• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Four-star DB prospect ( Davian Shelton) interested in NU’s “islandâ€￾ (with video)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It happens sometimes...being overlooked that is....no rhyme or reason why....Rex Burkhead didnt' exactly get a list of overwhelming offers either and he was a 4-star also....nor did Lavonte David or Todd Peat for that matter....that is just to name three....

USC and UCLA may not have had the need and in 'SC's case they are on scholarship limit as you knwo of 15 this year and 2013 and 2014.....

Seems to have gotten a fair share of west coast offers....

Which leads me to a question that maybe you can help me with. Obviously this kid has been noticed as he is a 4* kid, but why not a more impressive list of offers? My following recruiting is really limited to this board so I really don't know. I can think of a couple of reasons why, such as he has no interest in other schools and/or some other schools that may normally be interested don't have a need at his position. RR, this is more just a general recruting question, not making any statements about this kids ability. I guess the major question is, how are so many schools overlooking this kid?

Im not RR by any means, and I dont know much other than there were some grade issues. Alot of schools look at grades and whatnot when looking at offering. Although his coach has said that his grades absolutely will be there and that he will qualify.

It happens sometimes...being overlooked that is....no rhyme or reason why....Rex Burkhead didnt' exactly get a list of overwhelming offers either and he was a 4-star also....nor did Lavonte David or Todd Peat for that matter....that is just to name three....

USC and UCLA may not have had the need and in 'SC's case they are on scholarship limit as you knwo of 15 this year and 2013 and 2014.....

Seems to have gotten a fair share of west coast offers....

Thanks fellas. Never thought about the grade issue. Just surprised he doesn't have more offers as he looks like a beast and very physical at his position. At any rate, if it benefits the good guys then it's fine with me.

So your theory of not looking at stars (he is a 4-star) yet looking at his offers (not real impressive) is out the door in this case because you like his interview? Just curious....

His offers: Oregon State, Nebraska, Arizona, Arizona State, Idaho, New Mexico, San Diego State, SMU, Utah State, Washington State

I disagree that his offer list isn't impressive. Three Pac12 teams. In addition to that, anyone looking at it logically would note that some schools were worried about his academics, hence not offering him.

For future references Red Reign, my general rule is to pay more attention to offers as opposed to star rankings. That's just a general rule.

Can you enlighten us out of the loop who the rumblings are about?

There are a few players that have discussed leaving with others. It doesn't mean they will. It's not too difficult to figure out who some of them are nor would you be surprised if you heard their names.

I disagree back.....no great schools on that offer list for a 4-star recruit....but then again I disagree with your whole stance on offers vs stars to begin with.....using your logic David, Amukamura. Dennard, Gomes etc etc. should not have been recruited as none of them had great offer lists....

I disagree that his offer list isn't impressive. Three Pac12 teams. In addition to that, anyone looking at it logically would note that some schools were worried about his academics, hence not offering him.

For future references Red Reign, my general rule is to pay more attention to offers as opposed to star rankings. That's just a general rule.

Last edited:
Can you enlighten us out of the loop who the rumblings are about?

This was talked about over on the football board by 215, but Kerr (now off the team), Okafor, and Mitchell were the three generating the most rumblings I guess. AG, Turner, and Carnes have all been speculated, but from what I've heard/read, there isn't any truth to those three...

I disagree back.....no great schools on that offer list for a 4-star recruit....but then again I disagree with your whole stance on offers vs stars to begin with.....using your logic David, Amukamura. Dennard, Gomes etc etc. should not have been recruited as none of them had great offer lists....

Are you in an arguing mood today or what? Again, it's just a general rule. I put more stock into offers than I do star rankings. In other words, I put more stock into the evaluations of successful coaches than I put into recruiting services.

It doesn't mean that all great recruits will have great offers. For the third time, generally speaking, I think offers are more valuable than star rankings.

Last edited:
I put more stock into the evaluations of successful coaches than I put into recruiting services.
Interesting take on the recruiting thing. I hadn't thought of it that way. Makes sense that coaches would be better at judging talent and things other than measureables. I still think it is a crap shoot either way:)

Are you in an arguing mood today or what? Again, it's just a general rule. I put more stock into offers than I do star rankings. In other words, I put more stock into the evaluations of successful coaches than I put into recruiting services.

It doesn't mean that all great recruits will have great offers. For the third time, generally speaking, I think offers are more valuable than star rankings.

I'm definitely not a recruiting expert, but I always thought the two were fairly related. Aren't star ratings, at least to a certain degree, influenced by offers? I'll admit that this list doesn't seem typical for a 4-star recruit, but some of that may be due to his interest level, schools' needs, and grades.

Last edited:
I'm definitely not a recruiting expert, but I always thought the two were fairly related. Aren't star ratings, at least to a certain degree, influenced by offers? I'll admit that this list doesn't seem typical for a 4-star recruit, but some of that may be due to his interest level, schools' needs, and grades.

I'd say very often, but not always.

When I see a 3 STAR recruit like Valentine pile up the offers he has, I have to think the rating service miissed on his ranking.

I dont want to get into the argument between the recruiting services' rankings and a recruits offer list. I can see both points of view and to be honest, schools and service sites miss out on kids. I wanted to throw my :2cents: on the offer list. I know there are examples of kids having a below average offer list and still being regarded as top recruits. Red Reign made some nice examples. Davian Shelton is another example. I think the question is more finding the list impressive overall? The way I would ask that is simple. Am I happy to have a kid choose my school over 3-5 other schools of comparable or better prestige. So looking at his offers of Oregon State, Nebraska, Arizona, Arizona State, Idaho, New Mexico, San Diego State, SMU, Utah State and Washington State. Taking away Nebraska, who are 3-5 schools you are happy to be taking away talent from for yourself. For someone who is so in favor of 'who else offered' I am surprised by your stance. Most of those schools are in the bottom half of the NCAA.

I'd say very often, but not always.

When I see a 3 STAR recruit like Valentine pile up the offers he has, I have to think the rating service miissed on his ranking.

It is a bit strange when you compare the offer lists for Valentine and Shelton. They both carry 3-star ratings on Scout, but where they differ is that Valentine is the #38 DT and Shelton is the #93 S. Perhaps it's just that there is more of a need, or desire, to have good DTs on your team. Rivals is puzzling. They have Valentine as a 3-star, 5.7, #30 DT and Shelton as a 4-star, 5.8, #24 DB. Shelton is rated higher on all three, but again, perhaps the offer list has to do with needs. I don't know. I'm perplexed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back