• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

JD Speilman Is Transfering

Status
Not open for further replies.
The same people who are saying JD isn’t good or we won’t miss him, are the same people saying we weren’t going to miss Stanley when he left because he wasn’t that good. Boy were they wrong....
Bingo

The same people who are saying JD isn’t good or we won’t miss him, are the same people saying we weren’t going to miss Stanley when he left because he wasn’t that good. Boy were they wrong....

I guess I never had that thought. I thought they would miss Morgan. I was hoping the slack would be taken up by redistributing some of the catches. I was expecting a big increase in TE receptions. I thought we would see the TE catching like 60 balls instead of 30+. I wasn't expecting Warner to be hurt for 75% of the year. I think he had 17 receptions in 2018. I was expecting him to double that. I hoped another freshman not named Robinson would come through and catch around 20 balls. I thought Noa would be better than he was. Plus throwing in JD's production.

I was expecting some guys to step up better and they just didn't, but I thought Morgan was a bigger loss than Ozigbo going into the season.

Last edited:
If you have a problem with my post this might not be the place for you LOL. What exactly did I say that was insulting or would hurt JD's feelings? I've actually repeatedly said that he has been excellent for us from the very beginning.
Absolutely nothing. You are awesome. My kids this age are a different breed than we were.
I just think after watching old games some of the posters saying he was not good are just homers, shaming him for rejecting them. Lots of people have acted that way about recruiting over the past since huskerpedia days. Nebraska, its not for everyone rt? Nowhere is. If he needs to be at home then great. These are kids making their way. But if he is on the edge and not liking what a bunch of ungreatful poster fans say it might Golden Gopher him, I don't know and neither do any. I love this site and the fantastic fanatics on it. Knuckleheads and professionals all. Thanks Max. Throw the Bones.
COME BACK JD, unless you don't want to then thanks for the memories. As a near 30 year sports doc and counselor to kids I care more about the kid than the helmet. GBR.

I guess I never had that thought. I thought they would miss Morgan. I was hoping the slack would be taken up by redistributing some of the catches. I was expecting a big increase in TE receptions. I thought we would see the TE catching like 60 balls instead of 30+. I wasn't expecting Warner to be hurt for 75% of the year. I think he had 17 receptions in 2018. I was expecting him to double that. I hoped another freshman not named Robinson would come through and catch around 20 balls. I thought Noa would be better than he was. Plus throwing in JD's production.

I was expecting some guys to step up better and they just didn't, but I thought Morgan was a bigger loss than Ozigbo going into the season.
IMO (and, as I have said I don't really know anything) the lack of TE receptions is all on AM, as he is more content to wing it down field (usually over a WR's head) and our WR's route running left something to be desired at times (agreed, Warners injury really set us back as he is a real good route runner.). This is why I am big on LM, as he seems to look through his progressions a bit more, IMO. Plus he is quicker than AM (AM seemed to gain a lot of weight from FR to Soph year, and it slowed him down, even before the injuries set in) and can scramble better and dump off the ball to open TE's/WR's/ RB's etc.

I am finally drinking some koolaid now, (though ANYONE who has read a post of mine knows I think 2021 will be the true 1st year of seeing us "back" to an extent we want to be, at least as it pertains to winning 8 or more games consistently and going for the West Division title every year and an occasional B1G Championship) as I am thinking we will have some real talented, albeit YOUNG, WR's on the field and some experienced TE's. Plus AM is a year older (and wiser?) plus there is no "4 game restriction" on Luke. RB's are also young (behind Mills) but fast/shifty. Plus, IMO, the BIGGEST factor: All our O-Linemen are back and, even with that, there will be a few new starters as the very talented youngsters, who "4 game redshirted" last year will be truly ready to contribute a bunch more.

Again, I am pre-facing this with the statement that I really don't know anything, I am just speculating.:Biggrin:

IMO (and, as I have said I don't really know anything) the lack of TE receptions is all on AM, as he is more content to wing it down field (usually over a WR's head) and our WR's route running left something to be desired at times (agreed, Warners injury really set us back as he is a real good route runner.). This is why I am big on LM, as he seems to look through his progressions a bit more, IMO. Plus he is quicker than AM (AM seemed to gain a lot of weight from FR to Soph year, and it slowed him down, even before the injuries set in) and can scramble better and dump off the ball to open TE's/WR's/ RB's etc.

I am finally drinking some koolaid now, (though ANYONE who has read a post of mine knows I think 2021 will be the true 1st year of seeing us "back" to an extent we want to be, at least as it pertains to winning 8 or more games consistently and going for the West Division title every year and an occasional B1G Championship) as I am thinking we will have some real talented, albeit YOUNG, WR's on the field and some experienced TE's. Plus AM is a year older (and wiser?) plus there is no "4 game restriction" on Luke. RB's are also young (behind Mills) but fast/shifty. Plus, IMO, the BIGGEST factor: All our O-Linemen are back and, even with that, there will be a few new starters as the very talented youngsters, who "4 game redshirted" last year will be truly ready to contribute a bunch more.

Again, I am pre-facing this with the statement that I really don't know anything, I am just speculating.:Biggrin:

Yes and no the the lack of TE production is on the QB. The TE is always an option on a pass play, but he is rarely the primary. That goes to play design. I would like to see a few more plays where the TE is the primary.

There is way too little data on McCaffery to say he does anything way better than AM in the passing game. I like him though. He is too athletic to sit on the bench as a back up QB. He needs to see the field. They need to have a package or 3 for him. I hope to see him in the game for 10-15 snaps a game and to touch the ball 5-6 times a game.

Last edited:
Which would be interesting, given how much latitude was given to get, say ... Mo Washington back. Who had produced far less for the team.

Good point.

Is this an overreach on a 'Teaching Moment' for the staff or again are we just not privy to the entire set of circumstances?

I'd heard concussions, health issues, etc. etc. and I assume there may be other things on his plate or in his life we don't know anything about. We may never know, but I'd be really happy if he is healthy, happy and runs out onto Tom Osborne field this fall in Scarlet and Cream.

Okay, that was easy. This thread is fascinating. The comment "overrated" is frustrating. I guess if somebody was projecting him to be 1st team All American leading the NCAA in Receptions, Yards, Touchdowns, etc... then maybe he is overrated. If overrated means he is not that good and won't matter then that is simply a ridiculous, butt hurt, overzealous fan spewing. The kid is good, maybe great. Certainly, he has proven to be tough. We will miss him if he doesn't return and I'd bet he would be a starter on virtually every other D1 team in the NCAA.
I don't like that the kid left the team for whatever reason, but we have no way of knowing what is going on. Doesn't make him a bad kid. By all accounts, he seems to be a good kid. At the end of the day, will others step up and make him a distant memory? Hope so, but the only way he is not missed is if 1 or 2 guys step up in a big way and we throttle people with the pass. Even then, we will all wonder how good it could have been if JD was here.

I think the new, we have very little to discuss, thread should get back to the Strength and Conditioning. I'd really like to know more about what we do that causes *** some angst. I can't really have an opinion because my only frame of reference seems to be 1/2 - 2/3rd squats with heavy weight (videos). Not sure that really represents what Duval and staff do. So, I tend to keep my mouth shut since I have no way of forming an educated opinion.

Having said that, I suspect (don't know) that *** is a former player and probably censors his comments....which is respectable and most likely what the majority of people would do if in a similar situation. Doesn't mean I won't read / comment if he is willing to expand on that topic! lol.

I'll wait and see if *** responds on a S&C thread. I'll check back later after finishing my heavy 1/2 squats on the mystery squat machine and closing with a quick prayer that our "overrated" receiver decides to return. In reality, I'll do neither. I'll just check back in.

Lurker no more.

Okay, that was easy. This thread is fascinating. The comment "overrated" is frustrating. I guess if somebody was projecting him to be 1st team All American leading the NCAA in Receptions, Yards, Touchdowns, etc... then maybe he is overrated. If overrated means he is not that good and won't matter then that is simply a ridiculous, butt hurt, overzealous fan spewing. The kid is good, maybe great. Certainly, he has proven to be tough. We will miss him if he doesn't return and I'd bet he would be a starter on virtually every other D1 team in the NCAA.
I don't like that the kid left the team for whatever reason, but we have no way of knowing what is going on. Doesn't make him a bad kid. By all accounts, he seems to be a good kid. At the end of the day, will others step up and make him a distant memory? Hope so, but the only way he is not missed is if 1 or 2 guys step up in a big way and we throttle people with the pass. Even then, we will all wonder how good it could have been if JD was here.

I think the new, we have very little to discuss, thread should get back to the Strength and Conditioning. I'd really like to know more about what we do that causes *** some angst. I can't really have an opinion because my only frame of reference seems to be 1/2 - 2/3rd squats with heavy weight (videos). Not sure that really represents what Duval and staff do. So, I tend to keep my mouth shut since I have no way of forming an educated opinion.

Having said that, I suspect (don't know) that *** is a former player and probably censors his comments....which is respectable and most likely what the majority of people would do if in a similar situation. Doesn't mean I won't read / comment if he is willing to expand on that topic! lol.

I'll wait and see if *** responds on a S&C thread. I'll check back later after finishing my heavy 1/2 squats on the mystery squat machine and closing with a quick prayer that our "overrated" receiver decides to return. In reality, I'll do neither. I'll just check back in.

Lurker no more.
I’m the only one who used the term overrated. I was wrong and have stated as much. Definitely no butt hurt. I don’t care where kids go to school. So if everyone actually reads through this thread, I was wrong saying overrated. I can be wrong sometimes. Just go back and see my take on Larry the Cable guy. It was much worse than my JD take. I like you would love *** to elaborate on strength and conditioning.

Lurker no more.
Is there an S&C thread I don't see?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back