than everyone said going into the season.
no doubt....

Lets remember BH also had some excellent classes so it's not all that difficult to recruit to UM imo. JH has had or will have 4 out of 5 recruiting classes in the Top 10. Lets contrast to say WI? Or yes Nebraska the past 15 years? There's been a steady diet of excellent talent and top 10 classes at UM as opposed to recuriting at Nebraska. OSU fired some pretty good coaches because they couldn't beat MU? So there is that to consider because it's almost like an unwritten law for coaches of those respective programs.

Michigan shouldn't lose to unranked teams with the talent glut they enjoy imo. Don't see that as a great accomplishment that many other good coaches couldn't maintain at UM. Most program have down years.. oh except Bama. Not saying JH is a terrible coach but right now he's close to being on the outside looking in. On the other hand 15 million buy out is a pretty steep even for UM.

I'm not advocating firing JH because I could not care less who their coach is to be honest. Give HCSF the same talent that MU has and I'd bet on better results. Obviously that comment is colored because SF is our coach but I really question if JH is the coach that's going to start winning the Big 10... thus beating OSU.

You don't see beating the teams you should, all of them, as a great accomplishment. Hmmm. Well that's something Frost hasn't achieved yet. Not even close.

The road to the Big 10 Championship goes through OSU. And Michigan is 2 and 15 against them the past 17 years.

Michigan doesn't lose to unranked teams, so I'm not sure what you meant by that.

Are you saying that if Nebraska had Michigan's talent they wouldn't be losing to unranked teams? Um, Nebraska has plenty of talent to maintain that expectation.

Not sure about your claim that Ohio St. has fired coaches (that's plural btw) because they couldn't beat Michigan.

Going back to the year after Woody Hayes 1979. Obviously Woody Hayes wasn't fired for losing to Michigan.

1979 Earl Bruce. Beat Michigan 1st year. was 5-4 against Michigan overall.

1988 John Cooper. He went 2-1-10 against Michigan. Ouch. Took him 6 years to win 10 games and 8 years to win 11. From 1995 to 1998 went 43-7 overall. But was 1-4 against Michigan during that time. Michigan was pretty good then as well, especially 1997.

Tressel 2001. was 9-1 against Michigan.

2012 Urban Meyer 6-0 vs. Michigan.

So I don't see support for multiple coaches being fired for not beating Michigan. Cooper is the closest. But he coached from 1998 to 2000. That's a heck of a lot of time to finally decide he couldn't beat Michigan. Not the 5 years Michigan is giving Harbaugh right about now.

Seems like overall ( I could be way off) you are of the opinion that recruiting to Michigan is a given. And since they have consistently great recruiting classes, it's a given they should never lose to an unranked team. In addition, winning 10 games 3 out of 4 years isn't good enough. Beating their biggest rival OSU, who is out recruiting them, is the ultimate measure. Not winning bowl games, not beating every team they should. Not blowing out teams. Not building an attractive and successful program.

Tom Osborne lost 6 straight to Oklahoma. He also lost 4 strait. Overall record vs Oklahoma 13-13.

Right now very few teams are beating Ohio State. So I don't hold it against harbaugh right now.

I just find it pretty ridiculous to even consider a 10 win coach on the hot seat. I especially find it comical that any Nebraska fan would be the least bit critical of Harbaugh. We haven't exactly overachieved with our Top 25 talent.
Logic. If harbaugh should finish in the Top 10 because they have Top 10 talent, then where should Nebraska finish? Hint. We have Top 25 talent.

We seem to have some double standards when it comes to Frost.

You don't see beating the teams you should, all of them, as a great accomplishment. Hmmm. Well that's something Frost hasn't achieved yet. Not even close.

The road to the Big 10 Championship goes through OSU. And Michigan is 2 and 15 against them the past 17 years.

Michigan doesn't lose to unranked teams, so I'm not sure what you meant by that.

Are you saying that if Nebraska had Michigan's talent they wouldn't be losing to unranked teams? Um, Nebraska has plenty of talent to maintain that expectation.

Not sure about your claim that Ohio St. has fired coaches (that's plural btw) because they couldn't beat Michigan.

Going back to the year after Woody Hayes 1979. Obviously Woody Hayes wasn't fired for losing to Michigan.

1979 Earl Bruce. Beat Michigan 1st year. was 5-4 against Michigan overall.

1988 John Cooper. He went 2-1-10 against Michigan. Ouch. Took him 6 years to win 10 games and 8 years to win 11. From 1995 to 1998 went 43-7 overall. But was 1-4 against Michigan during that time. Michigan was pretty good then as well, especially 1997.

Tressel 2001. was 9-1 against Michigan.

2012 Urban Meyer 6-0 vs. Michigan.

So I don't see support for multiple coaches being fired for not beating Michigan. Cooper is the closest. But he coached from 1998 to 2000. That's a heck of a lot of time to finally decide he couldn't beat Michigan. Not the 5 years Michigan is giving Harbaugh right about now.

Seems like overall ( I could be way off) you are of the opinion that recruiting to Michigan is a given. And since they have consistently great recruiting classes, it's a given they should never lose to an unranked team. In addition, winning 10 games 3 out of 4 years isn't good enough. Beating their biggest rival OSU, who is out recruiting them, is the ultimate measure. Not winning bowl games, not beating every team they should. Not blowing out teams. Not building an attractive and successful program.

Tom Osborne lost 6 straight to Oklahoma. He also lost 4 strait. Overall record vs Oklahoma 13-13.

Right now very few teams are beating Ohio State. So I don't hold it against harbaugh right now.

I just find it pretty ridiculous to even consider a 10 win coach on the hot seat. I especially find it comical that any Nebraska fan would be the least bit critical of Harbaugh. We haven't exactly overachieved with our Top 25 talent.
Logic. If harbaugh should finish in the Top 10 because they have Top 10 talent, then where should Nebraska finish? Hint. We have Top 25 talent.

We seem to have some double standards when it comes to Frost.
Michigan is 0-7 against P5 teams when an underdog since 2015! Not a particular good record would you agree? I stated clearly I don't care who coaches Michigan but they've had tremendous talent advantage over schools like Nebraska!

Why do you bring up Frost after 16 games considering his starting point? Seems like you constantly giving left handed compliments to Frost? Just seems playing both end against the middle. As for TO.. please... Jimmy will NEVER be the college coach TO was imo... never! Frost took a team from a total train wreck to undefeated in 2 years? Not many coaches can make that claim including Jimmy!

To make this short and sweet lets just see how much heat Jimmy receives if he loses to OSU again this year. You say it's ridicilous that he could be on the hot seat? Really? He won't be the first coach fired with his record nor the last. He's bringing down about 7.5 million a year and there will be some restless people if he can't at least win the Big 10.

Cooper had a very good W-L record and was fired with .715 record. Earl Bruce had a .755 record and esentially pushed out. Jimmy is about .745 with ZERO Big 10 CC and is 1-3 in bowl games. Is that good enough for MU? I suspect he won't get fired this season but he's going to be feeling a lot of heat should he lose to OSU once again...........

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Losing to the biggest rival and losing in the biggest games finally caught up with Ohio State football coach John Cooper. He was fired Tuesday, a day after the Buckeyes were defeated 24-7 to unranked South Carolina in the Outback Bowl, leaving him 3-8 in bowl games.

You might not hold it against Jimmy for not being able to beat MU but I'll bet a lot of Michigan fans do..... TO was catching heat until he started beating OU that's the way things go in that business.... BTW I wouldn't trade HCSF for Jimmy period.....

Point is some people apply logic to expectations, then remove that logic when it doesn't fit their agenda. i.e. long rebuild, we need better talent to beat the no names, Riley-trainwreck, etc. It's just bizarre to me, so I posted about it.

So Harbaugh isn't beating teams better than his. 0-7 you say. What is our record against teams where we are favored? What is our record against teams where we are the underdog? Not a particularly good record would you agree?

Harbaugh's record, winning percentage, championships, record in bowl games...ok. Some support not good enough for UM. So what is good enough for Nebraska? Frost goes 4-8 and its all about long term. No immediate expectations.
Frost loses to a first year coach with less talent. No immediate expectations. Long term etc etc. Why is this?

Other teams consistently beat lesser teams. Why can't we have that expectation?

I'm just trying to relate, as this is a Nebraska forum, the situation and angst against Harbaugh. We apparently have less expectation than Michigan. 10 wins is unacceptable for them three out of 4 years. Some here are ok with 4-8, then 6-6 or 7-5. I've seen some posts about give Frost 7 years. For what? To consistently beat lesser teams? Which you don't even hold in high regard. It's all very confusing. Very. I for one would expect to finish in the Top 25 with Top 25 talent. Some don't have that expectation, yet apply that very logic to other teams. Again, very very confusing.

I'll stop posting about expectations for the most part. However frustrating to see how low others are. Over a 5 year period we can look back and see Frost's record against underdogs and his record against favored opponents. Then we can reassess this.

Marginally. He’s like the litany of UW QBs - Stave, Hornibrook, Bevel, Stocco ....

They've only had one star QB in the past 20-25 years. One season of Russell Wilson Jr. Otherwise, they almost always have solid to great teams minus a star QB.

Coan is absolutely better than Hornibrook.

Hornibrook threw at 60% completion rate in his career at Wisconsin. 47 TDs, 33 INTs. His final season, 59.5%, 13 TDs, 11 INTs.

Coan has completed 77.3% of his passes this season. He's thrown zero interceptions. Is he going to have superstar ability? No. But if he can be efficient and play smart -- limiting mistakes, he's very capable of carrying the Badgers to their typical 10-12 wins, a birth in the Big Ten Championship game, and a top ten finish.

Call him a game manager, if you wish -- but thus far he's as good of a game managing quarterback as you could ask for. And better than the majority of Wisconsin quarterbacks -- definitely better than Hornibrook. And the thing is -- you don't have to be a superstar quarterback for that team to win 10+ games. That's a solid defense. Jonathan Taylor is an absolute stud. And they almost always win the battle in the trenches. That has been a winning formula for so long in Madison --- and frankly, I'm a bit jealous.

Yes, Wisconsin still has a tough road, and going undefeated is unlikely. But for any team to beat them, they are going to have to play their A game -- and in many cases, even that won't be enough. This simply looks much more like the many great Wisconsin teams of the past 20 years than it does the 8-win team of last season, which was more like a Pelini coached Husker team -- win most of the games but then fail to show up and get embarrassed 2-3 times per season. Actually, that's now what we call the Harbaugh Michigan teams.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back