• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked How Important was Carl?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This will be viewed as blastphemy, but this team hasn't played championship caliber football since Shawn Watson left. I feel like the staff hasn't been as cohesive since he left. Could be a coincidence but we've been trending down since his departure. Our offensive numbers have improved, but as a program wev'e gone backwards. Not saying it has anything to do with his x and o offensive philosophy...but he must have been a good leader that the team believed in.

Coincidence, nothing more.

Love your sig line Impaler, those are both my teams as well... :)

:thumbsup: I think Manning and the Broncos are gonna make a big second half run. Probably won't be really good until next year though. Gotta give Manning and the offense time to gel. Ok, enought thread jacking.

But look at what the prior coaches did with that talent. That's why I won't discredit Bo with those defenses. He's fair game in searching for, and developing his own talent though.

Look...the team quit in 2007 as did the coaches who were trying to get fired. If you throw that year out, and any reasonable person would, the defensive numbers...with lesser players than what Bo inherited, did not really look that bad. Bo got a super talented young group, did little with them in 2008 and when they matured they were great. After he lost the talent, well...his numbers become much more Cozgrovesque:

Total defense:
2005 26th, 332 YPG
2006 56th, 332 YPG
2008 55th, 350 YPG
2009 7th, 272 YPG
2010 11th, 307 YPG
2011 37th, 351 YPG
2012* 49th, 367 YPG

Scoring Defense:
2005 25th, 21.0 PPG
2006 24th, 18.3 PPG
2008 80th, 28.5 PPG
2009 1st, 10.4 PPG
2010 9th, 17.4 PPG
2011 42nd, 23.4 PPG
2012* 72rd, 27.7 PPG

Remember, those players I pointed to in the previous posts were just freshmen and a few sophomores when Coz had them--not big contributers at that time.

Last edited:

This will be viewed as blastphemy, but this team hasn't played championship caliber football since Shawn Watson left. I feel like the staff hasn't been as cohesive since he left. Could be a coincidence but we've been trending down since his departure. Our offensive numbers have improved, but as a program wev'e gone backwards. Not saying it has anything to do with his x and o offensive philosophy...but he must have been a good leader that the team believed in.

This better be sarcasm...

I liked Carl, but Carl was not better. They both have good enthusiasm, and I sense the players like them both. I do think camera men breathed a sigh of relief when JP took over.

Skermich,
thank you for being a member of HuskerMax.
Personally I don't believe the defense is any better or worse with, or without, Carl on the staff.
Bo designs the defense. Bo makes the calls. The DC is, in effect, a glorified position coach.

WE ARE NOT PINING FOR THE DAYS OF THE GLORIOUS SHAWN WATSON OFFENSE, ARE WE?

NU's offensive stats vs. UT in 2009 CCG: 5 first downs, 67 yards rushing, 106 yards total.

Puppet comes to mind. Lets face it Bo calls the shots on defense and his coordinator is a position in where Bo teaches someone so they can move on to different teams..

:thumbsup: I think Manning and the Broncos are gonna make a big second half run. Probably won't be really good until next year though. Gotta give Manning and the offense time to gel. Ok, enought thread jacking.[/QUOTE]

Whatever makes you sleep better at night!:wave:

Carl is a better overseer head coach than a position coach. That should answer it.

There will be possibly many that disagree with me, but I don't care. If there's anything I took from Joe Biden tonight, it's that I can state opinions as fact.

Loblolly. Like Romney / Ryan are freak in bastions of truth. Damn, this is funny!

I'm pretty sure you wrote Shawn Watson by accident and meant to write Tom Osborne. I don't remember any 'championships' under Watson of any sort. Your paragraph makes perfect sense with TO in there tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back