• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

JUCO running back Greg Bell leaves the team

Dear GB. Thanks for coming. You were welcome to be a football immortal. It just wasn’t in the cards. It doesn’t matter why. I hope you win the Heisman and get into the NFL HOF as soon as you are eligible. But if you are forgotten and thrown to the side winds of who da heck were you. Just remember deep down inside we loved you for 4 games. Peace.

How about publicly stating that Bell was feeling sorry for himself? There have been other questionable public statements about players.

A quote printed out of context by a media outlet, not at all surprising.

https://247sports.com/college/nebra...tus-with-the-team-seems-in-the-air-122911489/

This article shows that the line was a part of a larger praise for Bell and his work ethic/ability. He states that often JUCO players need a half season to transition, and that he had earned lots of time in the rotation. He says that the 80 percent mark for Ozigbo against Purdue was "unusual" and that all three guys would likely get a good number of snaps.

Greg Bell decided his talent was being under-utilized because he didn't get many snaps in ONE game, and didn't have the patience to give it more of a go over the next few to see how many snaps he would get. I see no signs of bullying or abuse in that quote. I see a kid making an impatient decision on limited evidence.

Dear GB. Thanks for coming. You were welcome to be a football immortal. It just wasn’t in the cards. It doesn’t matter why. I hope you win the Heisman and get into the NFL HOF as soon as you are eligible. But if you are forgotten and thrown to the side winds of who da heck were you. Just remember deep down inside we loved you for 4 games. Peace.

LOL :thumbsup:

C

A quote printed out of context by a media outlet, not at all surprising.

https://247sports.com/college/nebra...tus-with-the-team-seems-in-the-air-122911489/

This article shows that the line was a part of a larger praise for Bell and his work ethic/ability. He states that often JUCO players need a half season to transition, and that he had earned lots of time in the rotation. He says that the 80 percent mark for Ozigbo against Purdue was "unusual" and that all three guys would likely get a good number of snaps.

Greg Bell decided his talent was being under-utilized because he didn't get many snaps in ONE game, and didn't have the patience to give it more of a go over the next few to see how many snaps he would get. I see no signs of bullying or abuse in that quote. I see a kid making an impatient decision on limited evidence.

To the bold, it certainly feels that way.

C

I sometimes think the staff thinks they can bully or humiliate players into playing better.
I don’t think they humiliated anyone. The kids know. The staff is trying to increase the quality of practice. This isn’t “just practice” you practice as you play the game. If you don’t practice with that in mind you get passed by players who do! It’s pretty simple. Practice harder and better, fewer mistakes and you will play.

I sometimes think the staff thinks they can bully or humiliate players into playing better.
Flat out a totally ridiculous statement regarding our coaching staff........ I guess I shouldn't be surprised this type of BS is already creeping out from a few malcontents.

Last edited:
I believe SF is slowly draining the swamp.... Not easy and takes time to get the type of players he wants. I think Bell did us a favor because if that was his that attitude he was part of the problem, not the solution. What the hell ever happened to players helping teammates even when they aren't the starter?

I believe those type of players are probably a vocal minority but they simply don't help this team.
Agree.

I've wondered somewhat about some of the comments the coaches have stated publicly about players. Held was quoted as saying Bell was feeling sorry for himself. Not sure TO would ahave done that. I'm not excusing Bell not being able to handle the demotion but it seems like Held could have handled that in house without calling the kid out publicly.

That's a bit out of context because he followed that up by saying Bell responded by practicing well.

Flat out a totally ridiculous statement regarding our coaching staff........ I guess I shouldn't be surprised this type of BS is already creeping out from a few malcontents.

Not ridiculous statement at all. It’s clear that this staff is using comments to the media as one of their various coaching tools.

Whether it’s sound strategy or not will be proven out over time.

That's a bit out of context because he followed that up by saying Bell responded by practicing well.

Cmon. TO would have told you that a practice was had, and then make a vaguely positive comment about effort. He enjoyed revealing facts about the state of his program about as much as I enjoy a colonoscopy.

This staff obviously has a very deliberate strategy in place. Time will tell if it was right.

I'm estimating here but keep in mind that half this football team has never won a football game in college. The majority of the other half has won less games then the coaching staff did last year at UCF. This coaching staff does not have a wealth of players experienced at winning. NU doesn't have juniors or seniors who can hold the underclassmen accountable and speak with authority. At some point the coaching staff has to step in to fill this gap. The coaching staff started the process of holding players accountable publicly when they toured NE in the summer. I strongly suspect that public accountability by the coaching staff will slow down once players begin to step up and hold one another accountable.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back