• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Jamie Nance enters transfer portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm 100% fine with Nance & Houston moving on. Wish them the best at the Group of 5 or similar type schools they land at.

We've gone in a different direction at WR, have a new position coach & emphasis since these guys were recruited, and I like the talent we have in place. These guys were getting passed up, and wanted to see the field - tale as old as college football. These announcements really only move the needle in terms of the larger transfer narrative, and whether there's an issue or not, these kinds of moves are going to continue to happen.

I'm 100% fine with Nance & Houston moving on. Wish them the best at the Group of 5 or similar type schools they land at.

We've gone in a different direction at WR, have a new position coach & emphasis since these guys were recruited, and I like the talent we have in place. These guys were getting passed up, and wanted to see the field - tale as old as college football. These announcements really only move the needle in terms of the larger transfer narrative, and whether there's an issue or not, these kinds of moves are going to continue to happen.

Nailed it

Ok, my bad. I thought *** had said 12 from the 18 and 19 class. I probably misread it. Apologies.
I said "about a dozen", I was wrong as there was only 11 (feel like that's close enough):

Andre Hunt - Kicked off
Dominik Watt - Never qualified
Miles Jones - Transferred
Mike Williams - Completed eligibility
Jaron Woodyard - Transferred
Katerian LeGrone - Kicked off
Justin McGriff - Transferred
Demariyon Houston - Transferred
Wan'Dale Robinson - Transferred
Jamie Nance - Transferred
Darien Chase - Transferred

They went 1 for 11 in the first two classes at a really shallow position. It's no wonder we have struggled in 2019 and 2020 at WR.

Last edited:

Will be 5-10 transfers a year that we need to get used to IMO. Can't be too mad when backups are in there. The bigger issue is missing on every single 2018 and 2019 recruit that inked with you. That's going to cause things like we saw in 2020. Hopefully they get that remedied. Don't lose Robinson, McCaffrey, etc., but losing Green and guys like him are actually needed.

It does worry me that we are just doing a shift in offense for year 4. We went from narratives like "Wan'Dale Robinson is exactly the missing piece Frost needs to run his offense" to "it's ok Robinson is transferring because we are going bigger at WR now." That worries me. I do like how that synergizes with what we are doing in the weight room now though.

Last edited:

To me, without context of our experience, where we started, and numbers for the whole room etc, including coaching change and covid etc, to draw true conclusions is foolhardy.
I agree, it could be worrisome if it continues, but its more an explanation that has fallen on deaf ears, than it is a panic, the sky i falling.

Also, is it putting the cart in front of the horse or putting the horse behind the cart with Wandale?
Would he have stayed had we a better wr room?
Or would he have left because of covid?
Or, would he have stayed if our RB room was deep and talented?

Too many ifs, woulda, couldas here, and again, all the thing above have had impacts, but again, its too early to lay at the feet of the coaches for all the considerations above alone, besides sometimes kids just want change, or to play, two more reasons.

We knew the vetting was horrible for the first class, and seeing 2 guys kicked off ,another not qualifying is just more contextual matter to consider before we go all sky is falling

Who are you, and what have you done with ***? :Popcorn:
lol the bolded on its own is very "un-me". I just think us shifting to bigger and more physical on offense works better with piling on weight and trying to get stronger as opposed to doing that and trying to be athletic and fast. That basically goes against physics. I still am not really on board but it at least makes sense to me now.

I worry a bit about us having more offensive players in the portal the past three years than the two teams have total that won the West division. It's tough for me to just get on board with "well these guys all leaving is good because we are changing things" in year 4. Coming full circle, it may just end up working better though. We gotta try something different, just worries me because this isn't anything close to what Frost has done at Oregon or UCF if we are truly shifting from needing guys like Wan'Dale Robinson.

Last edited:
Will be 5-10 transfers a year that we need to get used to IMO. Can't be too mad when backups are in there. The bigger issue is missing on every single 2018 and 2019 recruit that inked with you. That's going to cause things like we saw in 2020. Hopefully they get that remedied. Don't lose Robinson, McCaffrey, etc., but losing Green and guys like him are actually needed.

It does worry me that we are just doing a shift in offense for year 4. We went from narratives like "Wan'Dale Robinson is exactly the missing piece Frost needs to run his offense" to "it's ok Robinson is transferring because we are going bigger at WR now." That worries me. I do like how that synergizes with what we are doing in the weight room now though.

Is it a huge shift or just a tweak in the offense? I honestly don't know, although based on last year it does seem Lubick's influence was on the offense as the tight ends FINALLY started getting used more, and the short passing game was much more successful.

Is it a huge shift or just a tweak in the offense? I honestly don't know, although based on last year it does seem Lubick's influence was on the offense as the tight ends FINALLY started getting used more, and the short passing game was much more successful.
That's a good question, I would lean towards tweak. The example I gave was that when we had Wan'Dale and JD we were saying "the defense has to make a decision on if they want to cover those guys with DBs so we can just run on them, or if they try to stop our run they try to cover them with LBs and we will throw." We are now just doing the opposite with Toure instead of Robinson.

To your point, Lubick just makes the slot or TE one of the first reads instead of the last one a bit more, and it can help our blocking if we have bigger guys just crashing down to seal. Do you remember the time I was arguing with people about Frost and the Purdue game, where they were mad Wan'Dale was the one blocking? It's how the offense was designed. That DC was playing chess while we were playing checkers. He knew if they took away run, Wan'Dale was blocking for the bubble screen, and his safety could just run through them. That becomes less of an issue now. However, ill be curious to see what DCs do now that we have guys that aren't able to get open as easy in the slot compared to a Wan'Dale. Also takes away your jet sweep danger a bit with Toure as opposed to Robinson, you can always do it with guys like Betts though (as we did last year).

I said "about a dozen", I was wrong as there was only 11 (feel like that's close enough):

Andre Hunt - Kicked off

They went 1 for 11 in the first two classes at a really shallow position. It's no wonder we have struggled in 2019 and 2020 at WR.
They also replaced the guy directly responsible for those recruiting misses. I actually agree that they did a poor job recruiting wide receivers but Frost made the changes. I guess I’m asking what else could they do to make people happy?

That's a good question, I would lean towards tweak. The example I gave was that when we had Wan'Dale and JD we were saying "the defense has to make a decision on if they want to cover those guys with DBs so we can just run on them, or if they try to stop our run they try to cover them with LBs and we will throw." We are now just doing the opposite with Toure instead of Robinson.

To your point, Lubick just makes the slot or TE one of the first reads instead of the last one a bit more, and it can help our blocking if we have bigger guys just crashing down to seal. Do you remember the time I was arguing with people about Frost and the Purdue game, where they were mad Wan'Dale was the one blocking? It's how the offense was designed. That DC was playing chess while we were playing checkers. He knew if they took away run, Wan'Dale was blocking for the bubble screen, and his safety could just run through them. That becomes less of an issue now. However, ill be curious to see what DCs do now that we have guys that aren't able to get open as easy in the slot compared to a Wan'Dale. Also takes away your jet sweep danger a bit with Toure as opposed to Robinson, you can always do it with guys like Betts though (as we did last year).
I'll go with this tweak. Not gonna change a while offense threat isn't bad as designed. Time for Brown , Nixon, and Johnson to shine in the slot, more speed but less shifty then last year. Hopefully the bigger guys will block, have a Ron Brown clinic

lol the bolded on its own is very "un-me". I just think us shifting to bigger and more physical on offense works better with piling on weight and trying to get stronger as opposed to doing that and trying to be athletic and fast. That basically goes against physics. I still am not really on board but it at least makes sense to me now.

I worry a bit about us having more offensive players in the portal the past three years than the two teams have total that won the West division. It's tough for me to just get on board with "well these guys all leaving is good because we are changing things" in year 4. Coming full circle, it may just end up working better though. We gotta try something different, just worries me because this isn't anything close to what Frost has done at Oregon or UCF if we are truly shifting from needing guys like Wan'Dale Robinson.
On a more serious note, I'm not wild about the transfer rate of the 2 year series of WR classes, but some transfers are going to happen, and are even healthy for the program (whether from a culture, system fit, or freeing up space for other contributors perspective). Nance/Houston are pretty much textbook situations where a transfer would be expected from most schools.

I just think it's lazy, lacking perspective, and axe-grinding to try and shove every situation into a narrative (not specifically targeting you with this comment, just the direction these threads revert to in general). On par with the political analysis of folks who don't like a given president, and blame every iota of any bad thing that happens in the country to that person specifically.

Doesn't mean there was never an issue, but Frost has already clearly identified something, made a coaching change, and has a good amount of talent in the WR room that has passed these guys up on the depth chart. A number of guys that (in limited practice/spring game appearances) pass the eye test more than these guys did when they arrived. All the context of the situation seems pretty clearly to me to point to this not being something to attribute to our WR room being in trouble.

Andre Hunt - Kicked off

Weren't some of those guys recruited as "ATH" rather than strictly as WRs? Robinson was listed on HM as ATH/RB, for example.

I'm not suggesting we've been successful in this area, just pointing out that it might not be QUITE as ugly as presented. It's also been an ongoing problem across 3 staffs now, so it's not necessarily exclusive to Frost. But, he's the head coach now, so it's up to him to fix it. I am hopeful that things are looking up.

Haven't gone through all of the posts to see if this has been referenced, but in addition to going a different direction with they type of WR's, the majority of this generation of players who are 3rd string RS Freshmen do not want to wait a couple of years to move up in the depth chart. Matt Sichterman is now my favorite player to root for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back