• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked For People Wanting Frost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't happen. Watch the game.
Our offensive line against their DL was probably a standoff, but our DL lost their war big time. On the quarterback sneak that sealed the game, Minnesota's entire line finished several yards into the end zone. The play reminded me of a nearly identical score by Scott Frost against Tennessee.

Please explain if our def line was pushed back 4 yards every play and our off line had someone in the backfield every play how we are the team with better talent. I think it is just hilarious that just because we are Nebraska, everybody just assumes our talent is better. Pretty obvious it wasn't

There are definitely games where very talented players get outperformed by an opposing team that doesn't have the same level of talent. A clear example would be a few of Pete Carroll's losses at USC late in his tenure. By that time, he had top recruiting class after top recruiting class after top recruiting class.

If you watch the 2008 game against Oregon State, you'll see USC's offensive and especially defensive lines get completely blown off the ball. I'm sure you'll agree that USC had more talented players than Oregon State that year. The same for 2007 against Stanford, when USC was a 41 point favorite. The USC players got complacent and thought they could beat these teams simply by showing up. Instead, they got punched in the mouth and in result lost the games.

Sometimes swagger can go a long way. Look at Nebraska's run in the 1990s. When we beat Florida 62-24, Virginia Tech 41-21, and Tennessee 42-17, do you really think our lines were that much more talented than theirs? I don't think the gap was THAT big if anything at all, we just dominated those games because we had swagger and we wanted it more.

Talent isn't the only factor. And I didn't even bring up coaching. That's obviously another part of it. You can coach up players to perform better (like how Bo was able to get more out of Callahan's players, etc.).

Bugs--------------21 out of 36!!!!!!!!!!! Is that a Huskermax record?????????????? Reminds me of Poker games in Vegas I have played in. The rest of the table from annoyance puts up a dollar figure betting the "Bug" at the table can't keep his mouth shut for one hour. Never have seen the 'Bug" win the money in 20 years playing out here.

Of course he will be different in 2-5 years. He will be that no matter what happens. Point being, in another 2-5 years you can say "in another 2-5 years he'll be a better coach" and continue to do that. It's kinda like getting a new computer. You can wait 2-5 more years and get a better computer, but that's not saying that getting a computer now can't exceed your expectations and do for you exactly what you need it to.

Well, I do know that the phone that I owned right out of college couldn't do 1/4 of the things I would need it to do today. So, with this logic, at this point SF is probably that old Samsung with the green screen. I don't think he will be and Iphone next year or anytime soon but he could possibly be so sort of Smartphone in a year or two. I say if you give him time and let him evolve in the game, then when/if we do get him here, he can avoid certain mistakes because he learned from them as a OC.

Watching that game, I think we had the edge talent-wise. If Beck had called more running plays, we would've won the game. The problem wasn't the talent difference. At worst, our talent was even with Minnesota's. The problem was we got OUT-COACHED. That happens far too often with this crew. When we are consistently being out-coached in games we should win, then I think it's time for some new coaches.

I hope Bo can win out and win the conference. Or even just be competitive with Ohio State in the championship game. That honestly would restore my faith in the guy. Unfortunately, with the way we've been playing, I just don't see that happening.

I'd saw that we do have better talent than Minnesota, but not by much... at least on D. The recruiting for defensive players hasn't been even close to where it needs to be. There was no reason that we shouldn't have been able to outscore Minnesota though. We have way too much talent on that side of the ball to be playing the way we are. I'll agree that the coaches called a horrible game. We should have run the ball more, played Armstrong & Kellogg, and the D needed to be more aggressive..... all on the coaches.

Well, I do know that the phone that I owned right out of college couldn't do 1/4 of the things I would need it to do today. So, with this logic, at this point SF is probably that old Samsung with the green screen. I don't think he will be and Iphone next year or anytime soon but he could possibly be so sort of Smartphone in a year or two. I say if you give him time and let him evolve in the game, then when/if we do get him here, he can avoid certain mistakes because he learned from them as a OC.

Or, he could be an iPhone 4s right now, as opposed to an iPhone 5s. Is one better than the other? Sure. Does that mean an iPhone 4s can't do what most who want a smart phone to do? Nope. My point is, we're gonna know as much about how Frost will do here now as we will in 3 years. Unless of course, he totally falls on his face between now and then.

If the debate is whether we do or do not have better talent than Minnesota then Pelini needs to go right now. I refuse to believe they are better than us with their players v. ours. Yes, I know we lost by double digits. But their scheme coupled with our players terrible mistakes made them better this past weekend. I understand that playing intelligently is all part of being a good player as well, but if we have fallen to the talent level of Minnesota, it is time to move on.

duty_calls.png

A few differences though... Pelini never recruited. I'm not saying he didn't recruit well, I'm saying HE DIDN'T EVEN RECRUIT. He never did any recruiting at LSU. There was an article about it before he was hired. It should've raised a red flag but we all chose to overlook it. Frost, on the other hand, has been well regarded as a recruiter. He pulled De'Anthony Thomas out from USC's backyard (literally, he lived 10 minutes away from campus). Thomas personally thanked Frost at his signing ceremony.

Another difference is Pelini is strictly a defensive guy. That's all he had coached from day one. Frost played quarterback in college and then played safety in the pros. He worked as a defensive coordinator for an FCS power and now works as an OC for Oregon. He's much more well-rounded than Pelini.

You make some good points here. The fact that Pelini never recruited before is really starting to show, especially on the defense. We're not even close to be as talented on D as we need to be. I think Frost would have no issue when it comes to recruiting. He's a heck of a lot more personable that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back