• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

How good are these Huskers?

shaking_head_breaking_bad.gif

RPI 103
SOS 205

Fact! The question is legit. You got owned.

Kendall Rogers: I feel pretty good about where the Huskers are right now. Sure, they had that rough first weekend out in California, but they've played impressive baseball since that point. I know last season was frustrating, but that was just a blip and an aberration for me when you consider that coaching staff. It's back to business in Lincoln.

But I'm sure you know more than everyone else. . Enjoy the Mavs win tonight, see ya in a few weeks.

Played badly tonight…just kinda sucked…

Bound to happen…hot streaks end….That’s baseball…

Hope we play better on Thursday and Friday. GBR!!

Oh and @Husker In Oklahoma

You do realize don’t you that RPI and strength of schedule means absolutely nothing this time of year.

They are built (at this early time of year) on subjectivity, who did good last year, team histories over time…and way too much predicting and “guessing”.

They get better and more accurate as the season progresses but right now they’re mostly just total guesswork.

Probably should not be quoting those two statistics this early in the season.

Played badly tonight…just kinda sucked…

Bound to happen…hot streaks end….That’s baseball…

Hope we play better on Thursday and Friday. GBR!!

Oh and @Husker In Oklahoma

You do realize don’t you that RPI and strength of schedule means absolutely nothing this time of year.

They are built (at this early time of year) on subjectivity, who did good last year, team histories over time…and way too much predicting and “guessing”.

They get better and more accurate as the season progresses but right now they’re mostly just total guesswork.

Probably should not be quoting those two statistics this early in the season.
What about the schedule, is that make believe as well sir? No, it’s not. The numbers are for all to see, but then again, I guess people only see 2hat they want to believe.

Kendall Rogers: I feel pretty good about where the Huskers are right now. Sure, they had that rough first weekend out in California, but they've played impressive baseball since that point. I know last season was frustrating, but that was just a blip and an aberration for me when you consider that coaching staff. It's back to business in Lincoln.

But I'm sure you know more than everyone else. . Enjoy the Mavs win tonight, see ya in a few weeks.
:Facepalm:

What about the schedule, is that make believe as well sir?
How can you judge “strength of schedule” at this point in the year?

It’s just based on “historical” at this point.

And NCAA Div 1 Baseball is notorious for change year to year.

I will grant you that there are powers that do well year in and out (all “southern schools”)…but the rest …some 270 teams….jump around like Mexican jumping beans. (299 teams in Div 1)

Strength of schedule can only be judged towards the end of a season when you truly have results. Otherwise it is a terrible tool.

I guess my point is…you asked how good these Huskers are.

My answer is/was…..at this point no one knows. But “indications” are they are pretty good.

First series…they were bad, 10 games after that…..pretty darn good….last night, bad.

But they certainly have potential to win the BiG methinks. But so does Indiana, Iowa, Illinois, Maryland, and a host of others.

We will get a much better feel once we hit conference play.

Let’s hope they play better against Nichols. Last night our Pitchers could not find the plate…LOL

I think they will! GBR!!

I will grant you that there are powers that do well year in and out (all “southern schools”)…but the rest …some 270 teams….jump around like Mexican jumping beans. (299 teams in Div 1)

Strength of schedule can only be judged towards the end of a season when you truly have results. Otherwise it is a terrible tool.

My answer is/was…..at this point no one knows. But “indications” are they are pretty good.

First series…they were bad, 10 games after that…..pretty darn good….last night, bad.

But they certainly have potential to win the BiG methinks. But so does Indiana, Iowa, Illinois, Maryland, and a host of others.

Let’s hope they play better against Nichols. Last night our Pitchers could not find the plate…LOL

I think they will! GBR!!
They just lost to Omaha. Not sure you’ll get much info from the BIG, as it sucks as a baseball conference. I just don’t understand for the life of me why folks are NOT reasonable. I’ll put you down as saying the Huskers are contenders.

I’ll put you down as saying the Huskers are contenders.
I said I thought they could win the BiG…but it was too early to really tell. So can a bunch of other teams.

BiG is not a “good“ Baseball Conference but it doesn’t “suck”…either.

And I think with all the money and Conference realignment…I personally think the BiG will get much better in the years ahead but will always face the “Northern Schools” problem.

Nebraska at least has the best facilities of ANY BiG school…Baseball wise, and it’s not even close. We are in a good position to build a dominating Baseball team in the BiG. Just have to get it done.

i think I am being totally reasonable and not name calling and trying to use good manners.

Because I disagree with you does not make you right…or me wrong.

Or vice versa.

Last edited:
I said I thought they could win the BiG…but it was too early to really tell. So can a bunch of other teams.

BiG is not a “good“ Baseball Conference but it doesn’t “suck”…either.

And I think with all the money and Conference realignment…I personally think the BiG will get much better in the years ahead but will always face the “Northern Schools” problem.

Nebraska at least has the best facilities of ANY BiG school…Baseball wise, and it’s not even close. We are in a good position to build a dominating Baseball team in the BiG. Just have to get it done.

i think I am being totally reasonable and not name calling and trying to use good manners.

Because I disagree with you does not make you right…or me wrong.

Or vice versa.
Good manners are good. There are some on here that you just shake your damn head at. What are you disagreeing with me on? I just asked a question. I have no idea if NU is any good or not. They’ve beat 2 decent teams. Everyone else has sucked. It’s hard to tell at this point. Are they just feasting on bad teams, or are they solid? I’m not sure that can be answered yet. What I do know is, with the BIG being not very good at all, they’d better pile up the wins in conference or they won’t get in the tournament.

Last night's game was an hour longer than the last few, from 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours. It was because of pitching.
Omaha’s pitching not that great either…..but they took advantage in a couple of situations with two outs and runners on.

we didn’t

And…Omaha's 3rd Baseman, Frederick, probably had the game of his life.

4 for 4…several RBI’s

but what really stood out was his absolutely EXCEPTIONAL defense. Robbed us 3 times of run scoring hits that go through other 3rd Baseman. One of the plays was MLB Tonight type.

While our SS who has been doing really well hitting over .300 and solid defense had 3 errors…..three!

Those errors and the ”just can’t find the plate” killed us.

It’s baseball! Some nights you get the bear…….some nights the bear gets you.

Last night the bear got us….

Last edited:

Omahas pitching not that great either…..bit they took advantage in a couple of situations with two outs and runners on.

we didn’t

And…Omaha's 3rd Baseman, Frederick, probably had the game of his life.

4 for 4…several RBI’s

but what really stood out was his absolutely EXCEPTIONAL defense. Robbed us 3 times of run scoring hits that go through other 3rd Baseman. One of the plays was MLB Tonight type.

While our SS who has been doing really well hitting over .300 and solid defense had 3 errors…..three!

Those errors and the ”just can’t find the plate” killed us.

It’s baseball! Some nights you get the bear…….some nights the bear gets you.

Last night the bear got us….
Spot on. For the most part, this team has beaten "who they should", stole one from Vandy, but couldn't replicate it against Ole Miss.
Too early to tell how good they'll be; way too soon to write them off. They are in a good spot to have a really solid year. I'm just going to enjoy the ups and downs of the season.
Baseball will give you heart issues if you live and die by every game like football.

I think they will! GBR!!
Fair post, but I don’t agree that you can’t factor in current strength of schedule. It’s based on what’s been done so far. If Nebraska was beating teams like TCU, or Oklahoma State, or LSU in a series, there’d be more ground to stand on.

As for your answer on how good? I’m not sure we will know even in BIG play, as the Conference just isn’t very good at all. Probably fairly important to win a bunch of games in BIG play. The NCAA isn’t likely to feast on BIG teams come regional time.

As for your answer on how good? I’m not sure we will know even in BIG play, as the Conference just isn’t very good at all. Probably fairly important to win a bunch of games in BIG play. The NCAA isn’t likely to feast on BIG teams come regional time.
Depends

last year the BiG was very weak….

Year before it was fairly strong…sent many teams to the dance. Our Homeboys came within 2 innings of unseating #1 Arkansas.

Two before that Michigan was one game from winning it all.

Baseball is just so entirely unpredictable.

so much more than virtually every other big sport.

On any given night…an entirely “bad” team can beat anyone with 8 of the 9 players of that bad team having a below average game.

But some lanky armed kid who hasn’t done much all season comes out and has magic in his arm that night.

No other game I can think of has this type of ups and downs…..unpredictability.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back