• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Maryland and Rutgers to join the B1G?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This doesn't seem like a move to 14 teams. That is just awkward in many ways scheduling wise. I'm thinking 16 teams as well. I've heard Ga Techs name thrown out there but not a 16th name. Anyone else heard of another name?

I'm torn on this one really. You can't argue with the TV markets aspect. Competition wise it's a bit underwhelming. On the other hand I don't want a conference schedule that is murderers row either. Sadly, I think this is just the precursor to 16 team conferences which I have been hoping wouldn't happen.

This doesn't seem like a move to 14 teams. That is just awkward in many ways scheduling wise. I'm thinking 16 teams as well. I've heard Ga Techs name thrown out there but not a 16th name. Anyone else heard of another name?

I keep saying that if they are going after GaTech, FSU makes the most sense(outside of Notre Dame).

Rutgers, Maryland, Georgia Tech and Florida State would give the Big Ten a pretty strong presence along the eastern seaboard.

It would also make for interesting divisions. The 4 newbies and Penn State make a clean "eastern block," but who are the other three? Ohio State and the Indianas?

I keep saying that if they are going after GaTech, FSU makes the most sense(outside of Notre Dame).
Getting part of the Florida cable TV market would be huge for revenue and recruiting. You can't argue that. I still wonder if they are talking to Notre Dame though. Maybe it's negotiations with ND behind closed doors that if the B1G does this Maryland/Rutgers/Ga Tech or Fla St deal, ND will jump ship and finally take the B1G up on its offer. Any of the last 3 schools mentioned, Ga Tech/Fla ST/ND would be a home run TV viewer wise and name Cachet wise.

I don't like the choice of schools. Not strong. They will add to the perception of a weak conference when they start losing the pre-conference games and the bowls, if they make any. Plus Maryland has the ugliest unis in the nation.

I don't like the choice of schools. Not strong. They will add to the perception of a weak conference when they start losing the pre-conference games and the bowls, if they make any. Plus Maryland has the ugliest unis in the nation.

Rutgers has a better record than us and has won their last 5 bowl games...just saying.

Rutgers has been a pretty good team the last few years. Maryland not so much. Seems odd to take these two for anything other than TV revenue. At least we benefit from that as well.

Remember, this isn't about a schools sports strength. This is about cable TV revenue in big markets. NU was able to join the B1G not because of the Omaha/Lincoln areas, which is small I might add, but it is a national brand. The fact that NU is a football blue blood didn't hurt either. In the case of the 2 new schools, it's all about cable TV revenue, not what they are bringing to the table sports wise. I would opine that you don't want to bring in all big name schools either or you would create a murderers row and you would rarely have one of your teams competing for MNC.

Remember, this isn't about a schools sports strength. This is about cable TV revenue in big markets. NU was able to join the B1G not because of the Omaha/Lincoln areas, which is small I might add, but it is a national brand. The fact that NU is a football blue blood didn't hurt either. In the case of the 2 new schools, it's all about cable TV revenue, not what they are bringing to the table sports wise. I would opine that you don't want to bring in all big name schools either or you would create a murderers row and you would rarely have one of your teams competing for MNC.

Bingo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back