• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Have the Blackshirts ever been rehanded out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should players be "punished" by not receiving blackshirts -- because the coaches aren't good at coaching defense?

IMO, if a player has worked his tail off to earn a starting role (or significant backup) -- and is consistently giving 100% effort -- he's earned his blackshirt. That's the tradition. Otherwise, you are allowing a lack of coaching to prevent players from earning what was originally intended to be theirs.

Mark this down as another Bo-failure. :wave:

Are you trying to contend that our coaching staff did NOT do a good job of teaching the defense this season? Really?

If you can honestly watch the tapes or look at the stats from games 1-4 and games 8-12 and cannot see MAJOR improvement in a very young defense, I don't know what you think you are looking for as evidence.

Mark this post down as another HWM-failure.

Are you trying to contend that our coaching staff did NOT do a good job of teaching the defense this season? Really?

If you can honestly watch the tapes or look at the stats from games 1-4 and games 8-12 and cannot see MAJOR improvement in a very young defense, I don't know what you think you are looking for as evidence.

Then give them their Blackshirts!

Very young is over utilized. Our guys are not young at this point, and that was never an issue in my book, only an excuse. The defense changed when the YOUNG kids were allowed to play aggressive football and I dont attribute that to BO, rather the realization that his job was slipping away. Little did we know the inmates are running the asylum. If Bo was such a guru of Defense we would never had the lousy defenses of the last two years or better put, since he used up all of Callahan resources.

How about a coach that follows the Black Shirt tradition in every way instead of the Jeckle and Hyde that we so often get..

serious question: were you guys happy when the tradition was followed to a T and the defense stunk? while i love the tradition and wish bo would respect it a bit more, i am more concerned with the defense actually playing like blackshirts for a whole season rather than what color practice jersey they have.

THIS

I was happy with the tradition. Thought the defense stunk but it was our starting defense and those shirts were well earned and those players who earned them by becoming a starter deserve our respect. JMHO.

But let me ask you; when was the tradition followed to a T and the defense stunk?

2007.....;)

Everyone that steps on the field deserve our respect, because they have done all they can to be in the place they are. Someone earning a spot as a starter is obviously a great, but we all know that just because someone is a starter, doesn't always mean they earned it. It could be because of default. (there is no one capable or available to playing the position, how many blackshirt DTs played in last year's CCG for us were there). I love the tradition, but I think playing at the level that made the nation respect the tradition is more important.

These two posts back-to-back are almost too funny!

I had a conversation recently with a former player of mine. We were talking about whether coaches should be blamed or if players should be blamed when a team isn't as successful as they'd hoped. I suggested that it is almost always a combination of things. People don't like to say it, but sometimes players just aren't good enough to get it done. At the same time, coaches need to make sure they are putting players in situations in which they can be successful. For example, when Peyton Manning throws an interception, it's kind of hard to blame a coach. But if Peyton Manning is told to run the option, that's a coaching problem.

There have been times over the last few years where I felt coaches could have made better decisions. Our first Big Ten game against Wisconsin in 2011 was a great example. Beck shouldn't have been trying to force things with Martinez throwing the ball late in the first half. There are times where it is perfectly acceptable (though maybe not popular) to run some clock and go in at halftime thankful that a game is where it is. Instead, Beck essentially made things worse. Those INTs were partially on Martinez, but mostly on Beck, IMO.

And how does this relate to the blackshirt tradition?

2007.....;)

Everyone that steps on the field deserve our respect, because they have done all they can to be in the place they are. Someone earning a spot as a starter is obviously a great, but we all know that just because someone is a starter, doesn't always mean they earned it. It could be because of default. (there is no one capable or available to playing the position, how many blackshirt DTs played in last year's CCG for us were there). I love the tradition, but I think playing at the level that made the nation respect the tradition is more important.

I am sorry HRD but your argument holds no water. If a starter is injured, the coaches can simply decide if he maintains his shirt, if it goes to the backup that starts, or if we just have one fewer blackshirt that week. Simple stuff really. You seem to be reaching for straws to find a way to eliminate or minimize a truly grand tradition, by pointing to nearly irrelevant administrative minutiea. BD, TO, FS and even BC were capable of administering the tradition without controversy...IMO, only a crybaby egomaniac who wants his own stamp on everything would consider wrecking something so perfect.

Last edited:
I am sorry HRD but your argument holds no water. If a starter is injured, the coaches can simply decide if he maintains his shirt, if it goes to the backup that starts, or if we just have one fewer blackshirt that week. Simple stuff really. You seem to be reaching for straws to find a way to eliminate or minimize a truly grand tradition, by pointing to nearly irrelevant administrative minutiea. BD, TO, FS and even BC were capable of administering the tradition without controversy...IMO, only a crybaby egomaniac who wants his own stamp on everything would consider wrecking something so perfect.

Yup, that clearly must be it. Im glad we figured this out. Your last sentence makes it almost impossible to have a legitimate debate with you on anything related to Bo Pelini.

The defense certainly improved as the year progressed.

However, the quality of offense we faced later in the year was pretty dang low.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then why no blackshirts? Is it really that hard on Bo to take the time to reward his players with a long-honored tradition? Obviously much of my post was a bit tongue-in-cheek -- because I simply feel they deserved the blackshirts long ago (and very much expressed just that in my initial post). Maybe you see more from the defense than Bo did? And of course, when you note the improvements -- it should also come with pointing out games 1-4 featured the only two teams ranked in the top 40 in total offense nationally we played all season.

Regardless of your stance on how much our defense improved -- hand out the stinkin' blackshirts already. My point was simply -- if a defensive player has worked his tail off and earned a starting nod (or significant backup), give him a blackshirt. Bo apparently disagrees with this -- so it's either that he doesn't think working hard is enough -- or else the improvements were maybe not as major as you suggest, at least in Bo's eyes.

Last edited:

THis is why they use to be called black shirts...today...give em gray. Thats how they are taught now.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/n6MizU0nIU4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I doubt BO would take his black shirt...I doubt Jason would give it up

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tH4xW0Q9n7M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I guess some fans just aren't happy unless they are complaining about something. Doesn't matter what, just something.

I guess some fans just aren't happy unless they are complaining about something. Doesn't matter what, just something.

If Callahan had done the same thing (a season without blackshirts), we'd need riot patrol in Lincoln. ;) But seriously, 99% of posters here would have been all over him for such a move -- including me. I believe my take in post #57 is absolutely reasonable. And of course, that's why I'm here. :) I personally believe -- stop with the shenanigans of having to put your label on such a tradition, Bo. The tradition itself is bigger than any one coach to have that much control. They earned their blackshirts already.

I'm simply happy if I have something to type about -- and it's enough to get someone to read and reply to. :Biggrin:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back