• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

For those proposing KU to the B1G…

There are fans and bars all over the country for almost all the top programs. LOL. It cracks me up how Husker fans think it's only us that have this type of following. No offense man. Just stating truth. People watched that Nebraska/Ohio State game more for Ohio State than Nebraska. I think it was around 6 million viewers? That's not many when it comes to TV ratings.
The whole reason Nebraska got picked up by the BUG was fan following. Nebraska has one of the top followings on social media, they have more sell outs than anyone else, they travel better than most fan bases. I’m not saying we’re number one but Nebraska is still relevant. If they don’t start winning that definitely could go away. I’m in my forties and every football fan 35 or older still remembers the good Nebraska. Once those people are gone maybe they won’t be relevant.

The whole reason Nebraska got picked up by the BUG was fan following. Nebraska has one of the top followings on social media, they have more sell outs than anyone else, they travel better than most fan bases. I’m not saying we’re number one but Nebraska is still relevant. If they don’t start winning that definitely could go away. I’m in my forties and every football fan 35 or older still remembers the good Nebraska. Once those people are gone maybe they won’t be relevant.
I don't disagree with any of that, but being popular on social media and having sellouts, doesn't really benefit the conference as much as it benefits the University. I'm really surprised no one has hit on why exactly the B1G wanted Nebraska. It was talked about quite extensively when it happened, especially by TO.

I don't disagree with any of that, but being popular on social media and having sellouts, doesn't really benefit the conference as much as it benefits the University. I'm really surprised no one has hit on why exactly the B1G wanted Nebraska. It was talked about quite extensively when it happened, especially by TO.
The sellouts show me we still have 90,000 people interested every Saturday. The BIG brought us in for a lot of reasons. Top five winning program of all time, fan support, top 25 ranked revenue producer, culture fit, AAU member. We are working on rejoining the AAU and it’s getting close. Nebraska was one of the founders of the AAU by the way. That’s going to be huge if expansion happens. That’s why Kansas and the PAC schools are being talked about. Kansas basketball viewership is really good across the country. It will be about money and academic prestige. The AAU grant and research money is huge. I got off topic a little.

I’m not offended and I agree completely on Iowa St. I said yesterday that I would consider Kansas if we got Missouri or a package of other schools. Kansas by themselves doesn’t move the needle much. Iowa St. is a MAC team.
They are still a major university. Iowa State isn’t a MAC team right now. Yes, they will more than likely go back to being awful again someday, but right now, they are quite solid. They also usually have a pretty good basketball team, and they do have pretty loyal fans that travel well. 36k students is quite strong. They aren’t a MAC team, even if their football team sucked again, at least imo anyway.

If Iowa St is accredited, I don’t understand why they wouldn’t be a fit with their geography. Like others have said, they are better at basketball and football than NU currently. Maybe they want big fish first.

If Iowa St is accredited, I don’t understand why they wouldn’t be a fit with their geography. Like others have said, they are better at basketball and football than NU currently. Maybe they want big fish first.
It’s not about who’s winning or losing right now. That stuff goes in cycles. I’m not saying it won’t happen because hell I don’t know. Does Iowa St. bring viewers? Do they bring a new market? Geographically they fit, Academically they fit. It’s the money stuff that will drive this train in my opinion.

Stop calling me old. Lol

It’s not about who’s winning or losing right now. That stuff goes in cycles. I’m not saying it won’t happen because hell I don’t know. Does Iowa St. bring viewers? Do they bring a new market? Geographically they fit, Academically they fit. It’s the money stuff that will drive this train in my opinion.
I get that argument when you are adding 2 teams to a 10 or 12 team conference. But when going to 16 or 20, not every market will check all boxes.

Iowa St brings little to the expansion table. It's all about brand, and NU's brand is still in a different universe than Iowa St, even if the recent results don't show that. KU brings some of that in basketball, but is that enough for the Big 10? I have no idea. I feel like if we're headed towards super conferences, schools like ISU, KSU, the Arizona schools, Okie State, etc, might be left without a chair when the music stops.

How'd they finish in basketball last year?

Iowa St brings little to the expansion table. It's all about brand, and NU's brand is still in a different universe than Iowa St, even if the recent results don't show that. KU brings some of that in basketball, but is that enough for the Big 10? I have no idea. I feel like if we're headed towards super conferences, schools like ISU, KSU, the Arizona schools, Okie State, etc, might be left without a chair when the music stops.
I see them becoming a new better version of the mountain west. A few teams added in from group of five merging with the leftovers. It would still be a fun conference to watch. Unfortunately for those programs it would kill all National relevance they might have once had.

No one has any idea of where this is going. It’s fun speculation at this point. I am confident at some point there will be super conferences and no NCAA anymore. The thing that’s confusing me is how little some fans think about our program. I understand win/loss wise we’ve been terrible the last six or seven years. I totally get that but it has zero to do with Nebraska’s value. People are actually propping up schools like Iowa St. because they’ve had a decent run under one coach. It just shows the lack of knowledge fans have in their own program. Nebraska is ranked 23rd in total athletic revenue. There is zero chance a school with the money and following of Nebraska gets left out. Why anyone would consider Iowa St on par or better than Nebraska in this kind of discussion boggles my mind.

C3510A1E-2D08-45B7-AA64-6FC542929522.png

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back