• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Moos

What are people’s tboughts, was this the right move? Did they squash the rumors or give it more legs?
What kind of a naïve question is that in the internet age? They had to address it or the hyenas would have Moos torn apart by about 2:00 pm . . . and they may well do it anyway.

Who better are you going to get to a cold-weather school in a mid-major conference?

Dave van Horn would never coach here in its current state.
Don Mattingly?

He was my favorite player in the 80's, loved that crouched down quick swing.

I don't know that miles is the is the issue. Seemingly good dude, decent coach in a traditionally mediocre program. The basketball landscape issues start at the top and are not specific to NU. They are fundamental problems derived from a lack of cohesion between the NCAA, NBA, AAU leagues and Euro league. Different standards based on where you are born, ability to turn pro when you want vs after a certain amount of time, talent evaluation, money etc. Grew up in Nebraska but live in the south now. Was at lunch recently with a major SEC booster and he regaled me with stories of cash for recruits and players. The whole system is broken. Until they figure out how to discourage/curb unethical activity by brands, coaches, AAU coach/brokers/human traffickers, players etc., NU will always be at a disadvantage. 5 man sport where 1 guy can make a HUGE difference on both ends of the court. The primary focus of most hoops players is how fast can my star rise and how do I get paid, not education, legacy and program development....:Banghead:

I guess we could always see what Tyron Lue is up to.:Stirthepot:
AAU has changed the landscape to the point where the OHSAA (Ohio High School Athletic Association) had to change several rules this spring involving equitable play and transfer rules. In 2017, a team won a state championship with 3 transfers in 2017 and 2 from the year before, who all played on the same AAU team. Ridiculous. In addition, the OHSAA state basketball championships used to play to sold out crowds for 3 full days at the Schott at Ohio State University. Now the arena is about half-full for championship games... why????? Kids were transferring to load up at the same school (and often schools that had no tradition or history of winning), so the crowds dwindled and interest waned among basketball fans statewide

Its the Lebron affect. His AAU team transferred to the same high school and they went on to play in the state championship all four years. Players and coaches from all over the state started doing the same thing. It has essentially ruined HS basketball in Ohio. Lebron continues to use the same formula in the NBA... just load up a team, or move to a different team if things aren't working out. Sickens me. I'm sure other states are having the same problem.

Last edited:

I know you have talked this in the past, but remind mewhat is the reasoning for the BIG 10 to put itself voluntarily behind the eightball by limiting the scholarships for baseball as compared to other conferences?
Essentially, the BigTen likes to look at themselves as an academics first conference. What handcuffs us is the fact that in a sport where you can not only go pro early after your junior year, but you can get drafted out of high school. In places like the SEC, Pac12, ACC, Big12, the baseball programs did not have to be at their scholarship number of roughly 12 until the start of spring semester when their sport started. In the B1G, you could never go over your number. You had to wait to allocate scholarships until that person either graduated, or signed with an MLB team. So there are two examples I always give. Think if we knew Randy Gregory, or someone was leaving in football, but we couldn't backfill until they signed? You're a scholarship down before the season even starts unless you get grad transfers. To further illustrate, let's say Jesse WIlkening tells Darin Erstad, "coach, i'm getting projections between round 10-20, i'm going out no matter what. Make sure you have a replacement for me." We CAN NOT give his scholarship away until he signs. Further, if we are going after a kid in high school that is getting MLB looks, if we offer a scholarship and he accepts, we can not "back fill" his spot. So the other example I always give is Arkansas, who turned over their entire 35 man roster in less than 2 recruiting classes, a place like Nebraska with these rules from the B1G, we didn't turn our roster over until year 5. This lets a place like Arkansas not only be able to be wrong and cut kids after fall camp, but allows them to sign better players out of high school. For example, Stobbe out of Millard West was being courted by Erstad and Van Horn. Van Horn can step up and give him a 75% scholarship, Erstad can't go that high, because if the kid goes pro, that money is "tied up" without the kid ever playing an inning for you. Whereas a place like Arkansas can give 75% to Stobbe, then split that up between 2 or 3 kids with "lesser talent" and find out who is best, then cut the rest once fall ball is over. Coincidentally, Stobbe signs with Arkansas and everyone in Nebraska thinks Erstad is "trying to get the local discount" where that is just not true. Luckily, the B1G has given a +2 the last two years. And while that still isn't anywhere close to the other conferences, it's giving us better options. We have gone from 5-8 players a year being recruited, to 10 players in the 2018 and 2019 classes and the ability to go after some "bigger fish", as we just signed two guys that were drafted in the 2018 class because we could "back fill" with the +2.

To go one step further, we all heard the rumors about how Eichorst wouldn't let Riley recruit JUCO, or certainly limited who he could go after. That wasn't just for football. Erstad was told who he could recruit from JUCO as well, and JUCO baseball is much different than football, where kids who qualified go there more frequently to try and get the D1 offer. We quite literally were a mid-major conference, with scholarship restrictions that other conferences didn't have, that played in the cold for baseball, and had an AD restricting even further who you can recruit. The Sun Belt in football is better than the B1G in baseball was a couple years ago. Again, things are changing a bit with the +2 and a new AD. To quote a former national coach of the year in the Pac-12:
"ADs can say they want to be relevant nationally, but if you are in a conference that handcuffs you and doesn't let you account for the draft when not only juniors are eligible but high school players, you will never be relevant."

So then we have a coach that had to deal with all of that. People thinking back to our 7 year run in the Big12 with no restrictions, under a great AD, and under a great head coach, and they can't get past what we used to be. Fortunately people in the know see it much differently. Darin Erstad was a finalist for the Los Angeles Dodgers gig before withdrawing his name. Then followed that up with a conference runner-up finish. Then followed that up with a conference championship and a trophy to go along with Coach of the Year honors. Then last year we don't make the tournament which people are mad about, which I get. But read this paragraph for the last 3 years. Turns down the Los Angeles Dodgers, conference Title, Conference Runner-up, Regionals twice, Coach of the Year once, and all this while dealing with the handicaps i've listed above. And Nebraska deserves better? Delusional. We are just where we need to be. Anxious to see if we can get over the hump now with an unreal 2018 recruiting class that made it to campus. Gotta win some postseason games this year.

Last edited:
Stated way more concise than I can. People don't get that. We aren't getting those dudes.
Its why I can give Erstad much more of a pass than Miles. But its also why I just can't get that excited for Husker baseball any longer. I pay attention and watch when I can but the product is just so watered down from what we once were.

Its why I can give Erstad much more of a pass than Miles. But its also why I just can't get that excited for Husker baseball any longer. I pay attention and watch when I can but the product is just so watered down from what we once were.
That's where my issue is with myself. I give Erstad a pass knowing what I know (it's getting better, I think you will be able to start paying attention in the next year or two). But why was I not holding Miles to a higher standard? Why did I acknowledge the conference move for baseball was a death sentence, but didn't acknowledge being in the B1G now should have helped basketball?

I think Miles is done and think he got enough time. He had two teams that should have won tourney games, and if it doesn't happen this year, it probably won't.

That's where my issue is with myself. I give Erstad a pass knowing what I know (it's getting better, I think you will be able to start paying attention in the next year or two). But why was I not holding Miles to a higher standard? Why did I acknowledge the conference move for baseball was a death sentence, but didn't acknowledge being in the B1G now should have helped basketball?

I think Miles is done and think he got enough time. He had two teams that should have won tourney games, and if it doesn't happen this year, it probably won't.
Basketball has been in the best position its ever been in since the facilities upgrade when you factor in the Big 10 being an elite basketball conference.

Miles has failed to capitalize on this. His teams are mentally weak. I love how they play defense but offensively they are frustrating and I just don't think we get the best out of our players. I don't expect to ever be at the level of MSU as a program but we should have flashes of being a legit top 20 team here and there. Its tough to built at a school with zero basketball pedigree but Miles has had his shot and failed imo.

Seven years has given a pretty accurate resume and he isn't cutting it.

Last edited:
A bit back on topic: This was just released by OWH. Tuesday afternoon, Nebraska A.D. Bill Moos said in an interview with The World-Herald that rumors of his firing and misuse of alcohol in any setting “have no merit.”

Can we just accept that Nebrasketball will never compete for B1G titles? Find a relatively inexpensive coach who can get us into the tourney every couple of years and maybe win a game. Expecting any more than that at DONU is crazy.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back