• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Feels like 1969

Or Ron Dayne.
Irrelevant and not at all related to the fact that you said.
A. We would need a great back when I pointed out that the team example you gave for a team had a back that was not that great till his senior year.
b. Then you set the need for "High end speed" would be required. To which I replied Neither did the back from A. So then you moved the topic to a RB from a team that also did not win a NC.

Great RB's that don't have top end speed are rare. Ron Dayne had great power and balance. Yes, there are exceptions.

I don't think you can compare any of UNL's current RB's to any CF RB's who were considered great, but to each his own. If you think our RB's have NFL potential, that's cool. I hope you are right. I'd say Bryant has the most untapped potential of the group.

Of course, offensive line, timing, and chemistry of the offense will have a lot to do with the effectiveness of our RB's.

Last edited:

Does this mean that the Mets will win the world series? Or just that we're headed to El Paso for our bowl game?

I don't think it has anything to do with the 1969 Mets. But you should count on us beating Georgia 45-6 in El Paso before the year is out!

:Corn2:

Or Ron Dayne.

If you think this Husker squad has another Ron Dayne, Billy Simms, Joe Washington, Adrian Pederson, Monte Ball or Melvin Gordon to count on this year or next, I'd say your off-season ecstasy is fully charged.

Nor do they have the lines, the defense or the coaching. There is not anything on this staff that compares to Bob Devaney, TO and Monte Kiffin. This feels the Bill Callahan era to me.

Greatness requires the potential for greatness. I don't see an Ahmann Green on our current roster.

But certainly none of our RB's have reached their full potential. I thought Newby improved a lot from his junior to senior to year. I suspect there is some good RB coaching going that will enable our RB's to reach their potential.

Wilbon definitely has some good quickness. Bryant has an Emmitt Smith type vison and slipperiness. Ozigbo is steady (like Monte Anthony). But none of them have break away speed, and you can't teach speed. IMO, top end speed is what prevented Abdullah and Burkehead from being great and what enabled Green and Phillips to be great.
How can one judge "break away speed" until the offensive line creates holes for backs to gain access to the second/third levels of the opposing defense? It all starts in the trenches, folks. It does not matter the "star factor" of the "flash and dash" guys unless the hogs dominate the game. That is where we need to channel our enthusiasms.

How can one judge "break away speed" until the offensive line creates holes for backs to gain access to the second/third levels of the opposing defense? It all starts in the trenches, folks. It does not matter the "star factor" of the "flash and dash" guys unless the hogs dominate the game. That is where we need to channel our enthusiasms.
It certainly does start in the trenches, and there's plenty of work to be done there. But if we want to turn our 8-15 yard runs into even bigger gains, our receivers need to be better downfield blockers.

Nor do they have the lines, the defense or the coaching. There is not anything on this staff that compares to Bob Devaney, TO and Monte Kiffin. This feels the Bill Callahan era to me.
I thought you never slammed Nebraska players?

Great RB's that don't have top end speed are rare. Ron Dayne had great power and balance. Yes, there are exceptions.

I don't think you can compare any of UNL's current RB's to any CF RB's who were considered great, but to each his own. If you think our RB's have NFL potential, that's cool. I hope you are right. I'd say Bryant has the most untapped potential of the group.

Of course, offensive line, timing, and chemistry of the offense will have a lot to do with the effectiveness of our RB's.

Correct!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back