• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Have the Blackshirts ever been rehanded out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
serious question: were you guys happy when the tradition was followed to a T and the defense stunk? while i love the tradition and wish bo would respect it a bit more, i am more concerned with the defense actually playing like blackshirts for a whole season rather than what color practice jersey they have.

Skunk, this tradition has been so badly quashed< there are only a few of us who care anymore. But they'll have to pry my blackshirt jersey (purchased not earned) from my cold, gray hand...before I forget what once was the grandest tradition in all college football.

Me too. I could have lived with a LITTLE tweaking, making it his own. (Handing them out after the first game or something)...but to have it go away entirely is just...WRONG

serious question: were you guys happy when the tradition was followed to a T and the defense stunk? while i love the tradition and wish bo would respect it a bit more, i am more concerned with the defense actually playing like blackshirts for a whole season rather than what color practice jersey they have.

I was happy with the tradition. Thought the defense stunk but it was our starting defense and those shirts were well earned and those players who earned them by becoming a starter deserve our respect. JMHO.

But let me ask you; when was the tradition followed to a T and the defense stunk?

The only way that I could support helmet stickers for Blackshirts is that a player earns one for each season they also earned a Blackshirt. So, at most, you'd have maybe 5 stickers on the back (with a redshirt, grayshirt season, etc). Kind of like how you get a letterman jacket in high school or college and then get pins for each subsequent letter you earn.

Otherwise, the helmet gets junked up and looks like some Ohio State piece of crap.

I was happy with the tradition. Thought the defense stunk but it was our starting defense and those shirts were well earned and those players who earned them by becoming a starter deserve our respect. JMHO.

But let me ask you; when was the tradition followed to a T and the defense stunk?

well everyone's definition of "stunk" is different, but in recent memory, i would say 1990, the end of 2001, 2002, 2004, and 2007.

i'm not saying i'm entirely happy with the way bo handles it, but i do think there is some merit to handling the tradition differently based on the situation. i don't like that the defense hasn't gotten them back (if that's true) this year considering the way they played down the stretch.

well everyone's definition of "stunk" is different, but in recent memory, i would say 1990, the end of 2001, 2002, 2004, and 2007.

i'm not saying i'm entirely happy with the way bo handles it, but i do think there is some merit to handling the tradition differently based on the situation. i don't like that the defense hasn't gotten them back (if that's true) this year considering the way they played down the stretch.

I guess it comes down to wondering when the blackshirt became the same as great defense. Blackshirt was to denote the starting defense not the top ten defense in college football. Somehow Bo became the first coach to think of blackshirts in that way. I wonder what his motivation was?

Skunkman:

I thought you knew the "entire" Blackshirt supply has been shipped away for long term safe keeping in the government's secret warehouse for worldly antiquities.

The crates are marked..........................Oh wait I can't say.

ps: I saw some black suits driving large dark vans near the area of farm asking folks about your sweet corn seed.

I guess it comes down to wondering when the blackshirt became the same as great defense. Blackshirt was to denote the starting defense not the top ten defense in college football. Somehow Bo became the first coach to think of blackshirts in that way. I wonder what his motivation was?

I suspect that his recollection of the Blackshirts (when he was in high school and college) was that they were always a top 10 defense in college football.

Should players be "punished" by not receiving blackshirts -- because the coaches aren't good at coaching defense?

IMO, if a player has worked his tail off to earn a starting role (or significant backup) -- and is consistently giving 100% effort -- he's earned his blackshirt. That's the tradition. Otherwise, you are allowing a lack of coaching to prevent players from earning what was originally intended to be theirs.

Mark this down as another Bo-failure. :wave:

Should players be "punished" by not receiving blackshirts -- because the coaches aren't good at coaching defense?

IMO, if a player has worked his tail off to earn a starting role (or significant backup) -- and is consistently giving 100% effort -- he's earned his blackshirt. That's the tradition. Otherwise, you are allowing a lack of coaching to prevent players from earning what was originally intended to be theirs.

:nod:

While it's difficult to say how effective black shirts were at getting extra motivation out of players, I'm tempted to think the tradition is more effective when shirts are given out to starters. The arbitrary measurement that Bo uses doesn't give the players a real goal to shoot for.

i would say that's a slight overreaction. but i guess that's what the board has become now....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back