• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Michigan Week Practice Thread: 28 Sept. Coach Rhule

But that's no different than say a med student right? Putting the costs on both the students and the uni may help.
Don't have them forfeit a year of eligibility, just next years play.
Expand that eligibility at the cost of the players and schools commitment.
Do that, it slows the want to play now, or, option to losing a year of eligibility but playing the next year. Only exemptions is as it is, graduates.
Yes, I don't think they should forfeit a year of eligibility...they just can't be on the field the next year.

Grant is an amazing RB overall. He has fumble issues which is what's kept him off the field (until injuries). There isn't anything he doesn't do well otherwise. But yes, there is only one of him and he'll get tired at some point. I don't see a 180lb "kid" blocking the Michigan LB's or DL that comes free.
Does Grant have a habitual fumbling problem? His coach said he had some issues in fall camp and we all know the one in MN was disasterous, but last year he ran the ball 218 times and had a handful of receptions and I don't think he had a single fumble. If someone only looked at stats and knew nothing else, it wouldn't seem like he had a problem. Maybe he just had a bad week at the end of fall practice that caught up to him week 1. Just trying to make myself feel better about the RB room.

Last edited:
But they aren't a normal college student. The universities have an investment in them with the free education...medical and mental health availability...the stipend and now the NIL possibility because of the football exposure. Not many regular students are have a shot at NIL money. And the training table...did you see the slabs of meat they were dropping on the players plates. I don't know about you guys, but it looked a wee bit more appetizing than the ramen, hot dogs and cereal I ate as a college student!
Unless they are a grad student, there's a coaching change or the university releases them because of a family hardship I think its fair to set out a year. They can transfer as many times as they like, but they would be required to set out a year each time. Also that would stop certain unscrupulous coaches from recruiting players currently under scholarship elsewhere.

Another option to avoid setting out (a year) would be to require them to notify the coaching staff before the start of the spring semester that they are leaving. Thus giving the coaches a chance to fill the slot at signing day.
if you consider free education being, besides going to class, you make millions for the university and have a full time job harder than any job most of us have ever had.

I think sometimes coaches get in players head. I always so Grant as a win and he was a small part of the turnovers.

The key here is do not take everything the HCMR says at face value.

There is a lot of "little white lies" or what used to be called coach speak going on.

Like:
Sims is an NFL QB
-DB Tommi Hill getting run on offense and special teams because he's a good player that needs to be used as much as possible-"When you have good players you try to utilize them"

And there have been more but you get the idea.
Its fine that he says these things to use the media to manipulate players, it just should be remembered that these statements do not have to be the "100% factual truth".

GBR
Do you really think he's lying about Tommi Hill? Honestly? He must be seeing something in practice to keep putting him on the field more and more each week. If he were lying, that would mean he is intentionally undermining his own team by playing an incapable player. Coaches don't do that. Maybe the experiment fails, but he obviously sees something.

Many also scoffed (I was one of them) at his comment about Benhart, saying he is an NFL tackle. Well, don't look now, but he's rated the #37 tackle in the country (I believe he was somewhere around the high 500's last year). I really don't think he says the things he says to "manipulate" players. He honestly believes in them. Whether we agree with him or not, that is different. But he's at practice while we are not. So you gotta take his assessment and hope he is right on 90% of his takes. If so, then we'll be okay.

Last edited:

if you consider free education being, besides going to class, you make millions for the university and have a full time job harder than any job most of us have ever had.
It's not just a free education, though that is the giant piece. It's also free room and board, free books, constant access to a giant academic support staff, top notch medical care, and now the added benefit of being able to cash in on NIL.

It's not just a free education, though that is the giant piece. It's also free room and board, free books, constant access to a giant academic support staff, top notch medical care, and now the added benefit of being able to cash in on NIL.
So a scholarship plus health care. But then again, you don't see many med students destroying their knees tapping others, so there's that.

That's at a schools discretion, not an organizational mandate. I should have stated there is no organization forbidding transfers of students
Even there it is a false equivalence. The NCAA does not prevent you from transferring schools. They just say you can not play at the new one. All sports have similar rules.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back