• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Michigan Week Practice Thread: 28 Sept. Coach Rhule

If the goal is to chase money and build individuals but hopefully the goal is to build a team and win championships.

I understand what you are saying about NIL$ and I think NIL is so new and some of the high-flying teams and coaches rushing to leverage it for quick wins will eventually crash and burn. Building off of celebrity status can be amazing but all it takes is one bad post or image.

I hope that the NCAA reigns in the portal...that has gotten out of hand IMO.
The issue is not the portal. It never has been the portal. The portal is actually a good thing.

The real enabler of this fiasco is the “first transfer is free” policy. That’s what opened the floodgates of players having a bad week of practice and wondering if that other school down the road would make him run fewer stadium steps. Why not see what the interest is if you could be getting fitted for a new helmet by Thursday and it wouldn’t cost you a thing to do it? It’s a different feel when it goes from “I can always transfer if it’s not perfect” to “I can always forfeit a year of eligibility”

Last edited:

The issue is not the portal. It never has been the portal. The portal is actually a good thing.

The real enabler of this fiasco is the “first transfer is free” policy. That’s what opened the floodgates of players having a bad week of practice and wondering if that other school down the road would make him run fewer stadium steps. Why not see what the interest is if you could be getting fitted for a new helmet by Thursday and it wouldn’t cost you a thing to do it? It’s a different feel when it goes from “I can always transfer if it’s not perfect” to “I can always forfeit a year of eligibility”
How do you balance that with a person's rights and freedoms? If a normal college student switches schools every year, there are no restrictions.

Hope Fleeks is working on ball security. Don't know how many receptions he's had this year, but there will be a huge difference in attacking the ball he will experience this week.

Plus Fleeks may be better at picking up blitzes, something that say Grant lacks sometimes.
Grant has been pretty good at that, but having a 185-190 lb redshirt freshman and 185-190 true freshman as backups gives me pause regarding blitz pick-ups if Grant is not in there. Besides, using Fleeks as a third down back may give us a better option as a check down receiver……though Grant is pretty good at that, too.

Grant has been pretty good at that, but having a 185-190 lb redshirt freshman and 185-190 true freshman as backups gives me pause regarding blitz pick-ups if Grant is not in there. Besides, using Fleeks as a third down back may give us a better option as a check down receiver……though Grant is pretty good at that, too.
Grant is ok at catching out of the backfield, and better at blitz pick up, but there's only one of him

That's at a schools discretion, not an organizational mandate. I should have stated there is no organization forbidding transfers of students
Never heard of a player not accepted because of non transferable credits as being the prerequisite on the schools side

Grant is an amazing RB overall. He has fumble issues which is what's kept him off the field (until injuries). There isn't anything he doesn't do well otherwise. But yes, there is only one of him and he'll get tired at some point. I don't see a 180lb "kid" blocking the Michigan LB's or DL that comes free.

IDK how to interpret this bit of news. Does this mean that the staff is liking what they see at WR and Fleeks is not needed or does it mean the staff is unhappy with the guys backing up Grant and feel they need more experience there?

Fleeks is the "player to be named later" in the Tommi Hill-to-WR trade. Next week, a RB will be traded to the defensive backfield for parttime duty.

Grant is an amazing RB overall. He has fumble issues which is what's kept him off the field (until injuries). There isn't anything he doesn't do well otherwise. But yes, there is only one of him and he'll get tired at some point. I don't see a 180lb "kid" blocking the Michigan LB's or DL that comes free.
I've a feeling AG is changing his game and has shifted his focus/comfort somewhat. If this is so, his previous habits of holding onto the ball should resurface imo

How do you balance that with a person's rights and freedoms? If a normal college student switches schools every year, there are no restrictions
But they aren't a normal college student. The universities have an investment in them with the free education...medical and mental health availability...the stipend and now the NIL possibility because of the football exposure. Not many regular students are have a shot at NIL money. And the training table...did you see the slabs of meat they were dropping on the players plates. I don't know about you guys, but it looked a wee bit more appetizing than the ramen, hot dogs and cereal I ate as a college student!
Unless they are a grad student, there's a coaching change or the university releases them because of a family hardship I think its fair to set out a year. They can transfer as many times as they like, but they would be required to set out a year each time. Also that would stop certain unscrupulous coaches from recruiting players currently under scholarship elsewhere.

Another option to avoid setting out (a year) would be to require them to notify the coaching staff before the start of the spring semester that they are leaving. Thus giving the coaches a chance to fill the slot at signing day.

But they aren't a normal college student. The universities have an investment in them with the free education...medical and mental health availability...the stipend and now the NIL possibility because of the football exposure. Not many regular students are have a shot at NIL money. And the training table...did you see the slabs of meat they were dropping on the players plates. I don't know about you guys, but it looked a wee bit more appetizing than the ramen, hot dogs and cereal I ate as a college student!
Unless they are a grad student, there's a coaching change or the university releases them because of a family hardship I think its fair to set out a year. They can transfer as many times as they like, but they would be required to set out a year each time. Also that would stop certain unscrupulous coaches from recruiting players currently under scholarship elsewhere.

Another option to avoid setting out (a year) would be to require them to notify the coaching staff before the start of the spring semester that they are leaving. Thus giving the coaches a chance to fill the slot at signing day.
But that's no different than say a med student right? Putting the costs on both the students and the uni may help.
Don't have them forfeit a year of eligibility, just next years play.
Expand that eligibility at the cost of the players and schools commitment.
Do that, it slows the want to play now, or, option to losing a year of eligibility but playing the next year. Only exemptions is as it is, graduates.

But they aren't a normal college student. The universities have an investment in them with the free education...medical and mental health availability...the stipend and now the NIL possibility because of the football exposure.
Im not sure all that requires them to wave their freedom to transfer schools without penalty
Not many regular students are have a shot at NIL money.
All other students are allowed to work jobs. Until recently, that was not allowed to student athletes
And the training table...did you see the slabs of meat they were dropping on the players plates. I don't know about you guys, but it looked a wee bit more appetizing than the ramen, hot dogs and cereal I ate as a college student!
i didnt see it, but imagine it looked good. I missed the whole college experience and went to work, while eating Ramen and cereal

I like you, because I like your avatar.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back