• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked For People Wanting Frost

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, i'd like to say as much as I want the season to play out, I do think the writing is on the wall. I am going to cheer as much as I can for Husker victories til' the end of the year, but if a change happens, it happens. I do want to just shed some light on what will be needed for Scott Frost to take the position here. Keep in mind this is just stuff i'm piecing together from what i'm hearing. I do have connections, but Eichorst is a new AD that no one really knows much about at this point, so no one has a ton of experience dealing with him and his wants. But here is what Frost would need to sell to SE:

Sexy Offense
First, while it is true that Frost would be like Solich and Bo as a first time head coach coming out of the coordinator spot, I think Frost would actually be a "splash" hire. Former QB for the Huskers and currently running the most electric offense in college. I understand he didn't create it, but he has the keys right now. Every kid in high school knows of the Ducks and their high-tempo offense, and they want to be apart of it.

Recruiting
My biggest fear is whether people know what it takes to get recruits to Lincoln when they are coming from somewhere that is in a recruiting hot-bed/and or are a recruiting magnet like Oregon is. Here is their past recruiting classes and how many of their kids were not local (2013- 12/19, 2012 - 14/21, 2011 - 16/23). I understand Oregon is easier to recruit to then Nebraska, but he at least knows how to get kids from further away there. But he is also bringing something new to the table and it will be new for everyone in the program and no upper classmen will have an advantage over a prospect. That will get recruits attention. They want to be a part of something like that, and truth be told, if this decision is made in December I think Frost could salvage a recruiting class as the pitch would be "we are going to be running a brand new offense so we need to recruit to it, and it will be just as new to you as it is to the kids already at the school, you have a chance to come in and play". Lets be honest, the recruiting class isn't all that great right now, but as everyone has said, there is a ways to go. Monte Harrison probably isn't going to decommit as he is committed to Erstad as well and the offensive recruits would say "oh man, we are going to be running Oregon's offense" (which by the way Beck sells to recruits as what he wants to emulate). Another thing in the recruiting front that Frost can sell is that for every year he has been at Oregon, they have not had ONE SINGLE academic casualty in their recruiting class. They know how to classify kids and target people, and I would think Eichorst would take notice of that.

Coordinators
This will win or lose him the job in my opinion. Eichorst is only going to take a chance on him if he says he will get coordinators with experience. SE will put the axe to a Scott Frost experience in my opinion if he says "well i'm hoping to bring our DL coach and make him D-coordinator and bring our receivers coach and have him be our O-coordinator". Eichorst won't want to deal with another coordinator proving ground and just having position coaches get their feet wet here again. I think he could get over the fact that Frost has no head coach experience, if he surrounds himself with the right people. The wild card to this is basically that we would be bringing Frost in, for one of the big reasons, so we can get that Oregon offense here. The head coach isn't coming here to be Frost's o-coordinator, and I doubt Chip Kelly would, so he may be bringing a position coach as his o-coordinator, but his d-coordinator better be someone EXTREMELY strong, otherwise I think Eichorst won't take the chance. I think SE will want to be able to say to himself, ok Frost may struggle a bit his first couple years but we have this guy to coach our defense and weather the storm. My buddy who has a connection to Oregon said Scott could get one of the position coaches to come be his coordinator that wouldn't be getting the promotion to OC out there, even though he thinks it would be a tough sell. I'll quote him on the next one "or he may just get Turner Gill and blow the collective minds of Husker Nation as a PR move"

Getting Frost at a Discount
He is making 367,584 this year as an o-coordinator. We could get him here for under 2 million and give him a ton of performance based bonuses such as 100k for winning legends, 200k for conference championship, 250k for BCS bowl (don't kill my numbers there but just throwing that out there). This will make it so he can stock his cupboard full of the best assistants possible with more money to spread around to his assistants if we give him a lower salary, and maybe more money for full time recruiting staffs.

I'm not saying Pelini will be fired, but the collective thoughts on a lot of message boards and people I talk to is that while there MIGHT be better options out there, Frost isn't a completely stupid move. If we swing and miss on our first 2 or 3 options which may very well happen with USC and possibly Texas looking, Frost would not be a terrible hire. I understand the similarities to Bo, but I also understand the differences. Frost has a ton of "swagger" that recruits would gravitate towards, much like what Kingsbury is doing down at Texas Tech. Just some thoughts, as I realize a thread devoted to how Frost can win the job as HC looks like i'm campaigning for it, but there are definite pros and cons. SE has a tough decision on his hands the next couple months. Keep who you have if he wins out? Just start over and go with a proven coach? Or go after a Husker legend that won the school a national championship?

Apologize about the 100th thread started about this...

If Bo wins out, I cant see him getting fired in any scenario. 10-2 is too good.

Good arguments on Frost, but I'm still in the "not experienced as a HC and not seasoned enough" camp.

Good arguments on Frost, but I'm still in the "not experienced as a HC and not seasoned enough" camp.

I agree, this post was basically made from my buddy who has connections to Oregon and Nebraska and wants Frost here. I think he is too green, but we haven't had a conference championship in however long it is so I don't think anything is going to be immediate in terms of wins.

EDIT: I didn't want to mislead, I wrote this post based on texts exchanged with him.

Last edited:
good post, I believe the Huskers will go 8-4 and experience a 2002 redux with Bo being told he has another year but needs to make changes to the staff.......

good post, I believe the Huskers will go 8-4 and experience a 2002 redux with Bo being told he has another year but needs to make changes to the staff.......

I have to ask which games are the three wins? I think we have good shot against Iowa and NW but MSU, MU and PSU are going to be really tough. Out of those three would you be with the home game for the third win?

Last edited:

You might be right, but if Eichorst decides Bo must go it all comes down to who can you get. Most of the names thrown around on the boards lately have little to no chance of happening. There are probably less than a half dozen names who are a real possibility.

scott frost isnt experienced enuf yet to be HC. I love the guy, and hope he gets there, but I dont know if he would want to come to this pressure cooker-fish bowl. People continually complaining about a coach that wins 10 games annually. I dont know with the way todays game is played and recruited, if Nebr will ever be more than that.

Even if Nick Saban comes here, hes not gonna get as good a recruits as he gets in Alabama, thats a fact. our expectations can not be what they were 16 years ago. its a different enviornment now

Thanks *** - I really enjoy your input. Definitely some good points to at least consider.

I am VERY concerned about him being green but I also know Scott is a fighter, understands the Nebraska way, can communicate to players AND the press, and probably considers Nebraska a destination job for life. And at his age that would bring the coaching continuity I like (assuming he works out).

What do you think the odds are that he would consider making a lateral move and come in as the OC under either BO or a new HC? It would give him more time to grow and be groomed as our next HC down the road.

It's only fun when you win every game otherwise we have "Meltdown Mondays".

I'd like to see Frost back here at some time but next year, idk.

I would miss meltdown Mondays...but really that aren't what they use to be. How many people have gotten vacations this year? With how this season has gone there hasn't really been an epic MM.

First of all, i'd like to say as much as I want the season to play out, I do think the writing is on the wall. I am going to cheer as much as I can for Husker victories til' the end of the year, but if a change happens, it happens. I do want to just shed some light on what will be needed for Scott Frost to take the position here. Keep in mind this is just stuff i'm piecing together from what i'm hearing. I do have connections, but Eichorst is a new AD that no one really knows much about at this point, so no one has a ton of experience dealing with him and his wants. But here is what Frost would need to sell to SE:

Sexy Offense
First, while it is true that Frost would be like Solich and Bo as a first time head coach coming out of the coordinator spot, I think Frost would actually be a "splash" hire. Former QB for the Huskers and currently running the most electric offense in college. I understand he didn't create it, but he has the keys right now. Every kid in high school knows of the Ducks and their high-tempo offense, and they want to be apart of it.

Recruiting
My biggest fear is whether people know what it takes to get recruits to Lincoln when they are coming from somewhere that is in a recruiting hot-bed/and or are a recruiting magnet like Oregon is. Here is their past recruiting classes and how many of their kids were not local (2013- 12/19, 2012 - 14/21, 2011 - 16/23). I understand Oregon is easier to recruit to then Nebraska, but he at least knows how to get kids from further away there. But he is also bringing something new to the table and it will be new for everyone in the program and no upper classmen will have an advantage over a prospect. That will get recruits attention. They want to be a part of something like that, and truth be told, if this decision is made in December I think Frost could salvage a recruiting class as the pitch would be "we are going to be running a brand new offense so we need to recruit to it, and it will be just as new to you as it is to the kids already at the school, you have a chance to come in and play". Lets be honest, the recruiting class isn't all that great right now, but as everyone has said, there is a ways to go. Monte Harrison probably isn't going to decommit as he is committed to Erstad as well and the offensive recruits would say "oh man, we are going to be running Oregon's offense" (which by the way Beck sells to recruits as what he wants to emulate). Another thing in the recruiting front that Frost can sell is that for every year he has been at Oregon, they have not had ONE SINGLE academic casualty in their recruiting class. They know how to classify kids and target people, and I would think Eichorst would take notice of that.

Coordinators
This will win or lose him the job in my opinion. Eichorst is only going to take a chance on him if he says he will get coordinators with experience. SE will put the axe to a Scott Frost experience in my opinion if he says "well i'm hoping to bring our DL coach and make him D-coordinator and bring our receivers coach and have him be our O-coordinator". Eichorst won't want to deal with another coordinator proving ground and just having position coaches get their feet wet here again. I think he could get over the fact that Frost has no head coach experience, if he surrounds himself with the right people. The wild card to this is basically that we would be bringing Frost in, for one of the big reasons, so we can get that Oregon offense here. The head coach isn't coming here to be Frost's o-coordinator, and I doubt Chip Kelly would, so he may be bringing a position coach as his o-coordinator, but his d-coordinator better be someone EXTREMELY strong, otherwise I think Eichorst won't take the chance. I think SE will want to be able to say to himself, ok Frost may struggle a bit his first couple years but we have this guy to coach our defense and weather the storm. My buddy who has a connection to Oregon said Scott could get one of the position coaches to come be his coordinator that wouldn't be getting the promotion to OC out there, even though he thinks it would be a tough sell. I'll quote him on the next one "or he may just get Turner Gill and blow the collective minds of Husker Nation as a PR move"

Getting Frost at a Discount
He is making 367,584 this year as an o-coordinator. We could get him here for under 2 million and give him a ton of performance based bonuses such as 100k for winning legends, 200k for conference championship, 250k for BCS bowl (don't kill my numbers there but just throwing that out there). This will make it so he can stock his cupboard full of the best assistants possible with more money to spread around to his assistants if we give him a lower salary, and maybe more money for full time recruiting staffs.

I'm not saying Pelini will be fired, but the collective thoughts on a lot of message boards and people I talk to is that while there MIGHT be better options out there, Frost isn't a completely stupid move. If we swing and miss on our first 2 or 3 options which may very well happen with USC and possibly Texas looking, Frost would not be a terrible hire. I understand the similarities to Bo, but I also understand the differences. Frost has a ton of "swagger" that recruits would gravitate towards, much like what Kingsbury is doing down at Texas Tech. Just some thoughts, as I realize a thread devoted to how Frost can win the job as HC looks like i'm campaigning for it, but there are definite pros and cons. SE has a tough decision on his hands the next couple months. Keep who you have if he wins out? Just start over and go with a proven coach? Or go after a Husker legend that won the school a national championship?

Apologize about the 100th thread started about this...

Nice post and very well thought out.

Here's the thing about Frost--he's going to have offers at the end of the year. He's seen as an up-and-comer and he's calling plays for the top offense in the game right now. Not to say any of those said offers will be good, but sooner rather than later you're going to be looking at Scott Frost, HC. I guess the question becomes, do we want to see him cut his teeth elsewhere for a few years, or is the timing going to be right for him to replace Bo at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back