• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

For Supporters and Trust of Matt Rhule.

What have we seen that would make us think Chubba or Haarberg would be anywhere close to as good as Sims? Just because there is an unknown, doesn't make it immediately better. Purdy has (checks notes) one career game of over 100 passing yards and that came back in 2020 in a loss to NC State [181 yards].

The coaching staff gets to see these guys everyday, and they have seemed to make it clear for a while now that Sims is the clear number one. If Thompson was still on the roster or even Smothers, you would have a better chance of talking me into this.

Sims interceptions kept us from winning, but we also wouldn't have been in the game without him, as he accounted for 70% of our total offense. This was game one against a defense that is normally one of the best in the country. Let's slow down the benching talk.
I think if Sims has 1 or 2 more games like last night we will definitely see one of the backups. You are right we have seen very little from Chubba that says he will be good but I think that last drive before he got hurt against Michigan some things started to click then the coaching change and now he's starting over again but I believe he has talent. The fact that he didn't transfer tells me Rhule likes him too. But I hear you.

What always frustrates me about these discussions is that you can see in the past with 100% clarity and looking into the future with 0 % clarity. Was kicking the field goal better to end the half. Looking back yes. But to see that in real time was uncertain. All these those that are arm chair coaches have all the answers but none of them have been called by any university to take over their program because of the amazing ability to see into the future. And also motivate young men to perform at their best and not ever make any mistakes. The kool aide still tastes as sweet as it did last week. Just keep drinking it and supporting the young men that represent us as a state and university. Have fun and Go Big Red
Very good points. In some cases, the plays (called) were there but didn't connect. With 11 seconds left in the half a shot to the end zone was one I'd take and the TE was open on the goal line. Sims didn't see him. A play in the second half to Kemp was wide open but the DB made a good play on the ball and batted it away. Those are two that stood out to me anyway.

I think too many are looking at this as Frost 2.0. When Rhule talks about standard it's real. Coaches won't stay in their rolls if the team doesn't look good game after game and I'm not saying he will fire them but there will be change in season. Upperclassmen Qb won't play if he can't take care of the ball. Sims made a bunch of plays, he also made some bad bad plays too.

Last edited:
Not attempting to make it a moral victory at all. I'm not claiming we're anything but an 0-1 team with a game to get ready for next Saturday.

We lost.

I expected this game to be a loss going into the season.

We looked better than I expected in some areas and worse in others. How this staff and team responds week to week will tell me all I need to know.

If your only expectation is we win every game or we're failures, you're going to be very disappointed all year.
I have no such expectation. MN did NOT beat NE. NE beat NE. Rinse and repeat.

I trust Rhule, will he get it done only time will tell, we did see some good things, and as we all noticed we did some stupid and bad things. My question to any fan is, what did you expect from game 1 on the Road? Are we basing game one as a guide to the next 4 years. Next question for us fans is some that are so fed up with this team after game 1 sorry, but bye bye now, if you want to cheer for a team that wins 90 percent of their games I hear Georgia would be a great team for you to follow instead of the Huskers. I hope, as we all do that, we get to that 90 percent again, and nobody wants it more than these kids. This may be too harsh of criticism, but I am disappointed in the fans more than I am the team. It's been a long 20 years I think we can wait a couple more if needed. GBR!!!!

What always frustrates me about these discussions is that you can see in the past with 100% clarity and looking into the future with 0 % clarity. Was kicking the field goal better to end the half. Looking back yes. But to see that in real time was uncertain. All these those that are arm chair coaches have all the answers but none of them have been called by any university to take over their program because of the amazing ability to see into the future. And also motivate young men to perform at their best and not ever make any mistakes. The kool aide still tastes as sweet as it did last week. Just keep drinking it and supporting the young men that represent us as a state and university. Have fun and Go Big Red
Love your thoughts man and you are so correct GBR keep the faith

I trust Rhule, will he get it done only time will tell, we did see some good things, and as we all noticed we did some stupid and bad things. My question to any fan is, what did you expect from game 1 on the Road? Are we basing game one as a guide to the next 4 years. Next question for us fans is some that are so fed up with this team after game 1 sorry, but bye bye now, if you want to cheer for a team that wins 90 percent of their games I hear Georgia would be a great team for you to follow instead of the Huskers. I hope, as we all do that, we get to that 90 percent again, and nobody wants it more than these kids. This may be too harsh of criticism, but I am disappointed in the fans more than I am the team. It's been a long 20 years I think we can wait a couple more if needed. GBR!!!!
Again great post

Just keep in mind sir that this is just a small sampling of the fanbase if your sample size is this forum. Although statistically you might have an argument that it is a large group of idiots out there because I see more negative idiotic comments than realistic comments. I guess some people just like living in the negative. I choose not to. Keep up the positive vibes man.

Remember, coaches calls plays based on how they should work as opposed to what our execution delivers. I would guess these new coaches adjust as the season goes on to call plays that favor our strengths as they see how we develop. I don’t really fault Rhule with anything last night. 4 turnovers when you’re not very good is nearly impossible to overcome.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back