• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Frost to Iowa!

Kirk Ferentz wins in Iowa city. He’s a hell of a coach, like it or not. I don’t know how many Iowa fans I’ve heard whining about Ferentz as if their program would win a national title if only they had the right coach. Nick Saban couldn’t win anything in East Lansing. Which is historically better than Iowa, and Ferentz’s record smoked little Nicky’s time in the less than fertile grounds of the b1g.

Didn't say I "like them?" You call a team hot garbage that wins 10 games. Many of us would call that a season for the ages at this point.

If "they suck", let's wrap our hands around what we've been for a decade. Lol.

Pathetic, frauds, smoke and mirrors are my thing? Never said any of that. Nice try though. What is MY thing is WINNING, which is something we have known nothing about for a long time. Bottom line is, Ferentz has.
If my source is correct, they've got an interesting hire coming, next week. And a pretty decent qb, to boot

My wish for Iowa is Scott Frost will bring the same dedication to Hawkeye football that he brought to DONU.
My concern is that under the right tutelage Scott frost could blossom. Think where sarkisian was 3-4 years ago.
I still believe in the formula thst Scott frost has in him, a Chip Kelly/tom Osborne mix of which he spoke many times of what he would do. Of course, he figured no need in bringing Tom Osborne to town when he took the Nebraska job snd it don’t work without it, on or off the field…. Kirk Ferentz would demand that side of it, but I also don’t believe Ferentz is in the big brother/big sister program at the moment.

You can have all the know how in the world, if you don’t want to put the time in you will fail in that profession.

No. I don’t want my team to be anything like them. They are frauds, and always have been. They’ve never won anything, in 23 years, nothing. I’d rather keep swinging for the fences, because if you’re happy just middling, you don’t have a chance to ever win. They suck. They are an embarrassment nationwide. Pathetic, and worst 10 win, power 5 team, ever. Smoke and mirrors, but hey, if that’s your thing, I don’t know what else to say. i mean, if I were an Iowa fan, like I love the Huskers, bet your ass, I’d have been screaming on the message board for all 20+ years about Ferentz. I’d bet, there are a lot of fans of Iowa, whom feel the same way. That guy is a fraud, and Iowa has let him become untouchable mostly. Sad and pathetic. Someone on the board, needs to grow a sack, and say, BS, enough of this.

I think you’re missing the point on this one.

I don’t like Iowa at all, or their style of football. Last year to hope to be Iowa was pretty much all we had. Moving forward I’m 100% fine with complimentary football and I’d love to see 10 wins sooner than later. That’s not the same thing as saying I want us to look like Iowa.

On Ferentz, I hate his as well, but respect the job he’s done with what he’s been able to recruit. He’s developed a ton of NFL players and won a lot of football games. It’s not pretty more times than not, but he’s winning with what he has. That’s the lesson to me.

Last edited:
Kirk Ferentz wins in Iowa city. He’s a hell of a coach, like it or not. I don’t know how many Iowa fans I’ve heard whining about Ferentz as if their program would win a national title if only they had the right coach. Nick Saban couldn’t win anything in East Lansing. Which is historically better than Iowa, and Ferentz’s record smoked little Nicky’s time in the less than fertile grounds of the b1g.

He knows his school’s limitations in the recruiting world and still finds a way to win 10 games a year.

If he could have found an OC with a philosophy that worked with his overall philosophy but still a system that couple attract better skill position players, they’d have been a monster.

Ferentz is 198-136. Average 8 wins a season, beating mostly, crap teams, with a very occasional upset. Saban didn’t stay at MSU 24 years. Lol. Ferentz is a very average coach, at best. That program has been flatlined the entire time he’s been there. Yes, it’s steady, but for what? To average 15 points a game? That’s absolutely pathetic. Ferentz hadn’t been hungry since probably 2005. Cruise control, checks cashed. Pathetic that they stand for that. Zero upside with Ferentz.

He knows his school’s limitations in the recruiting world and still finds a way to win 10 games a year.

If he could have found an OC with a philosophy that worked with his overall philosophy but still a system that couple attract better skill position players, they’d have been a monster.
The limitations, are called laziness. He made the hires, severely limiting what that program could be. Do you think Bob Stoops would have been this bad in Iowa City (almost happened, but OU got him first)? Hell to the no. Ferentz doesn’t think out of the box to improve. It’s his fault that program has been flatlined for all his time there. They put up with it. They are cool with 8 wins a year. IMO, they are complete frauds, and have been. Selling 8 wins to its fans, while generally beating no one, is pathetic. Moving forward, without change, Iowa will be lucky to win 6 games a year, as the schedule will be increasingly more difficult. .

I think you’re missing the point on this one.

I don’t like Iowa at all, or their style of football. Last year to hope to be Iowa was pretty much all we had. Moving forward I’m 100% fine with complimentary football and I’d love to see 10 wins sooner than later. That’s not the same thing as saying I want us to look like Iowa.

On Ferentz, I hate his as well, but respect the job he’s done with what he’s been able to recruit. He’s developed a ton of NFL players and won a lot of football games. It’s not pretty more times than not, but he’s winning with what he has. That’s the lesson to me.
Bingo. You stated it much more clearly than I certainly did. But you nailed exactly why one would appreciate what he's accomplished... which is clear as day.

Last edited:
The limitations, are called laziness. He made the hires, severely limiting what that program could be. Do you think Bob Stoops would have been this bad in Iowa City (almost happened, but OU got him first)? Hell to the no. Ferentz doesn’t think out of the box to improve. It’s his fault that program has been flatlined for all his time there. They put up with it. They are cool with 8 wins a year. IMO, they are complete frauds, and have been. Selling 8 wins to its fans, while generally beating no one, is pathetic. Moving forward, without change, Iowa will be lucky to win 6 games a year, as the schedule will be increasingly more difficult. .

I find myself almost chuckling that I'm defending Ferentz (a guy I personally can't stand), but here we are.

The limitations in Iowa City are real. Recruiting to Iowa City is not the same as Ann Arbor, Columbus, Madison or even Lincoln. They're not a traditional power and to this day don't have the sway that even Nebraska, eight years in the wasteland, still holds in the area. Now I can agree that he made the hires and his recent OC choices have not been good or should I say have not resulted in a good offense. His son is awful and that's 100% his fault. He can chase all the Florida or Texas speed he wants, most of them aren't going to come to Iowa City. That's not laziness, that's a limitation. He figures out how to work with what's in the cupboard and he wins football games. He's still sitting on 81 wins since we hired Mike Riley, or an average of 9 wins a season, and owns three division titles. The record is admirable, no matter how pretty the games were. If the only good wins are the when you blow someone's doors off, sure. I get it. I disagree, but I know where you stand.

On Stoops, Bob being an Iowa alum and an assistant under Hayden Frye for five years, knew exactly what the limitations and likely ceiling in Iowa City were. He took a better job and won a lot of games. He takes the Iowa job instead and likely has a similar record as Ferentz did. OU is a much easier school to recruit to than Iowa. He's a car ride away from Texas talent and Oklahoma generally produces more D1 talent in state. I'd have made the same choice.

As far as him thinking outside the box, again I think you have to go back to a coach looking at what he can do. His job as head coach is to win football games and the smartest question he can ask himself is 'How can I do that this year?' If their defense is nails and special teams is as well, you play 'small ball'. Work for your breaks in those two phases of the game and don't let your weakness hurt you, which has almost always been their offense.

As to the fans accepting 8 wins a year, I can't really speak for Iowa's fan base. I know a few that love Ferentz and a few that can't stand their style of football. One thing they've universally said is that our recent struggles have made them a little gun shy about running of their 8 win guy. Who follows and what are the results?

On them slipping, I've been saying that for a decade. 'This is the year'. They lose a handful to the NFL every year. Guys that beat us most of the time and I'm thinking 'No better than 3rd in the West' yet they win. They develop what they have, work within their capabilities and win football games. That's really what our next step has to be. Yes, the conference has just gotten much tougher to play in and he'll likely have to rethink some of what he does on offense to compete, but I've discounted Ferentz for too many years to my own dismay to do it again.

I agree. And yes, time has passed him by. Todays Big won't allow the schedules Iowa has been known to love.
And yes he has stunted Iowa football by those surrounding him on offense, you could say he's played it safe as his devotion to defense has mostly kept him in games, but it only got worse and that fine line in winning those games got even thinner, yet he still won a lot.

This all sounds way too familiar, we don't want to end up like Iowa, we only beat the teams we're supposed to beat, but KF is that poster boy and is to me, very close mindedly Big Ten, where the old winning the rose bowl meant everything regardless of natties.
And since that rose bowl requirement no longer exists, the only fan bases allowed to think outside that box besides mich and osu are psu and us.
So some of that settling has been built in due to the old bowl structure, but there isn't one Nebraska fan who doesn't have some fond memories of the orange bowl, to get a taste of what many Big fans of most Big teams feel.

Last edited:
I find myself almost chuckling that I'm defending Ferentz (a guy I personally can't stand), but here we are.

The limitations in Iowa City are real. Recruiting to Iowa City is not the same as Ann Arbor, Columbus, Madison or even Lincoln. They're not a traditional power and to this day don't have the sway that even Nebraska, eight years in the wasteland, still holds in the area. Now I can agree that he made the hires and his recent OC choices have not been good or should I say have not resulted in a good offense. His son is awful and that's 100% his fault. He can chase all the Florida or Texas speed he wants, most of them aren't going to come to Iowa City. That's not laziness, that's a limitation. He figures out how to work with what's in the cupboard and he wins football games. He's still sitting on 81 wins since we hired Mike Riley, or an average of 9 wins a season, and owns three division titles. The record is admirable, no matter how pretty the games were. If the only good wins are the when you blow someone's doors off, sure. I get it. I disagree, but I know where you stand.

On Stoops, Bob being an Iowa alum and an assistant under Hayden Frye for five years, knew exactly what the limitations and likely ceiling in Iowa City were. He took a better job and won a lot of games. He takes the Iowa job instead and likely has a similar record as Ferentz did. OU is a much easier school to recruit to than Iowa. He's a car ride away from Texas talent and Oklahoma generally produces more D1 talent in state. I'd have made the same choice.

As far as him thinking outside the box, again I think you have to go back to a coach looking at what he can do. His job as head coach is to win football games and the smartest question he can ask himself is 'How can I do that this year?' If their defense is nails and special teams is as well, you play 'small ball'. Work for your breaks in those two phases of the game and don't let your weakness hurt you, which has almost always been their offense.

As to the fans accepting 8 wins a year, I can't really speak for Iowa's fan base. I know a few that love Ferentz and a few that can't stand their style of football. One thing they've universally said is that our recent struggles have made them a little gun shy about running of their 8 win guy. Who follows and what are the results?

On them slipping, I've been saying that for a decade. 'This is the year'. They lose a handful to the NFL every year. Guys that beat us most of the time and I'm thinking 'No better than 3rd in the West' yet they win. They develop what they have, work within their capabilities and win football games. That's really what our next step has to be. Yes, the conference has just gotten much tougher to play in and he'll likely have to rethink some of what he does on offense to compete, but I've discounted Ferentz for too many years to my own dismay to do it again.

I am going to nauseously like this post

I am going to nauseously like this post

It almost makes me physically ill to defend Ferentz, but when you look at where he's at and the body of work, I simply can't take the other side of the argument anymore.

He's never going to win a NC doing what he does, but he goes a drastically different route on offense and they're likely not even sniffing 10 wins again. Ferentz retires or gets fired and they're going to repeat our last eight years in some form or fashion.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back