• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

JD Speilman Is Transfering

Status
Not open for further replies.

I was referencing him not happy with the coaching.

You said something to the effect that we should do more to keep them. What would that entail? And tapping into that a little, I think some of Frost’s comments about JD in the early part of their relationship tended to hint at the fact JD wasn’t a guy who practiced particularly hard, though he did step up in games. If he doesn’t like the expectations of practicing harder, do we make an exception for JD? Doesn’t that create a potential issue with morale? I also wonder if Walters having a less focused drive this last year or so, and the lack of receiver development fit into JD’s nonchalant practice habits, and Lubick was not likely to mirror Walters style.

Last edited:
He’s overrated by huskier fans. I would say this even if he had stayed. I bet he would have been a very late draft pick or not drafted at all. I’m not trying to be negative but I was never impressed. He wouldn’t be a number one receiver at most BIG schools.

Disagree on all fronts.

64th, 54th, 80th.

That's Nebraska's national rank in scoring offense the past three seasons (2019, 2018, 2017).

102nd.

That's Nebraska's FBS rank for combined winning percentage over the past three seasons (2017-2019).

I tend to think that's a large part of why some perceive Spielman as less than others. Because our offense has sucked and the team has been a disaster. And by chance, Spielman was a part of all three seasons. Can anyone else of significance say that? Probably not. Yet, he's been the most consistently good Husker over that period of crap teams. Even pick the Huskers that were part of two of the three, and Spielman was still the most consistently good. It's a challenge to heap praise on a player when the team generally sucks. I get that. But at the same time, the fact that Spielman has consistently been that good on garbage teams should speak volumes in his favor.
You could also argue his numbers are inflated because we’ve sucked so bad. Huskers have definitely aired it out more when theyre behind. His 200 yard game against Ohio state his freshman year was impressive but probably wouldn’t have happened if the huskers weren’t blown out before halftime.

He's not ahead
Disagree on all fronts.
I’ve already stated overrated was the wrong term. I’ve also stated he’s a good player. As far as the NFL draft stuff we will never know. It’s a message board and it definitely got a lot of conversation going. I think we will have better receivers in the future. I believe Robinson might already be better. All that said I hope the kid comes back.

Tough questions since I would be building my team and then you leave out some guys with heavy production:

Outside WR - Mo Purify
Outside WR - Stanley Morgan Jr
Slot - JD Spielman
TE - Cethan Carter

Outside WR - Brandon Reilly (need someone to take the top off the defense with what I would do offensively)
Outside WR - Quincy Enunwa or Nate Swift
Slot - Jordan Westerkamp (you could talk me into DPE here)
TE - Kyler Reed

Wandale Robinson will overtake Spielman in a couple years on this list for me.

Johnny Mitchell would be in my TE list!

Look I have no idea if he is returning, but JD is a great receiver; discussing anything to the contrary is folly.

What deserves focus is an answer to the question (if he does not return): why he would leave now? My fear is he knows the line, he knows the qb, he knows the backs, he knows the receivers, he knows the scheme; is this a statement about the future of this team from a very sophisticated football family? If so, it is not a good for DONU............... Why now???? :(

Nebraska was never known as receiver U. If you want to come up with a list of great Nebraska receivers there are only two names that belong on the list; Johnny Rodgers and Irving Fryar. Those two could have played for any team, under any offensive system, and they would have been superstars. All the other Nebraska receivers, including Spielman, are just a bunch of guys.

Nebraska was never known as receiver U. If you want to come up with a list of great Nebraska receivers there are only two names that belong on the list; Johnny Rodgers and Irving Fryar. Those two could have played for any team, under any offensive system, and they would have been superstars. All the other Nebraska receivers, including Spielman, are just a bunch of guys.
That was the point I was making. Just like these other posters pointed out that the NFL really doesn’t matter, either do all time stats. Lots of kids never played as freshmen, had less games in a season, and ran different offenses. I believe using the word overrated caused the issues. I don’t think Abdullah is a top three back in school history but he holds the record. I don’t believe T Martinez is in the top five QBs of all time but he holds the record. Spielman is really good but there are better slot receivers out there.

Last edited:

My summary

1. JD aint coming back
2. JD was very good to great for us.
3. Losing him is a bigger loss than the naysayers can imagine; especially if Manning is slow to acclimate.
4. With that said...JD, at best is a day 3 draft pick...possibly UFA.
I really hope JD does not read some of the immature unprofessional drivel on this page of useless prognostication, and probably mostly not insider information, which only hurts kids we care about. His career here was fantastic.
I hope JD and family knows we appreciate his lifetime of work and bruises. I hope this time off helps all of us be kind to these kids. Throw the bones.GBR

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back