• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

JUCO running back Greg Bell leaves the team

Juco’s are always a crap shoot. I’m curious what Bell thinks he’s going to accomplish by leaving. If I was a coach at major power 5, I don’t think I’d look twice at a former Juco who left his new team after 4 games because he lost his starting job.

I think they are communicating and motivating them just fine. I think the message is getting delivered and received exactly as planned.

You may very well be right. Only time will tell.

However, both of these recent transfers seem to have caught the staff completely off guard. I'm not sure that suggests "connecting."

Last edited:
It gives pause concerning how well this staff connects with and motivates players.
I’d agree with you if it was year 3-4 and 90% of the players were recruited by them. Yes Bell was recruited by Frost but it was a class that was quickly thrown together and Bell was seen as a short term fix. I expect that the 2019 class will have been more thoroughly vetted and overall be a better fit. I’m glad Scott is doing it his way from day 1 and not throwing a bandaid over the program for a year or 2 then making wholesale changes. It’s gonna take 2-3 more good recruiting cycles and walk on development before this starts looking like Nebraska again

You may very well be right. Only time will tell.

However, both of these recent transfers seem to have caught the staff completely off guard. I'm not sure that suggests "connecting."

I'm sure it did catch them off guard but coaches never really know what goes on in a kids head. As a coach you set the direction and tell guys what you expect of them and you hold them to it. You hope they will buy in but if they don't it's out of your control. It may be a surprise to have someone you expect a lot from let you down but I don't consider it a "connecting" issue on the coaches part if they are clear about what they expect from someone. In the end it's up to the individual to decide and sometimes they make a decision you hoped they wouldn't make. :Sign2cents:

From the article on 247

Bell also confirmed his intentions, tellingESPN.com he felt he “earned the starting job and feel I have continued to work the same way but feel I am not being used to my fullest potential."

Hope he doesn’t forget to take his binky with him.
How can I get used to my fullest potential? I know, I'll pout about my playing time, transfer out after four games, and then not play again for 3/4 of a season and another season. That seems like a great plan. Let's do it!

Yep, we are going to lose so many we won’t be able to get there. We can count a ton back with early signing period, but at what point is there diminishing return on who you are taking just to fill spots. Us not being able to get to 85 isn’t a regime problem yet. It is in year 3/year 4.

At this rate Nebraska will have less players on scholarship than the Kansas football team next season. :thumbsup:

I've wondered somewhat about some of the comments the coaches have stated publicly about players. Held was quoted as saying Bell was feeling sorry for himself. Not sure TO would ahave done that. I'm not excusing Bell not being able to handle the demotion but it seems like Held could have handled that in house without calling the kid out publicly.

I've wondered somewhat about some of the comments the coaches have stated publicly about players. Held was quoted as saying Bell was feeling sorry for himself. Not sure TO would ahave done that. I'm not excusing Bell not being able to handle the demotion but it seems like Held could have handled that in house without calling the kid out publicly.

Yeah, I would not have said he is feeling sorry for himself. Sometimes saying less to the media is a good thing.

C

Yeah, I would not have said he is feeling sorry for himself. Sometimes saying less to the media is a good thing.

C

I wonder if someone at the university should consider offering the coaching staff a class titled...

Coach Speak 101: Less is More

5ba26d35f26bf.image.jpg

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back