• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Frost out; Mickey Joseph Named Interim Head Coach

Agreed. I think Mickey needs to make some immediate changes on the D staff.
I agree, but the asst coaches are under contract for 2 years. More buyout $ for them too?

FWIW, I don't foresee any drastic changes. We still have the same players and coaches, with the same issues. Too bad MJ will be saddled with a loosing record as a head coach. In addition, MJ will likely not be kept by the next HC.

The firing and sure to come self reflection will make him much better coach in the future imo.

It'll be interesting to see what the future holds for Frost. He's definitely not going to get a P5 HC job any time soon, but I wonder if he'll look to stay at the P5 level as an "analyst" for somebody like Chip Kelly at UCLA or maybe even Saban in 2023. Or if he decides to take a HC job at a FCS or G5 school.

I sure hope that Frost agreed to the negotiated 7.5 million and not the full 15 million. To be hasty a mere 21 days that would save you 7.5 million is fiscal irresponsibility UNLESS boosters "donated" ,millions to the cause.
I disagree that the extra $7.5 m is okay if boosters ponied up. I wouldn’t ask boosters for that or take it if offered. Remember, Frost’s haircut was less than the $7.5. He got to keep his job an extra year at $4 m; so it might be more like a $3.5 m hair cut.

It'll be interesting to see what the future holds for Frost. He's definitely not going to get a P5 HC job any time soon, but I wonder if he'll look to stay at the P5 level as an "analyst" for somebody like Chip Kelly at UCLA or maybe even Saban in 2023. Or if he decides to take a HC job at a FCS or G5 school.

P5 OC maybe?

That sure seemed to be his niche.

Last edited:

First piece of business for Mickey is to can Chinander!

For who? Hiring a DC who's currently not employed is a non-starter. Because of the limits on practices and meetings, a college team can't overhaul an offensive or defensive system during the season. Not to mention that there aren't any better defensive players out there that Nebraska can go get during the season.

Chinander will stay simply because without him, it places an additional burden on the rest of the staff. Things can actually get worse. The staff already has enough challenges ahead of them. There's no reason to give them another challenge.

So how does MJ realign the current staff? I agree Chins needs replaced but how do you go about that and keep some continuity? Is there someone in house that was just an adviser and not coaching that they can add to the staff?
Somebody that lives in Lincoln needs to run over to the stadium and see if MJ has got everyone busy already...lol. Time is short for OU!

Why likely?

Agree timing is surprising as 10/2 would have been first likely day to fire him
I'm truly perplexed that some actually still question this decision, regardless of timing. Not saying that Thill feels that way, but there are still those who think he deserves more time

For who? Hiring a DC who's currently not employed is a non-starter. Because of the limits on practices and meetings, a college team can't overhaul an offensive or defensive system during the season. Not to mention that there aren't any better defensive players out there that Nebraska can go get during the season.

Chinander will stay simply because without him, it places an additional burden on the rest of the staff. Things can actually get worse. The staff already has enough challenges ahead of them. There's no reason to give them another challenge.
Gary Patterson?

Now that it's over, I'm just extraordinarily sad. Everybody wanted this to work so badly.

The fact Nebraska may have a "strained" relationship with Scott Frost just like Solich has never wanted to come back and be honored by Husker fans hurts.

It shouldn't be strained like Solich's. Frank was clearly done dirty having been fired after a 9 (10) win season which was an improvement over the previous season.

Scott was given more chances after worse results

Last edited:

I'm truly perplexed that some actually still question this decision, regardless of timing. Not saying that Thill feels that way, but there are still those who think he deserves more time
Thrill thinks he deserves more time but won't acknowledge it.

How could any person who loves husker football think more of SF tenure is a good thing?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back