• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked LB Deion Jones commits to NU

Status
Not open for further replies.

I don't know about Red Reign - But I didn't have this guy on my radar at all. Frankly, this came out of nowhere. And I'm content admitting that.

At first thought, I can't help but think another target has told the staff of their plans and Nebraska accepted Jones' commit in turn.

Regardless of the circumstances, welcome to the Big Red Family Deion!

This guy is fast, fast, fast. Was All State First Team in Louisiana.

Don't worry about the rating. It won't stay at 2*s for long.

A face to the name:

Football10_Metro_DeboJones_250.jpg

Here is the website for Jones' high school team. Among the notes:

-Voted to Louisiana Sportswriters' 5A All-State Team (as HIO already mentioned)
-The Times-Picayune’s 2010 All-Metro Football Team
-The Clarion Herald’s 2010 Elite Football Team
-All-District Defensive MVP

One thing of interest: Deion will not turn 17 until next month, but is going into his senior season. Another youngin' for Pelini's staff.

Last edited:

Just found some numbers:

6' 2" and 200lbs with 4.43 speed. THAT is why he's going to be a Nebraska linebacker, folks.

I guess I am going to ask you your basis on this!????? I agree that speed kills, but we are leaving the little 10 for the BIG 10. All of you educated people know this is a power conference. So what is your point about going to a 4.43 lb. I remember alot of us worried L David wouldnt thrive as well in the BIG 10 and their power running games. And if we are going to a 3 lb set at times, who needs a 4.43 lb.??????

Not trying to be condenscending,,,,,I really want you to educate me on the matter.

Last edited:
I guess I am going to ask you your basis on this!????? I agree that speed kills, but we are leaving the little 10 for the BIG 10. All of you educated people know this is a power conference. So what is your point about going to a 4.43 lb. I remember alot of us worried L David wouldnt thrive as well in the BIG 10 and their power running games. And if we are going to a 3 lb set at times, who needs a 4.43 lb.??????

Not trying to be condenscending,,,,,I really want you to educate me on the matter.

First, keep in mind his size and age. He's 200 pounds now, but he's just about to turn seventeen. Meaning he would be right around his eighteenth right when Nebraska gets to their non-conference schedule his first year on campus and has a lot of room to grow. To me, that leaves no option but to red ********. So we're clearly not bringing him in for an immediate impact at the position.

With that in mind, he could slide back to safety with the right skill set. With that speed and height, safety seems like a possible destination. I don't think that's the intention by any means - but always a possibility. The staff hasn't been shy to shift players around. I think a lot of that will depend on how he fills out. Again, he's very young.

Regarding his size in relation to the conference - I'm currently in a hold pattern, personally. David has been sitting right around 225 for a while now, and it seems like that's about all he's going to get to. Rose is around 230 and another Husker LB target, Lambert, is about the same size. They'll grow but they're still in a similar weight bracket. It seems like Bo doesn't feel the need to go get some extra beefy players right now, and I have to assume there is a reason. As I said - I'm in a hold pattern. I'm waiting to see what the defense looks like this season. We'll see how he utilizes that speed we have a LB, and if it's going to work. I think this coming season will give fans and coaches an idea of what recruiting philosophies may need to be altered, if any, to suit the new schedule.

You do know why most guys are 2-stars this early? Normally because there is either no film on him or the recruiting services have not evaluated it....and that is the case with this recruitment...

Trust me Bo is a LB guru if he took this kid that is good enough for me....Bo knows linebackers....and that is a fact....

Not to mention we need 3-4 linebackers in this class and this gives us our second one....

nevermind....2 star

Last edited:
Not to mention we need 3-4 linebackers in this class and this gives us our second one....

I was actually thinking about this earlier. I can't help but wonder if the staff was told by another target that they're heading another direction. Deion just came out of nowhere. It really has me thrown off, to be completely honest.

We are getting a real steal here folks and a solid OLB....I really am excited with this pickup....:)

Story from New Orleans:

Gotta love this:

As the reigning District 10-5A Catholic League Defensive Player of the Year and a returning first-team All-State selection in Class 5A, Jones is fully qualified academically with a 23 on the ACT, Jesuit Coach Wayde Keiser said.

And this:

"I chose Nebraska because they're a defensively-minded school and they recruited me as a linebacker,'' Jones said. "I developed a real good relationship with Coach Raymond. I felt comfortable talking with him. He was real with me. He gave me good advice. Then I started looking up (information about) Nebraska to learn more about them. They have really good facilities.

The clincher, Jones said, was when "Coach Raymond assured my dad that they would take care of me and make sure that I go to class, and that he'll take care of me like I'm one of his own. My parents liked what he said.''

Finally this:

"As a family we prayed about it and we feel good about it,'' Cal Jones said. At Nebraska "They make sure 95 percent of their athletes graduate. They take real good care of the kids from out-of-state. They have great tradition. They have a great coach in Coach Pelini. They've produced a lot of linebackers in the (NFL).''

"I think Nebraska is going to be a great place for him because they're trying to recruit athletic types of people to play linebacker and in the secondary,'' Keiser said. "Bo Pelini has always recruited that kind of kid. The biggest thing Debo (Jones) brings to the table is his athleticism.''

This is why we are taking him:

As the reigning District 10-5A Catholic League Defensive Player of the Year and a returning first-team All-State selection in Class 5A, Jones is fully qualified academically with a 23 on the ACT, Jesuit Coach Wayde Keiser said.

http://highschoolsports.nola.com/ne...n-jones-commits-to-play-football-at-nebraska/

And he has giddy-up to burn and at 205 he won't have to bulk up much to play OLB where we recruited him for....man that speed coming from the outside will be lights-out if he is puts together the rest of his game....I can't wait to see some film on him...:)

I was actually thinking about this earlier. I can't help but wonder if the staff was told by another target that they're heading another direction. Deion just came out of nowhere. It really has me thrown off, to be completely honest.

Last edited:

More from the LJS:

Deion Jones lives in New Orleans, where the locals might first think of SEC football when they're not otherwise talking about Drew Brees.

But Jones knows the game well. He knows about Nebraska football, about Bo Pelini and the Big Ten Conference.

"Big college fan," Jones said.

Now you can count the prep linebacker as a big Husker fan after committing to NU on Tuesday night.

The 6-foot-2, 200-pound all-stater was sold on Nebraska after forming a close relationship with new NU secondary coach Corey Raymond.

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/recruiting/article_f84f3eb8-223b-51c2-ad9e-ed8d35fa2209.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back