• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Impact of early signing day

huskrthill

Leading horses to water since 2009
10 Year Member
Scott Frost was named Nebraska's head coach on December 2, 2017. Less than 3 weeks later, college football had its first early signing period. Frost and Nebraska made a decision to allow him to coach Central Florida in their bowl game in an attempt to cap off a perfect season.

We've had several players from that first class leave the program or fail to contribute in a meaningful way (so far). Did this first early signing period negatively impact the team more than what we expected? More than the previous February-only signing period would have? Should we take that into account when evaluating Frost's first two seasons?

I think he gets a mulligan on that for sure. You can’t make chickens out of chicken feathers.

But that doesn’t explain away 4 dozen lateral passes with negative total yards, missing chip shot field goals, allowing kickoff return TDs, and casually running out of bounds when you’re trying to run out the clock.

Not to mention slighting the talent on your current roster in front of the media every week.

We were out-talented by only a very few teams this year, regardless of the early signing period. I am very disappointed in SF for bagging on his roster ala Callahan. I think that’s low rent.

That’s my $.02.

Last edited:
I think he gets a mulligan on that for sure. You can’t make chickens out of chicken feathers.

But that doesn’t explain away 4 dozen lateral passes with negative total yards, missing chip shot field goals, allowing kickoff return TDs, and casually running out of bounds when you’re trying to run out the clock.

Not to mention slighting the talent on your current roster in front of the media every week.

We were out-talented by only a very few teams this year, regardless of the early signing period. I am very disappointed in SF for bagging on his roster ala Callahan. I think that’s low rent.

That’s my $.02.
I would agree WestTexas. Just for the sake of being positive I would note that the downturn in penalties and complete half meltdowns would suggest that there is some coaching going on in Lincoln. Much would be explained in my way of thinking if I were told that HCSF came in to Lincoln and nailed a sign up on the locker room wall that said this is the way we are going to do it and you either get on board or you get gone. It's certainly not that simple in a $400M+ business but that kind of attitude would help me understand most of HCSF's misfires in thought, word and deed.

That’s my $.02.
I see you are back on your meds. Good choice!

We've had several players from that first class leave the program or fail to contribute in a meaningful way (so far). Did this first early signing period negatively impact the team more than what we expected? More than the previous February-only signing period would have? Should we take that into account when evaluating Frost's first two seasons?
Well, he recruited the guys whom left, didn’t he? I don’t know how much difference 2 months would make. Maybe some better, more clear evaluations. Who knows. I can’t make any more excuses for him now. He’s had two years and his team still looks like a Riley coached team on the field. I would have never thought, and I’m pretty sure you’d agree with that. At some point, SF had to be accountable for the product on the field. It’s his team now. I’m fairly certain, you, me, and most everyone else on this board did NOT expect back to back losing seasons, with little to no improvement in year 2. Yes, he prolly needs more time, but time is often extended when there is tangible evidence of improvement on the field. We haven’t seen that, yet.

Well, he recruited the guys whom left, didn’t he? I don’t know how much difference 2 months would make. Maybe some better, more clear evaluations. Who knows. I can’t make any more excuses for him now. He’s had two years and his team still looks like a Riley coached team on the field. I would have never thought, and I’m pretty sure you’d agree with that. At some point, SF had to be accountable for the product on the field. It’s his team now. I’m fairly certain, you, me, and most everyone else on this board did NOT expect back to back losing seasons, with little to no improvement in year 2. Yes, he prolly needs more time, but time is often extended when there is tangible evidence of improvement on the field. We haven’t seen that, yet.

I would say that there was tangible improvement on the field. It may have been substantially less than many (most?) would have expected, but the facts have been written and show improvement in many areas. (and i'm not talking W-L columns) I think recency bias clouds judgement as to how bad MR teams were....this team is better than those teams...just not as much better as we hoped.

I would say that there was tangible improvement on the field. It may have been substantially less than many (most?) would have expected, but the facts have been written and show improvement in many areas. (and i'm not talking W-L columns) I think recency bias clouds judgement as to how bad MR teams were....this team is better than those teams...just not as much better as we hoped.
How bad was Baylor when Matt Rhule took over? Half the damn team left. 1-11, 6-6, 11-1. How about Kansas State and a roster full of 2*’s? This is just a couple of examples of many around the country. That’s tangible improvement. I guess if you want to look hard enough you could find some improvement, somewhere. The schedule was also prolly half as hard as year one. This season was utter garbage, truth be told. You can’t sugar coat crap.

How bad was Baylor when Matt Rhule took over? Half the damn team left. 1-11, 6-6, 11-1. How about Kansas State and a roster full of 2*’s? This is just a couple of examples of many around the country. That’s tangible improvement. I guess if you want to look hard enough you could find some improvement, somewhere. The schedule was also prolly half as hard as year one. This season was utter garbage, truth be told. You can’t sugar coat crap.

I think there have been plenty of examples of improvement...again, not as much as most hoped. Where will Baylor be in 3 years is the question. I'm willing to be patient and have sustainable success rather than cut corners for quick gratification and then end up bouncing back and forth wildly. KSU finished 8-4. NU was a few plays from the same record. As much as i hate to type it, Baylor and KSU are also not doing it in the B1G. The Big 12 is not a good conference.

I think there have been plenty of examples of improvement...again, not as much as most hoped. Where will Baylor be in 3 years is the question. I'm willing to be patient and have sustainable success rather than cut corners for quick gratification and then end up bouncing back and forth wildly. KSU finished 8-4. NU was a few plays from the same record. As much as i hate to type it, Baylor and KSU are also not doing it in the B1G. The Big 12 is not a good conference.
From your comments here and elsewhere I’m struggling to understand exactly where you stand. Would you be satisfied if the AP and Coaches identified Nebraska as the best looking 5-7 team in the country?

From 30,000 feet, here is what I think is better/worse over the Riley years:

Kicking game: significantly worse
Defensive line: somewhat better
Offensive line: same
Game management: about the same - poor
QB play: worse than the TA years, about the same as Tanner Lee. Below average
DB play: somewhat better
Linebacker play: somewhat worse
Wide receivers: somewhat worse
Punting: same
Running attack: significantly better

So let's same somewhat better is worth a 1, somewhat worse is worth a -1, same is a 0, significantly better is worth a 2.

I come up with an overall even the Riley years. We won 5 games because we had a cream puff schedule. Northern Wherever and Southern Whoever really don't count.

Last edited:
There are some teams in the Big 12 that will kick your ass also. No one is saying cut corners, but the improvement in which you speak, a normal person would need to be trained in the profession to see. It wasn’t very evident on the field, except for certain, mostly individual improvement. Team Improvement I’d almost argue regressed. All that said, I’m still on board with Frost. However, eyebrows have been raised because no one, few, would have predicted two straight losing seasons.

There are some teams in the Big 12 that will kick your ass also. No one is saying cut corners, but the improvement in which you speak, a normal person would need to be trained in the profession to see. It wasn’t very evident on the field, except for certain, mostly individual improvement. Team Improvement I’d almost argue regressed. All that said, I’m still on board with Frost. However, eyebrows have been raised because no one, few, would have predicted two straight losing seasons.

i hope we get to see some Big 10/12 matchups during bowl season. tOSU and OU could be interesting if they both make the CFP. I would really like to see Oklahoma State take on Iowa, Wisky, or even Penn State. Could be interesting.

I sure wish we were still in the Big 12. Games were warm, you could still wear shirt sleeves through October, and Jerry World was pretty cool.

Last edited:

Probably needs more time?

That’s my $.02.
I have no problem with Frosty calling out the lack of talent and effort publicly. Said that to one of the coaches a couple days ago and he agreed. As I said before, it is a culture building process. Be a part of it or get out of the way.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back