• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked How Important was Carl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skermich

Red Shirt
10 Year Member
I don't believe I've seen a thread about this, but I think it's a key ingredient to the discussions about the defense of late. Carl Pelini is not here this year. How important was he to the defensive performance? Seems like early on he was very instrumental, back in the first two or so years of the program under Bo. Was he the mastermind? Was Bo the mastermind and Carl the one who carried it out? This is not meant to be a commentary on Coach Papuchis, but a question about how much we may have lost when Carl left. Maybe that's one of the biggest factors in this year's struggles.

Thank you for having me.

We were slightly better defensively last but not dramatically, but we also had Lavonte, Dennard, and Crick. I think if I remember correctly there were a lot of folks that down played Carl's role when it was announced that he was leaving. Some folks were even openly happy that he was gone.

Personally I think Carl might be missed less for his actual coaching ability and maybe more for the fact that he was someone that would stand up to Bo. Just my opinion.

Carl is a better overseer head coach than a position coach. That should answer it.

There will be possibly many that disagree with me, but I don't care. If there's anything I took from Joe Biden tonight, it's that I can state opinions as fact.

Carl is a better overseer head coach than a position coach. That should answer it.

There will be possibly many that disagree with me, but I don't care. If there's anything I took from Joe Biden tonight, it's that I can state opinions as fact.

Maybe he and Bo should have changed spots!! :stirthepot:

I know he was much better than his little brother at meeting the press. He actually consider a question, then thoughtfully answered it without being a marshmallow. I think he might actually make a good head coach.

I know he was much better than his little brother at meeting the press. He actually consider a question, then thoughtfully answered it without being a marshmallow. I think he might actually make a good head coach.

So as a defensive coordinator, Carl was good at meeting the press? Isn't that "damning with faint praise?" :Biggrin:

I don't know if there is a way to compare Carl and Pap in their role as DC's. Carl had much more experience than Pap - but was landlocked at Ohio before Bo got the NU job. Pap is a newbie to the coordinator role. Both were/are essentially Bo's mouthpieces and Bo has been actively involved in defensive coaching.

As we have beaten to death on this board, Carl was also the benefactor of guys like Suh, David, Gomes, Hagg, and so on. I don't like to bring this up because I hate to be a part of any slighting of our current personnel, but my opinion is that Pap would have done as well or better than Carl with the same kids Carl coached. Just an opinion, though.

Our defense was weak last year as well. Bo is the one calling the shots.

It's the scheme. We don't have the players to run it, but Bo chooses to continue to try and fit a square peg into a round hole.

Is there confirmation in the media (ie, press conference or interview) that Bo is calling the defense? It seems to be conventional wisdom, but I don't recall ever hearing it directly from anyone on the staff.

how important was Marvin....thats the huge key here. IMO. and yes i know that ship has sailed.

It's the scheme. We don't have the players to run it, but Bo chooses to continue to try and fit a square peg into a round hole.

This. Not sure why people think this year is any different than last. And IIRC didn't Carl have MORE input last year than years prior?

Is there confirmation in the media (ie, press conference or interview) that Bo is calling the defense? It seems to be conventional wisdom, but I don't recall ever hearing it directly from anyone on the staff.

I thought I saw Bo with the play chart and holding it over his mouth while calling a play last week. Could be wrong though.

This will be viewed as blastphemy, but this team hasn't played championship caliber football since Shawn Watson left. I feel like the staff hasn't been as cohesive since he left. Could be a coincidence but we've been trending down since his departure. Our offensive numbers have improved, but as a program wev'e gone backwards. Not saying it has anything to do with his x and o offensive philosophy...but he must have been a good leader that the team believed in.

Last edited:

Does anyone really think Bo worked wonders with the 2003 defense, or the 2008 and 2009 defenses, when he had great talent to work with? When I look at the players he had (see below), it doesn't make me think it was the coaching or scheme as much as the talent.

Defensive players that made the NFL:

2003 Roster (no freshmen)
:
Fabian Washington
Josh Bullocks
Dan Bullocks
Ryan Bingham
LeKevin Smith
Trevor Johnson
Titus Adams
Barret Ruud
Demorio Williams

2008 Roster (no freshmen
):
Prince Amukamara*
Eric Hagg*
Pierre Allen*
Zack Potter
Barry Turner*
Ndamukong Suh*
Phillip Dillard*
Larry Asante*

* ALL of these 2008 players returned the following season.

PS- Bo's LSU defensive teams were ranked 3rd in total defense the three years he was there, they were also ranked 3rd the three years BEFORE he was there. As for Carl? No loss at all.

Last edited:
This. Not sure why people think this year is any different than last. And IIRC didn't Carl have MORE input last year than years prior?

I thought I saw Bo with the play chart and holding it over his mouth while calling a play last week. Could be wrong though.

Love your sig line Impaler, those are both my teams as well... :)

Does anyone really think Bo worked wonders with the 2003 defense, or the 2008 and 2009 defenses, when he had great talent to work with? When I look at the players he had (see below), it doesn't make me think it was the coaching or scheme as much as the talent.

Defensive players that made the NFL:

2003 Roster (no freshmen)
:
Fabian Washington
Josh Bullocks
Dan Bullocks
Ryan Bingham
LeKevin Smith
Trevor Johnson
Titus Adams
Barret Ruud
Demorio Williams

2008 Roster (no freshmen
):
Prince Amukamara*
Eric Hagg*
Pierre Allen*
Zack Potter
Barry Turner*
Ndamukong Suh*
Phillip Dillard*
Larry Asante*

* ALL of these 2008 players returned the following season.

PS- Bo's LSU defensive teams were ranked 3rd in total defense the three years he was there, they were also ranked 3rd the three years BEFORE he was there. As for Carl? No loss at all.

But look at what the prior coaches did with that talent. That's why I won't discredit Bo with those defenses. He's fair game in searching for, and developing his own talent though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back