• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Frost to Iowa!

It almost makes me physically ill to defend Ferentz, but when you look at where he's at and the body of work, I simply can't take the other side of the argument anymore.

He's never going to win a NC doing what he does, but he goes a drastically different route on offense and they're likely not even sniffing 10 wins again. Ferentz retires or gets fired and they're going to repeat our last eight years in some form or fashion.
I still think he's a weasel in a mans body

It almost makes me physically ill to defend Ferentz, but when you look at where he's at and the body of work, I simply can't take the other side of the argument anymore.

He's never going to win a NC doing what he does, but he goes a drastically different route on offense and they're likely not even sniffing 10 wins again. Ferentz retires or gets fired and they're going to repeat our last eight years in some form or fashion.
Trust me, I'm with you in terms of not being a fan. But what he has done is beyond admirable considering the hand he has been dealt.

If this guy was so lazy and such a fraud, why do they pump out pro after pro, year after year, while we're sitting here wondering if our best player is going to get drafted on the 3rd day? The guy has done more with less than most coaches I've seen over a stretch of time.

Now allow me to run to the bathroom so I can stick my finger down my throat. Heck, I may be forced to go to confession after this post.

Last edited:
Well let's hope you're wrong because I certainly don't want that "fraud" to produce 11 and 12 win seasons after the hot garbage we've had to endure for the last couple of decades. ;)
I'm 99% sure I'm right. It's a little out of the box, as in not from a traditional power 5 program. But, I think it will be a good hire. Of course, they'll hafta get some skill players to surround the qb, in order for the new coordinator to improve an anemic offense. The guy is young, so doesn't have proven recruiting chops.

I'm 99% sure I'm right. It's a little out of the box, as in not from a traditional power 5 program. But, I think it will be a good hire. Of course, they'll hafta get some skill players to surround the qb, in order for the new coordinator to improve an anemic offense. The guy is young, so doesn't have proven recruiting chops.

If you are right and it takes them a few recruiting cycles to be able to run a new offense, I'm wondering what that looks like?

Ferentz will likely still play it very close to the vest and still try to 'Iowa' everyone, which I think makes the recruiting process for a new offense harder. Much like we saw with what we had to run this year versus what we want to run and the likely impact on recruiting. Pulling Raiola with what we did last year is even more amazing to me looking back.

He knows his school’s limitations in the recruiting world and still finds a way to win 10 games a year.

If he could have found an OC with a philosophy that worked with his overall philosophy but still a system that couple attract better skill position players, they’d have been a monster.
They could have averaged tne magical 25 points a game and they still are a 10 win team. How many coaches reach, and maintain the school/teams ceiling. Not many. Why average points per game is more important to a fan base than winning is beyond me.

Moorehead?

That QB you were talking about wouldn't be Ty Thompson, would it? If so, he's off to Tulane.

They could have averaged tne magical 25 points a game and they still are a 10 win team. How many coaches reach, and maintain the school/teams ceiling. Not many. Why average points per game is more important to a fan base than winning is beyond me.
If they hadn't lost their starting qb, would they have made the 25?

I find myself almost chuckling that I'm defending Ferentz (a guy I personally can't stand), but here we are.

The limitations in Iowa City are real. Recruiting to Iowa City is not the same as Ann Arbor, Columbus, Madison or even Lincoln. They're not a traditional power and to this day don't have the sway that even Nebraska, eight years in the wasteland, still holds in the area. Now I can agree that he made the hires and his recent OC choices have not been good or should I say have not resulted in a good offense. His son is awful and that's 100% his fault. He can chase all the Florida or Texas speed he wants, most of them aren't going to come to Iowa City. That's not laziness, that's a limitation. He figures out how to work with what's in the cupboard and he wins football games. He's still sitting on 81 wins since we hired Mike Riley, or an average of 9 wins a season, and owns three division titles. The record is admirable, no matter how pretty the games were. If the only good wins are the when you blow someone's doors off, sure. I get it. I disagree, but I know where you stand.

On Stoops, Bob being an Iowa alum and an assistant under Hayden Frye for five years, knew exactly what the limitations and likely ceiling in Iowa City were. He took a better job and won a lot of games. He takes the Iowa job instead and likely has a similar record as Ferentz did. OU is a much easier school to recruit to than Iowa. He's a car ride away from Texas talent and Oklahoma generally produces more D1 talent in state. I'd have made the same choice.

As far as him thinking outside the box, again I think you have to go back to a coach looking at what he can do. His job as head coach is to win football games and the smartest question he can ask himself is 'How can I do that this year?' If their defense is nails and special teams is as well, you play 'small ball'. Work for your breaks in those two phases of the game and don't let your weakness hurt you, which has almost always been their offense.

As to the fans accepting 8 wins a year, I can't really speak for Iowa's fan base. I know a few that love Ferentz and a few that can't stand their style of football. One thing they've universally said is that our recent struggles have made them a little gun shy about running of their 8 win guy. Who follows and what are the results?

On them slipping, I've been saying that for a decade. 'This is the year'. They lose a handful to the NFL every year. Guys that beat us most of the time and I'm thinking 'No better than 3rd in the West' yet they win. They develop what they have, work within their capabilities and win football games. That's really what our next step has to be. Yes, the conference has just gotten much tougher to play in and he'll likely have to rethink some of what he does on offense to compete, but I've discounted Ferentz for too many years to my own dismay to do it again.
I certainly respect a lot of this Crab. You mostly write good stuff. Limitations are what can make you great. Someone says you can’t, and you rise up and dominate. Those guys are out there. That program, to me, has been stale since 2005. They need someone creative, smart, energetic, hungry and young. They can pay with the best of them. They have money. They allow themselves no chance to improve with Ferentz in charge. I think they could do better.

I’m a guy who believes every business, has a cap on what it can do, without damaging the product/service. I think Iowa can do better than him, much better. This guy is just collecting a fat paycheck. 24 years is long enough. I feel for their diehard fans. The university doesn’t even try. They deserve better.

I'll say it again, Iowa and Iowa fans pride themselves on giving few offers.
Now while this appears to good recruiting including the record of the team, the landscape has changed so much, KF and his entire staff, especially those in the building and not on the field have drastic changes to make just to keep up.
Recruiting and continued recruiting the players you have are often the hardest work coaches have to do, and this staff isn't Young, and may not even have a great vision to put them in an competitive scenario in todays changing cfb landscape.
So that which was good enough and begrudgingly admirable will no longer work well enough for todays game imo.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back