• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Impact of early signing day

My point is the opinion of those people, who have probably seen less than half the 5-7 teams play 2 games, much less their entire season is completely meaningless and i would put no value in that. So, to answer your question i would not be happy/satisfied or unhappy/unsatisfied if they made that meaningless determination.

My points are that it appears many on this board think the current staff (especially HCSF) have done a poor job and are wondering if they can be successful at NU. This group seems to expect instant gratification without consideration of the many issues that NU had when the staff was hired. As an example, since NU was picked to win the B1G west this year by many "experts" (who really only see a practice or 2 at most and little behind the scenes reality) and fans (who see even less) they have decided that a coach making $5 million a year has underachieved. I would think those looking at the big picture in totality might understand things aren't as simple as a video game reset world might make it appear.

Sometimes, we just have to wait for the rewards.
I wouldn't disagree with anything you said. I also wouldn't agree with everything you said. We are all evaluating what it means to be 5-7 this year. Last year at this time we were evaluating what it meant to be 4-8. The year HCSF was brought in we were evaluating what it meant to finish 4-8 and how a new coach can help.

There is a strawman argument on HM forum that there is some massive push by fans to get people fired and I just don't see that. There are also people saying that there will be no change of coaching staff - end of discussion. That's silly as well. All that banter may be fun for us fanatics but it is as meaningless as having the AP/Coaches vote on who their most favorite 5-7 team is this year. Who knows what opportunities the coaching staff is presented over the next month. Some may leave for greener pastures. Did they leave because they were asked to leave? Who knows?

I wouldn't disagree with anything you said. I also wouldn't agree with everything you said. We are all evaluating what it means to be 5-7 this year. Last year at this time we were evaluating what it meant to be 4-8. The year HCSF was brought in we were evaluating what it meant to finish 4-8 and how a new coach can help.

There is a strawman argument on HM forum that there is some massive push by fans to get people fired and I just don't see that. There are also people saying that there will be no change of coaching staff - end of discussion. That's silly as well. All that banter may be fun for us fanatics but it is as meaningless as having the AP/Coaches vote on who their most favorite 5-7 team is this year. Who knows what opportunities the coaching staff is presented over the next month. Some may leave for greener pastures. Did they leave because they were asked to leave? Who knows?

Well said.....i was going to address this to HIO's comment before, but i'll put it here.

With what is seen as a much tougher schedule next year (alot can happen in a year...maybe this year's schedule wasn't as easy as perceived earlier) will 5-7 or 6-6 be a sign of improvement?

With what is seen as a much tougher schedule next year (alot can happen in a year...maybe this year's schedule wasn't as easy as perceived earlier) will 5-7 or 6-6 be a sign of improvement?
I think anything less than a bowl game will not be satisfactory. People are generally more patient, when they see improvement. If Nebraska has another losing season next year, it will not be a good sign. It’s bad enough with 2 in a row (which not one person expected), much less 3 straight.

Well said.....i was going to address this to HIO's comment before, but i'll put it here.

I defer to Husker in Oklahoma. GBR

There were plenty of fans and media types that were drinking the Kool Aide and predicting great things from Nebraska in year two. This was done because they saw a team that apparently had bought in and was improving greatly after a terrible start to the Scott Frost era. The improvement was there for even the biggest pessimist. You will not get those same vibes going into this season. You can argue all you want about this team improving but overall I did not see it.

How bad was Baylor when Matt Rhule took over? Half the damn team left. 1-11, 6-6, 11-1. How about Kansas State and a roster full of 2*’s? This is just a couple of examples of many around the country. That’s tangible improvement. I guess if you want to look hard enough you could find some improvement, somewhere. The schedule was also prolly half as hard as year one. This season was utter garbage, truth be told. You can’t sugar coat crap.
Hence why year three is a pivotal point for frost and why it was a pivotal point for Riley. Now frost goes less than five hundred he won’t get fired like Riley did but it will start to get hard. The only way he can get through year four with a losing season is make changes with assistance. He hangs onto all the assistances he will get fired year four if he has another losing season.

Hence why year three is a pivotal point for frost and why it was a pivotal point for Riley. Now frost goes less than five hundred he won’t get fired like Riley did but it will start to get hard. The only way he can get through year four with a losing season is make changes with assistance. He hangs onto all the assistances he will get fired year four if he has another losing season.

Any suggestions on which assistances he should....

Nevermind.

So who do you want to bring in to replace him?

Very interested to hear this take.
Pal we made the wrong hire again plain and simple. The team regressed this year and with next years schedule another losing season will follow.

Last edited:
Pal we made the wrong hire again plain and simple. The team regressed this year and with next years schedule another losing season will follow. Vegas line for next year is 5 wins over/under already they too realize Scotty is not a power 5 coach. He should apply for the Memphis opening where he can take comfort in playing little boy football again

That's not an answer.

I understand you don't like Frost and think he's a bad hire. Tell me who you're going to replace him with, Pal.

Lots of good reasons we didn't get 10 wins this year, but not enough to excuse missing a bowl game again. Better playcalling and clock management would have had us
That's not an answer.

I understand you don't like Frost and think he's a bad hire. Tell me who you're going to replace him with, Pal.
Willie Taggert would be an upgrade,I'd even take Bill Snyder. Tell me Scotty is not totally lost when you witnessed his coaching decisions this year pal?

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back