• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

JD Speilman Is Transfering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Since this thing is all over the place...

We really have had some pretty decent receivers over the years. Some were undersized, many didn't get a lot of opportunities, and a lot were very tenacious blockers.

Several names have been mentioned: Purify, Enunwa, Swift, etc. I gotta say that the combination of Morgan and Spielman was as good as any of them. Neither one of them are the fastest receiver ever, or the biggest, or the best blocker, or whatever. But together they formed a lethal combination.

They're also both very tough. I rarely saw them take themselves out of a game, despite some pretty good collisions. I look back on a guy like Kenny Bell. Great guy, one of our better receivers, but he seemed to take himself out of games a lot. Sometimes it looked like he was maybe hit hard, other times it looked like it might have been a conditioning problem. I wonder what the record book would look like if he'd been able to stay on the field more consistently.

Anyway, perhaps Spielman will eventually be remembered like Jammal Lord. Underappreciated while he played, but in hindsight we'll realize his impact.

Still holding on to the hope that he'll come back and finish this thing right.

Last edited:

64th, 54th, 80th.

That's Nebraska's national rank in scoring offense the past three seasons (2019, 2018, 2017).

102nd.

That's Nebraska's FBS rank for combined winning percentage over the past three seasons (2017-2019).

I tend to think that's a large part of why some perceive Spielman as less than others. Because our offense has sucked and the team has been a disaster. And by chance, Spielman was a part of all three seasons. Can anyone else of significance say that? Probably not. Yet, he's been the most consistently good Husker over that period of crap teams. Even pick the Huskers that were part of two of the three, and Spielman was still the most consistently good. It's a challenge to heap praise on a player when the team generally sucks. I get that. But at the same time, the fact that Spielman has consistently been that good on garbage teams should speak volumes in his favor.

64th, 54th, 80th.

That's Nebraska's national rank in scoring offense the past three seasons (2019, 2018, 2017).

102nd.

That's Nebraska's FBS rank for combined winning percentage over the past three seasons (2017-2019).

I tend to think that's a large part of why some perceive Spielman as less than others. Because our offense has sucked and the team has been a disaster. And by chance, Spielman was a part of all three seasons. Can anyone else of significance say that? Probably not. Yet, he's been the most consistently good Husker over that period of crap teams. Even pick the Huskers that were part of two of the three, and Spielman was still the most consistently good. It's a challenge to heap praise on a player when the team generally sucks. I get that. But at the same time, the fact that Spielman has consistently been that good on garbage teams should speak volumes in his favor.
Good post. The numbers make me wanna puke, but good post.

Anyway, perhaps Spielman will eventually be remembered like Jammal Lord. Underappreciated while he played, but in hindsight we'll realize his impact.

Lord was a one man wrecking crew... unfortunately it was actually just one man lol. Spielman will have his place in Husker lore for awhile. If Frost can get the offense humming like we would all hope he can hopefully we have receivers becoming the next “best receiver” every few years or so.

You are trying so hard it's adorable. It's like the first grader that keeps telling the teacher that 2 + 2 is 5, they are trying so hard but you can't just let them keep going on like that. Their classmates will certainly ridicule them worse than you would if you didn't correct them. Sometimes you have to keep telling them they're wrong until they understand. Feel free to go back and pull the quotes if you need:

1 - Guy calls JD overrated
2 - The quote you pull from me is me saying there's no way you can believe that in reference to him being overrated
3 - Guy says "i honestly believe that, he's good not great" in response to me telling him he can't really think JD is overrated
4 - I respond with the freshman all american and all conference accolades. Then respond with draft stock not mattering at all for someone and how good, great, or bad they were in college.

All of my posts are in regard to if JD Spielman is "overrated by Huskier fans." It's not difficult man. Let me know if I need to get a coloring book out for you to follow, because you are Joe Namath struggggggling here.

Cool, i'll accept that you include things in your responses which are not on topic and may be some other random metric which may or may be relevant because you are using your own definitions. You bring in Devine to defend how fans should think of JD's status as a Husker, you claim some sort of equality between an all-american future all pro NFL WR to JD's honorable mention all-conference accolades and then claim to always be on point. I can now read your future posts with this insight, so i shouldn't be as confused.

64th, 54th, 80th.

102nd.

True. But he’s so good and sad at same time we only have 13 wins in those 3 years. Only if I still drank.

Keep in mind that just because a player has issues with certain coaching philosophies doesn't make either the staff or kid wrong. This part is just speculation but it might be a case where the head coach isn't chasing him down like we did with Eric Crouch. Again that is only speculation.
I agree. You can have two good guys that just do not get along in any relationship. I have had many friends over the years that just did not like each other. So if I was hanging with one I did not hang with the other. Did not mean either of them were bad guys or had done something wrong.

64th, 54th, 80th.

102nd.

There you go again, trying to be logical and spreading facts...

I don't understand why so many people assume Spielman isn't coming back. If he had decided definitively not to come back, wouldn't he have said so, especially if he plans to play elsewhere? What advantage is there to waiting to let the world know if the decision has been made?

Also, I don't understand why so many people in this thread are questioning his game. He has been one of the greatest Husker receivers ever. What we need are some big bodied receivers to complement what Spielman (and Wandale) give us. Looking at our receiver room, I think we may have that this year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back