• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

For Supporters and Trust of Matt Rhule.

Nebraska coaches said that Sims is an NFL caliber QB. He didn't show it last night. They also said that Grant is prone to fumbling, which he did show last night.

Makes me question their ability to judge talent on the one hand and their judgment on the other. Hope they are ready for prime-time next week.

I'm not sure how sane I am or how great a poster I am, but I make a great crawfish étouffée and can pick up heavy things, so there's that.

I understand the disappointment and frustration. Even those with a 'Wait and see' posture going into last night had to be disappointed when we somehow managed to 'Charlie Brown' ourselves again. I get it. This looked different. For those who say it didn't, we'll disagree. We played better football than I thought we would week 1 with a brand new staff and all the new faces on the field. Gives me hope that my year one expectations for this team are maybe a little low. I'm not at all interested in seeing a repeat of the turnovers and the 'Frost-esque' procedural penalties again, but there will be bumps in the road. Fix them. Rhule gets the first stab at that this upcoming week.
Seems to me you are attempting to make this a moral victory. There is no such thing. That's like claiming to be the best one-win team in the country. It's not that Nebraska lost, its that they gave it away...again.

Like I said, you can make certain arguments based on stats. I think he does good things and I would rather have him then not have him. I think he is ok. I would not call him our best DT.
Argue with this guy, he called him one of our best players on the team
Go to 7:30

Last edited:

Nebraska coaches said that Sims is an NFL caliber QB. He didn't show it last night. They also said that Grant is prone to fumbling, which he did show last night.

Makes me question their ability to judge talent on the one hand and their judgment on the other. Hope they are ready for prime-time next week.
Being NFL caliber and an NFL player are two different things. There are a lot of guys in college football who have the God given tools to play at the next level. The thing that sets those guys apart is the execution. NFL QBs have to be able to go through progressions, look off defenders, manipulate defenses, etc. There are learned skills that go beyond athletic ability.

I don't doubt he is NFL caliber. He is just nowhere near being an NFL player, right now. He has to improve in a number of areas to get there.

BREAKING NEWS: Change Huskers schedule ..... switched from FOX/FS1/BTN/NBC/CBS telecast to Comedy Central Network.

:Sarcastic:(or not)

Last edited:
Seems to me you are attempting to make this a moral victory. There is no such thing. That's like claiming to be the best one-win team in the country. It's not that Nebraska lost, its that they gave it away...again.

Not attempting to make it a moral victory at all. I'm not claiming we're anything but an 0-1 team with a game to get ready for next Saturday.

We lost.

I expected this game to be a loss going into the season.

We looked better than I expected in some areas and worse in others. How this staff and team responds week to week will tell me all I need to know.

If your only expectation is we win every game or we're failures, you're going to be very disappointed all year.

I trust Matt Rhule, his process. If he can't turn Nebraska around we are truly cursed. He's a proven winner in college football. GO BIG RED, GO MATT RHULE'S BIG RED! POST if you are with me for the next 3 or 6 years. Or if you are not, that's fine.
Matt Rhule didn't throw the 3 interceptions and he didn't miss a wide open receiver on the goal line at the end of the first half. BUT, and I have a big butt, does he have a QB to work with? Sims can run... albeit too many carries. Sims has a strong arm. But I seldom saw Sims turn his head when sitting in the pocket. It might have been just the TV, but he seemed to lock on his receivers and doesn't know what the word progression means.

Not impressed with the o-line, but they did play better in the second half.

My hat is off to Tony White and the D. They were hitting hard and played as a unit. The special teams rocked.

Back to Sims, briefly. Did he seem to pull the ball when he should have let the back keep it during RPO? 17 carries is an awful lot for a QB. Discipline!!!

I like Rhule a lot. He didn’t fumble or throw INTs. I liked his presser. I still think our ceiling in this conference is 8. Not this year or next year. But maybe year 3. I hoped we get to 6 this year but that offense is going to kill us. If we go 0-2 not sure we win 6.
The presser. Does Rhule, being the same age as the 'last guy', seem more mature than the 'last guy'?

I think he needs try Chubba for a game or two.

Don't think we've ever truly learned what talent our backup QBs have cuz they were in the hands of previously poor management/development and had crushing experiences. Like the idea of reintroducing some action for them.
What have we seen that would make us think Chubba or Haarberg would be anywhere close to as good as Sims? Just because there is an unknown, doesn't make it immediately better. Purdy has (checks notes) one career game of over 100 passing yards and that came back in 2020 in a loss to NC State [181 yards].

The coaching staff gets to see these guys everyday, and they have seemed to make it clear for a while now that Sims is the clear number one. If Thompson was still on the roster or even Smothers, you would have a better chance of talking me into this.

Sims interceptions kept us from winning, but we also wouldn't have been in the game without him, as he accounted for 70% of our total offense. This was game one against a defense that is normally one of the best in the country. Let's slow down the benching talk.

and I have a big butt
giphy.gif

What have we seen that would make us think Chubba or Haarberg would be anywhere close to as good as Sims? Just because there is an unknown, doesn't make it immediately better. Purdy has (checks notes) one career game of over 100 passing yards and that came back in 2020 in a loss to NC State [181 yards].

The coaching staff gets to see these guys everyday, and they have seemed to make it clear for a while now that Sims is the clear number one. If Thompson was still on the roster or even Smothers, you would have a better chance of talking me into this.

Sims interceptions kept us from winning, but we also wouldn't have been in the game without him, as he accounted for 70% of our total offense. This was game one against a defense that is normally one of the best in the country. Let's slow down the benching talk.
Don't disagree with your points... just think development is for everybody under this new staff.

I think the defense did a helluva job, and the OL is still very poor.

ST's much improved.

Overall, we are better.

Satterfield needs to play to Sims' strength (running), and not his weakness (passing).

What always frustrates me about these discussions is that you can see in the past with 100% clarity and looking into the future with 0 % clarity. Was kicking the field goal better to end the half. Looking back yes. But to see that in real time was uncertain. All these those that are arm chair coaches have all the answers but none of them have been called by any university to take over their program because of the amazing ability to see into the future. And also motivate young men to perform at their best and not ever make any mistakes. The kool aide still tastes as sweet as it did last week. Just keep drinking it and supporting the young men that represent us as a state and university. Have fun and Go Big Red

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back