• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Frost out; Mickey Joseph Named Interim Head Coach

this is wild to me, tbh.. like i get that he wasn't the answer and that his days were numbered, but doing this before the buyout got dialed back kinda perplexes me. like, what is the advantage here? would the next weeks make that much of a difference? i understand the AD and boosters have more than enough $$ to compensate but still kinda feels like a waste of resources.

or is that just a move to rip the bandaid off, and give scott that extra $ as a sort of constellation prize and thanks for what he's done for the program prior to taking over?

I too am stunned they didn't wait until October 1. I think Trev's thinking is that the Big-10 West is pretty bad this year. Wisconsin lost to Washington St., and Iowa's offense appears to be as inept as the NU defense. The Huskers only have 1 conference loss. Oklahoma's going to smoke the Huskers regardless who the HC is, but the conference season can theoretically be saved.

If the Huskers win the West, it's possible that some of the current recruiting class stays with their commitment and waits to see who the permanent HC will be. That gives the next staff a chance to keep the guys who fit what they want to do on offense and defense in the fold. It also gives them a chance to convince guys on the current roster to stay rather than hitting the portal or declaring for the NFL draft.

NO! Just a shame it didn't work out. It's not like he was't trying.
He placed loyalty to his buddies above loyalty to the program, and his strategies often served his ego at the expense of winning.

Yeah mostly he's just incompetent. But that wasn't the only problem.

Last edited:
this is wild to me, tbh.. like i get that he wasn't the answer and that his days were numbered, but doing this before the buyout got dialed back kinda perplexes me. like, what is the advantage here? would the next weeks make that much of a difference? i understand the AD and boosters have more than enough $$ to compensate but still kinda feels like a waste of resources.

or is that just a move to rip the bandaid off, and give scott that extra $ as a sort of constellation prize and thanks for what he's done for the program prior to taking over?
Formo, nice to see you back on the board. Are you coming to the Minnesota game?

Completely depends on what the new coach wants and whether he thinks he can hire better options. Maybe better fits to his philosophy of whatever.

But I would like to see Joseph retained, but I will understand if he is not.

I would think for at least one year given he is under contract for 2023 and to try “help” keep as many in the wide receiver room/recruiting class.

thats exactly what thompson said in post game interview last nite. guess thats something thats been coached.

In this context, I don't mind what Ajay said. Thompson's comment last night IMO is different. Last night's comment was a subtle dig at the defense. The fact that finger pointing between the offense and defense may have started last night may have bern a factor in Trev's decision to make a change now.

Likely the right decision, but feels like the wrong timing.
Didn't get around to talking about it on here today, but I was thinking losing last night would make this a lot more difficult For Trev. I thought the public pressure and intense scrutiny was going to force his hand. It was going to be harder to say he wanted to see how the season progressed without it looking like it was only about the money.

It is possible that Frost did or will work out some modification on the $7.5 million that was due to go away on Oct 1. I certainly believed Frost shouldn't voluntarily resign but if I was him I would consider leaving sonething on the table now, like take that extra $ and donate it to the athletic dept as a gesture of goodwill.

Last edited:

My Thinking is this is a 3 month job interview for Joseph

The last two coaches have won a combined 35 games over 8+ years. Riley won 19 in 3 years included 1-1 in bowl games. Frost got 4+ years and won 16. I'm hoping the history repeats and the next coach is a repeat of Devaney. Or maybe our WR coach can duplicate the one at Clemson.

Formo, nice to see you back on the board. Are you coming to the Minnesota game?
hey Max! i currently do not have any plans for attending any away games, but depending on how the conference season shakes out, i may try to make the trip to madison for the final game of the season. had a ton of personal life changes since 2018 and just starting to get things back in order, i can not wait to get back and hit some more B1G stadiums with my kids and new partner

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back