• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

For those proposing KU to the B1G…

Oh, I completely agree we have one of the best fan bases. That wasn't my point though. I was just stating that I don't think that equates to people around the country wanting to tune in to see us. Having a great fan base is different from acquiring great TV numbers on a national scale. Sure, all the Husker fans will watch, but what's the number of non-Husker fans that will? I don't think that number is very high and we don't get great TV numbers just from Husker fans watching.
Our games have high tv rankings also. I think it was a year or two ago we played Ohio state and it was one of the top ranked regular season games in regards to vierwship. Yes it was Ohio state but Ohio state is playing all kinds of other teams not getting near the viewership. You can find husker bars in almost every major city and Phoenix has a half dozen or so that are always packed.

Last edited:
Our games have high tv rankings also. I think it was a year or two ago we played Ohio state and it was one of the top ranked regular season games in regards to vierwship. Yes it was Ohio state but Ohio state is playing all kinds of other teams not getting near the viewership. You can find husker bars in almost every major city and Phoenix has a half dozen or so that are always packed.
I’ve found husker fans and bars all over this country. Obviously we need to start a new tradition of winning to get younger kids excited. I’m not interested in Kansas. The more I think about it they don’t move the needle much at all. Hopefully nothing happens. It was fun speculation but that’s it.

TOP 10 MOST-WATCHED COLLEGE FOOTBALL GAMES (2020)​

1. Nov. 7: Clemson vs. Notre Dame (NBC): 10.1 million
2. Dec. 19: Notre Dame vs. Clemson (ABC): 9.9 million
3. Oct. 17: Georgia vs. Alabama (CBS): 9.6 million
4. Dec. 19: Alabama vs. Florida (CBS): 8.9 million
5. Dec. 19: Ohio State vs. Northwestern (FOX): 8.0 million
6. Nov. 28: Alabama vs. Auburn (CBS): 6.7 million
7. Oct. 31: Ohio State vs. Penn State (ABC): 6.5 million
8. Nov. 7: Florida vs. Georgia (CBS): 6.3 million
9. Oct. 24: Nebraska vs. Ohio State (FOX): 6.2 million
10. Nov. 21: Indiana vs. Ohio State (FOX): 6.1 million

The key is Ohio State.

Four of the top 10 most watched games last season involved Ohio State. Even against Indiana (with zero football tradition) was nearly identical in viewership to OSU's matchup with Nebraska.

"Unfortunately for the Big 12 Conference, there were no Big 12 games in the Top 10 most-watched college football games of the 2020 season."

Notice how much down 2020 numbers were from 2019.

TOP 10 MOST-WATCHED COLLEGE FOOTBALL GAMES (2019)​

1. Nov. 9: LSU vs. Alabama (CBS): 16.6 million
2. Dec. 7: LSU vs. Georgia (CBS): 13.7 million
3. Dec. 7: Ohio State vs. Wisconsin (FOX): 13.6 million
4. Nov. 30: Ohio State vs. Michigan (FOX): 12.4 million

5. Nov. 30: Alabama vs. Auburn (CBS): 11.4 million
6. Nov. 23: Penn State vs. Ohio State (FOX): 9.4 million
7. Sept. 21: Notre Dame vs. Georgia (CBS): 9.3 million
8. Dec. 7: Oklahoma vs. Baylor (ESPN): 8.7 million
9. Sept. 9: LSU vs. Texas (ABC): 8.6 million
10: Oct. 12: Oklahoma vs. Texas (FOX): 7.3 million

The key again, Ohio State.

I do tend to think not many non-winning teams are a bigger draw than Nebraska. Not sure how much longer that could continue, but we tend to be eternal optimists.

Last edited:

Contrary to what we as Husker fans like to think of ourselves, outside of the Midwest region of the country, not too many care about tuning in to watch us play. Not now, and not then. I don't believe we were added for our TV numbers, but I'd be willing to admit I'm wrong of there's some stats out there somewhere. When we came to the B1G, we weren't a great team. Decent, but not great. I don't think TV drove that decision by the B1G brass as much as our history, location, culture, support, etc. did. Just my opinion.
Have you listened to Doc Talk? Apparently, our brand still ranks well, despite our less than stellar on field performance. If this is truly about money, then those kind of numbers actually will matter.

The Texas v Oklahoma game last year only got 4.8 million to watch. But of course if we continue the 5-7 records viewership will go down

I’ve found husker fans and bars all over this country. Obviously we need to start a new tradition of winning to get younger kids excited. I’m not interested in Kansas. The more I think about it they don’t move the needle much at all. Hopefully nothing happens. It was fun speculation but that’s it.
We just don’t have fans that think. Delaney brought us in along with Maryland and Rutgers to expand their foot print. Same thing SEC is doing. Our short sighted fans want to counter the SEC expansion with Iowa State and Kansas. Seriously? I’m starting to think we as a fan base are so stupid we deserve where we are at.

We just don’t have fans that think. Delaney brought us in along with Maryland and Rutgers to expand their foot print. Same thing SEC is doing. Our short sighted fans want to counter the SEC expansion with Iowa State and Kansas. Seriously? I’m starting to think we as a fan base are so stupid we deserve where we are at.
Wow well I think most of them just have a soft spot for those old Big8 schools. If any of this even happens tge response needs to be bigger. I would be checking with Texas A&M, Florida St., Missouri, Clemson, Notre Dame, USC, and maybe the top four PAC schools. No one else moves the needle at all.

Wow well I think most of them just have a soft spot for those old Big8 schools. If any of this even happens tge response needs to be bigger. I would be checking with Texas A&M, Florida St., Missouri, Clemson, Notre Dame, USC, and maybe the top four PAC schools. No one else moves the needle at all.
I think that is the problem……believing that there has to be a response. There is no way you can match tx/ou.unless it includes ND. Bringing in Kansa and Iowa state decreases the aggrevate value of the entire conference plus it creates recruiting issues locally. Hell Texas a&m doesn’t want a second conference team in the entire state of Texas.

right now our closest recruiting competition in the B1G is 200 miles away and our fans want to diminish our TV revenue share and bring in two more teams even closer because of nostalgia? We are an absolutely stupid fan base. We just don’t get it.

There are fans and bars all over the country for almost all the top programs. LOL. It cracks me up how Husker fans think it's only us that have this type of following. No offense man. Just stating truth. People watched that Nebraska/Ohio State game more for Ohio State than Nebraska. I think it was around 6 million viewers? That's not many when it comes to TV ratings.

There are fans and bars all over the country for almost all the top programs. LOL. It cracks me up how Husker fans think it's only us that have this type of following. No offense man. Just stating truth. People watched that Nebraska/Ohio State game more for Ohio State than Nebraska. I think it was around 6 million viewers? That's not many when it comes to TV ratings.
It was top 10 last season.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back