• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Feels like 1969

You are wrong, he primarily played I-back. Orduna was out Frank Vactor might have also been injured. He had a great year at I-back for a sophomore.
Yeah now I remember Orduna being hurt now. Kinney caught quite a few passes but he was a runningback. He was a great player. I remember his high school days. He dominated at McCook! He came and played against my hometown and I believe he scored 6 td's.

Yeah now I remember Orduna being hurt now. Kinney caught quite a few passes but he was a runningback. He was a great player. I remember his high school days. He dominated at McCook! He came and played against my hometown and I believe he scored 6 td's.
Wasn't he a QB in HS? That's what I remember anyway...

Last edited:
How negative can one poster get? Kinney had plenty of talent to break plays in the backfield, but sometimes the guy is right on you and NO ONE can break the tackle...AND YET, the vast majority of players will make the catch and lose yardage. Kinney was far smarter than the average player and as talented as most, especially at breaking tackles. At times, your penchant for arguing and negativity makes you look like a non-fan trolling this board.
Hey, jag-off, I was agreeing with you.

You're the one who called me negative, jag-off.
Your negativism was directed at Jeff Kinney, a Husker all-time great, sheer stupidity. Yeah, I tend to defend great players when the trolls come out.

Back to 1969, it was a great year and set us up nicely for 2 NC's and without Kinney, we don't beat Oklahoma 3 straight.

Last edited:

I think if MR can get back to 9 wins this year, that will be an accomplishment. I can't foresee a breakout year, with all the changes in defense, and only 4 returning starters on offense.

Time to earn his salary.

GBR

This is such an insult to the memory of the Bobfather its unbelievable. Devaney had 1 losing season prior to 69. Riley, at least a half dozen. Devaney came into a losing program and immediately turned it into a winner. Riley came into a winning program and immediately turned it into a loser. MR has made some good changes to his defensive staff. Let's let those play out before drawing parallels to a great coach and a lifetime mediocre coach.

This is such an insult to the memory of the Bobfather its unbelievable. Devaney had 1 losing season prior to 69. Riley, at least a half dozen. Devaney came into a losing program and immediately turned it into a winner. Riley came into a winning program and immediately turned it into a loser. MR has made some good changes to his defensive staff. Let's let those play out before drawing parallels to a great coach and a lifetime mediocre coach.
Devaney did come in as a head coach as the 4th choice and did turn huskers right around going 9-2. A couple of 6-4 seasons in 67, 68 had fans thinking he peaked. Then he made the hire that changed husker football. Tom changed the offense to the I, and the rest is history. Give this coach a chance. Bob had to make changes to get to the top, and he got really lucky with Osborne. Riley with the time to recruit and make necessary changes may take us to the top again. The fan base is united. Our coach is respected. He is doing it the. Right way. We need a little patience. GBR !!!

Devaney never had a losing season...learn your history before blathering about it.

Accurate post by Bman. Spot on. I remember that we really were thinking we had made a major mistake with him. As the years pass, people forget about it. I recall the 50 yard field goal in the stadium to beat Wyoming at the last minute during those years. To beat Wyoming, for goodness sakes! C'mon. They weren't any good. People forget about games like that, or the 16-14 victory over Missouri with a last minute field goal down there. From this distance, everything looks easier and more glorious than it really was. He had troubles until he got the I formation going and got two or three really good recruiting classes in a role. I recall Osborne telling a close friend of mine that they got everyone they really wanted in one of those classes. That included players that couldn't get into the school now, of course, for academic reasons. Things were different then. But your comments were spot on Bman.

My bad. He was 4-3-3 in 57. I looked at it quickly. And yet you see parallels? That only makes your case worse.
I've never made any comparison between Devaney and Riley, so quit throwing up crap in your posts and stick to what people actually post. There are lots of comparisons to be made between the 1969 team and this year's team...it's quite exciting to see. Now, play killjoy all you want...guys like you can be found by the dozen standing at every game shouting at the coaches for every offensive play that doesn't break for more than 5 yards and screaming whenever the defense gives up a first down. They know little to nothing about football or coaching, and learned their X's and O's playing tic-tac-toe.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back