• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

For Supporters and Trust of Matt Rhule.

Sims is career NCAA LEADER IN INTs and we had eight turnovers in the Spring game.

A good leader remembers those things and factors them in at the goal line with eight seconds to go.
Not even close. There are 11 pages on this web page, the lowest number of career INTs listed is 39. Sims has 26 INTs.

Rhule turned Temple around I watched him a little there, they were terrible not alot of talent but when he got it going they were a big strong fast physical team thst played smart. I was intrigued.

Then he goes to Waco, My son played for him for his first 2 years at Baylor. He was a 6th year Sr been through lot the 6 years he was there. Rhule actually cut his playing time his last year, for the most part benched him opting for younger players during the rebuild or process. I remember thinking the same thing watching that first year at Baylor as I did Temple, WHAT IN THE WORLD is Rhule doing?! Thought he totally destroyed the team that first year and some of the 2nd season. Baylor was not as bad a team when he got there as many many people believe, he tried to win but I think development was more importantto him. But by his last year there they were a big fast strong physical tough as s*** team. I was proud of the way they played, even when they lost. I was always happier when they won though lol. No knock on Briles liked him too but Rhule instilled a toughness and maturity in my son as a football player and a person that I loved, my kid did the work too always worked hard! It was almost like I was out there coaching him as a Dad. Loved it!

Fast forward to last night....it was like I was watching his first games at his other stops, alot of fixable mistakes, roster choices that are questionable playing time all that. But he will get it right, he's a smart smart guy and football coach.

How tough is chit:poop:? Inquiring minds want to know.

Whenever I step in it, it just goes squish.

Step-on-shit GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

C

Last edited:

Overall, we have some strengths and also some familiar weaknesses, which we're probably all tired of. Some of those weaknesses are going to be challenging to minimize in year 1, let alone completely fix.

Not clear we will get to 6 wins this year, which would be a major bummer, but either way I'm really confident we'll see the team improve over the course of the season. And then year by year.

We're husker fans, which in the 21st century has come to mean masochists. Wise masochists will try to enjoy the journey.

Last edited:
I chewed on this all night and wanted to put together my long form post. TLDR: this is not getting better this year because the offense is horrific. Sadly the same problems we saw in the game were the same problems we saw in spring practice.

The good: Our special teams improved significantly. Our defense was solid except the front 3 rarely got a pass rush. Our offensive line seems to have improved and I would argue that two of those sacks were on Sims (remember when I posted about completion percentage being a deceptive statistic because players took unnecessary sacks when they knew that was a metric?).

The what: What ever happened to Fidone, Ervin, the use of the FB or even Chief Borders. Chief is not even on the participation report. I saw one play where we used a FB in a traditional FB role. We used a total of 18 defenders. This is no different than the Frost era. It mostly seemed like we used the same players all game.

My issues: Minnesota is not a good team. This team replaced a lot of players this year and had two of their starting LBs injured. We also took out their best DL in the 3rd quarter. Could we move the ball? Not one bit. First and foremost we had to burn 3 timeouts during the game due to procedures or not getting the play in on time. Same problems from the spring game. We turned the ball over 4 times, and our output was pathetic. Everyone is talking about Ervin's ypg. Take his long run out and he is barely hitting 4 ypc. You need consistency, not home runs. This offense is going to continue to struggle all year. We have no true possession receiver. We have no true downfield threat. We have no power running game.

Sims was horrific. Three of his completions he never actually saw the reciever and we re great catches by the wideouts. For the game Sims was 11-19 with three interceptions and 3 sacks. That means that he was truly 11-22. That is not going to beat anyone.

But the worst part of thee game (IMO) was the blown opportunity at the end of the first half. Was it a TD by Grant? Probably. But with 11 seconds left you do NOT go for it from 6 with no timeouts. Why? If you get a hold, a sack, or are stopped short, you get zero points. This is football 101. Prior to the final drive we were barely moving the ball. To ask six yards and no mistakes is a big gamble. Those lost three points came up huge. In fact, IMO this was one of the worst calls in NU history. This is worse then the SF onside kick because you can still stop the drive after the onside kick. This is just taking points off the board. Oh, and if you have not seen the score, we lost by those exact same 3 points. When asked about it Rhule said he would do that again.

Finally, I see 2 games we should win on the schedule. I see another three tossups. Beyond that, 7 consecutive losing seasons.
You lost me with the second “horrific” In a single post.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back