• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked LB Deion Jones commits to NU

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was aware of him....but not sure how much interest there was from him....he wanted an LSU or Alabama offer and it looked like the LSU offer was going to come....but fate stepped in.....if LSU was going to offer him that tells me quite a bit too....

I don't think this has anything to do with another target....he got this one on his own....

LSU's coaching staff had indicated through Keiser that a scholarship offer was to be extended when Jones participated in the Tigers' final summer football camp in late July following his participation in Alabama's camp.

But Jones missed the LSU camp due to a death in his family, according to his father Cal, after the younger Jones had participated in Alabama's camp just days earlier. Neither Cal or Deion Jones contacted the LSU staff and the offer was withdrawn.

LSU accepted commitments from Katy, Texas, Morton Ranch defensive end Danielle Hunter and DeSoto, Texas, cornerback Jalen Mills instead on July 20.

Jones had participated in LSU's 2010 camp in the summer prior to his junior year and was selected as a team MVP.

"I made a big mistake'' in not calling, Cal Jones, who grew up in Algiers with LSU running backs coach and recruiting coordinator Frank Wilson, said. "It's a business and I understand.''

So the Joneses moved forward and into the Big Red fold.

http://highschoolsports.nola.com/ne...n-jones-commits-to-play-football-at-nebraska/

I don't know about Red Reign - But I didn't have this guy on my radar at all. Frankly, this came out of nowhere. And I'm content admitting that.

At first thought, I can't help but think another target has told the staff of their plans and Nebraska accepted Jones' commit in turn.

Regardless of the circumstances, welcome to the Big Red Family Deion!

Last edited:

This is why we are taking him:

http://highschoolsports.nola.com/ne...n-jones-commits-to-play-football-at-nebraska/

And he has giddy-up to burn and at 205 he won't have to bulk up much to play OLB where we recruited him for....man that speed comign for the outside will be lights-out if he is puts together the rest of his game....I can't wait to see some film on him...:)

Hah. As you'll see above in a previous post of mine, I've noted his accomplishments. I don't doubt him as a player. I'm just very surprised to have a player with his accolades come off the grid and land so quickly. Here's something to consider: Of HuskerOnline, Huskers Illustrated, and Big Red Report - only Big Red Report had done a piece on him before today. While I understand they can't cover everyone - I think it's interesting that he slipped through the cracks this way.

His coach:

Though Jones weighed just 200 at the time if the commitment, Keiser said, he projects to 220 pounds once he graduates and stops playing basketball. Jones finished with more than 100 tackles last year, Keiser said, and blocked three kicks for 10-3 Jesuit, which lost in the 5A state quarterfinals.

Jones’ biggest strength, Keiser said, is his ability to track a play and chase down running backs.

http://dataomaha.com/huskers/player/jones-deion

Mainly because they had no film on him I suspect and it pretty much looked like he was a lock for LSU.....sometimes they miss kids like this....heck even you and I do....:) :) Nice to stump the dummies sometimes...:) :)

Like I said I was aware of him because of the Husker offer....and it looked like he was LSU bound so I pretty much let it go...not to mention no film....;):lol:

BRB has him rated a 3-star yet have no film either...maybe the story swayed them.....

Oh and he will be on an official visit to the UTC game on opening weekend...:)

Hah. As you'll see above in a previous post of mine, I've noted his accomplishments. I don't doubt him as a player. I'm just very surprised to have a player with his accolades come off the grid and land so quickly. Here's something to consider: Of HuskerOnline, Huskers Illustrated, and Big Red Report - only Big Red Report had done a piece on him before today. While I understand they can't cover everyone - I think it's interesting that he slipped through the cracks this way.

Last edited:

Mainly because they had no film on him I suspect and it pretty much looked like he was a lock for LSU.....sometimes they miss kids like this....heck even you and I do....:) :) Nice to stump the dummies sometimes...:) :)

Like I said I was aware of him because of the Husker offer....and it looked like he was LSU bound so I pretty much let it go...not to mention no film....

I know Kris Knowlton of HI was going to get in touch with 24/7 Sports' national guys to see if they could track down some tape. I'll be sure to update if they do.

Regarding LSU, I don't think we're quite out of the woods yet. He may not get the offers he wants (Alabama too), but I wouldn't rule out the other SEC schools checking in with another solid season. We're bringing in solid players with such a small class, and we're going to need to keep recruiting until the end at NSD.

And yes, Red, I know you're aware of what I'm saying. Just a little note for those not weighing in at the moment. :)

Not sold on him as a linebacker but time will tell. Thanks for the info. I guess he may just turn out to be another athlete chosen to become another possible athlete in the Pelini plan. Not being negative as I am sounding, but I am ready for some real Big 10 type linebackers like Hawk and Poulouszny(Sp.) The ones that have been successful. Not ones recruited coming in that we have no idea where they really may play. Lets go get a true "lb" or six!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think we are...his dad sounds like a pretty straight forward guy....much like Charles Jackson's dad...he is 'N' in my opinion...like hsi coach said they all know Bo in Lousiana and that is HUGE itself...

I would not be surprised if he looks as good on film as we both suspect that he is a high 3-star/low 4-star before its done...but in the end who cares?...we got him and that is all that matters...and Bo is a LB coaching 'God' and the family knows that....

You always have to recruti every commit until signing day...

I know Kris Knowlton of HI was going to get in touch with 24/7 Sports' national guys to see if they could track down some tape. I'll be sure to update if they do.

Regarding LSU, I don't think we're quite out of the woods yet. He may not get the offers he wants (Alabama too), but I wouldn't rule out the other SEC schools checking in with another solid season. We're bringing in solid players with such a small class, and we're going to need to keep recruiting until the end at NSD.

And yes, Red, I know you're aware of what I'm saying. Just a little note for those not weighing in at the moment. :)

Just from I have read I'm sold...can't wait to see some film......with his giddy-up and at 220 lbs, as projected, he will be just fine...he is moving from ILB to OLB....with that speed that makes sense...

I don't get the whole Big 10 linebacker thing.....never have...if you got 'game' you will be fine...

He is being recruited to play LB and in this small class with a need for 3-4 LBs I can pretty much bet that is where he will play...

So what is a true LB?? And what makes you say he has no clue where he will play?

Not sold on him as a linebacker but time will tell. Thanks for the info. I guess he may just turn out to be another athlete chosen to become another possible athlete in the Pelini plan. Not being negative as I am sounding, but I am ready for some real Big 10 type linebackers like Hawk and Poulouszny(Sp.) The ones that have been successful. Not ones recruited coming in that we have no idea where they really may play. Lets go get a true "lb" or six!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I lived in Louisiana for years, and saw plenty of HS football. If he was all-state there as a junior, he's an excellent college prospect.

Just 'spoke' to a source of mine...said this young man is a STUD LB....just a beast....lack of film is the issue with the recruiting services....thinks he will be a 4-star across the board once the film hits 247, Rivals etc....

Said this might be the biggest steal of the Pelini era in recruiting....

Just 'spoke' to a source of mine...said this young man is a STUD LB....just a beast....lack of film is the issue with the recruiting services....thinks he will be a 4-star across the board once the film hits 247, Rivals etc....

I thought you were turning in...... ;)

As always thanks!

So what do we know about Deion?

I don't know about Red Reign - But I didn't have this guy on my radar at all. Frankly, this came out of nowhere. And I'm content admitting that.

At first thought, I can't help but think another target has told the staff of their plans and Nebraska accepted Jones' commit in turn.

Regardless of the circumstances, welcome to the Big Red Family Deion!

This guy is fast, fast, fast. Was All State First Team in Louisiana.

Don't worry about the rating. It won't stay at 2*s for long.

You do know why most guys are 2-stars this early? Normally because there is either no film on him or the recruiting services have not evaluated it....and that is the case with this recruitment...

Trust me Bo is a LB guru if he took this kid that is good enough for me....Bo knows linebackers....and that is a fact....

Not to mention we need 3-4 linebackers in this class and this gives us our second one....

Once again, many thanks. Looks like a really good kid. Pulling talent like that from LA. Not too shabby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back